LGBT Parenting
Options

Suggestions?

How old should our little ones be before we start them on cereal?  I don't feel ready to start my little one on it *cereal or solids) yet but I'm being pressured into starting by my partner..

Re: Suggestions?

• Options

There is really no right answer to give on this - its one of those topics in which there are a million different opinions and you have to find the right fit for your family and baby.  Some people start cereal at 3 months, some wait until 6, and some choose to skip cereal all together and start with more nutritionally dense foods.

We chose to start rosebud on cereal at 5 1/2 months when she was showing readiness signs.  She wasnt a big fan so we quickly (within a few days) moved onto other foods like avacado and banana.  For the first couple months she was hardly consuming anything, it was more for the practice.

• Options

I totally agree with CTBride. Every family needs to figure out what works for your baby.  In general though most solids are started between 4-6 months.

And I want to add that I think your little man is very handsome!! :-)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I agree with PP's, you have to decide what is best for your LO but it can be hard when partners disagree.

There are more and more people waiting until 6 months though and starting with non-traditional first foods. We waited and we started with avocado. Is he showing signs of being ready/interest in food? That might help you decide.

Check out wholesomebabyfood.com for some helpful information.

• Options

I agree with the others that it is personal preference/child readiness. I talked to the pediatricans where I work and the consensus seemed to be 5-6m, so we split the difference and went with 5.5m . We did oatmeal first (vs rice) since rice can be binding, and we already had enough issues with that in our house! :)

Good luck!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.. LB is handsome!  He's a wonderful little one.  He does show some interest in food but not a whole lot.  This morning he did protest that we were eating, so I nursed him while I was eating.. which worked out for us (Whew! We were having crepes!)... He's a great nurser and I'm glad to hear that some of your post said about waiting -- He just "spills" whatever cereal that goes into his mouth - (I tried a tiny bit to satisfied my partner).. it seems that I am going to wait a bit and just do it once in a while until I realize that he's really ready.  I have already gotten some starter food for him to try (he does love bananas!)..
  • Options

I agree -- each family has to make their own choice. 

I was pretty conservative on this.  We started with some fruits and veggies some time between 5 and 6 months.  I would have waited but my partner wanted to start and she seemed interested in the food we were eating.  We quickly realized that really she was more interested in the spoon.  So while we ate she played with the spoon for a while.  I don't remember when we started grains but I had read in a few places that their intestines are not developed enough until about 8 months to really digest grains fully, so we delays.  I know this goes against mainstream ideas but besides reading it, our holistic doc recommended delaying, as well.  Don't know if we made the right choice but she is a great eater and loves all kinds of veggies and fruit (could be totally unrelated).

Good luck with your choice. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"