Baby Names
Options

Holland as a girls' name

I haven't told anyone our names yet, but after going back and forth between Holly and Holland for a first name for our girl, I feel like I need some feedback.  I think we'd probably end up calling her Holly for the most part anyway, but honestly I think I love Holland as the long form or her name and would be perfectly happy if she chooses to use it one day.  So I suppose I'm a little apprehensive about negative feedback, but it would be good to know if the general reaction to Holland is "that's like the country" or "very out there celebrity sounding."  I'm not trying to pick something kooky and made-up sounding.

Middle name would be Joanna if that matters. 

Re: Holland as a girls' name

• Options
    I dont think its too crazy..I kinda like it and if you love it go for it!  I only advise against crazy names when there isnt really a good nn she can use if she hates it, but Holly is pretty  :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

11.10.10 from my belly to my heart at 11wks 5days

• Options
    I like Holly a lot.  Holland is really nms.  I don't think the names of countries, states, or cities should be used as names for babies, but that's just my opinion.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I really like Holland.
  • Options
    I don't hate it. Holly is cute.
    P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • Options

Old thread about Holland:

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/25535653/ShowThread.aspx

Honestly, after seeing some of the names that come up, Holland is no longer showing up on my "huh?" radar anymore. Sure it's a country, and I'm not a fan of place names, but I don't hate it. I think once it gets enough use, it won't appear made up anymore - just trendy, but yes - as far as a name goes, it just looks like people loved the name Holly and tried to find a more formal version and landed with Holland. (or landed on Holland, lol)

BUT if you can't take the heat of the name, I'd advise against it - any heat you're getting isn't going to be short-lived compared to someone who has to live with the name for her entire life.

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • Options
    I think I actually really like it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • Options
    I like it! It's different but in a good way I think! I also like the name Hollis which is similar.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have a cousin named Holland.  She went by Holly as a little girl, but she goes by Holland now. (She just graduated college)

The name is nms, but not crazy :)

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Holland is NMS because it's a place name.  BUT I really like "Hollis," and knew a girl by that name in college.
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
  • Options
    imagejoanithegreat:
    I like Holly a lot.  Holland is really nms.  I don't think the names of countries, states, or cities should be used as names for babies, but that's just my opinion.
    i agree.
  • Options
    I know a Holland, but he's a man, and in his 30s. So, I perceived the name as masculine initially; I guess I can see it as unisex. I don't have any objection to place names and I rather like the sound of Holland, so I say go for it. Just please, continue to spell it correctly: )
  • Options
    The only Holland I know is a little boy, he is 2.  I think it is really cute, and I think it could be unisex, especially with the nn Holly.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I like both! Definitely not too out there in my opinion.
    missed miscarriage began 04/08, ended 07/08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Holly is not a nickname like Betty or Susie. It's a plant name all on its own. Do you want to name your daughter after the plant or the country?
  • Options
    I actually really like that. I went to school with siblings with the last name Holland so I would assume it was your maiden name or your mom's maiden name.
  • Options
    coktcokt member
    I have a good friend named Holland and I really like it. She has never used a nn. I think it is a pretty name and unique enough without being weird.
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone.  I needed to hear that it wasn't a totally crazy name, and am fine that not everyone loves it.  As long as not everyone hates it, I think we'll go with it. :)
  • Options
    I worked with a holland, that went by holly... I think its pretty!
  • Options
    Holland isn't my personal style, but it is a really pretty name
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I like having Holland as a grown-up option.  Holly is cute but doesn't age well, imo.
  • Options
    I'm surprised to admit that I actually like it!  It's cute - and I usually don't like place names.
  • Options
    I think Holland is masculine and would assume it was a boy until I met her or was told otherwise. I can see the appeal, but its a no for me. If you are going to call her Holly anyway, I would just name her Holly.
  • Options
    I really like it. It was on our list too... :-)
  • Options
    I think my preference would be to go with Holly.  It's pretty and feminine.  GL!
    mmc @ 14 weeks - November 2009. Missed every day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 15DPO:461 17DPO (47hrs later):1380
  • Options
    I like Holland. My best friend named her DD Holiday and they call her Holly. their LN is crazy common ( like Jones, Smith, Johnson, etc...)
    M/C 04-1999 Missed M/C 04-20-2005 M/C 11-09-2006 DD - Sable Ren
  • Options

imagek*princess:
    I think Holland is masculine and would assume it was a boy until I met her or was told otherwise. I can see the appeal, but its a no for me. If you are going to call her Holly anyway, I would just name her Holly.

This.

• Options
    I love it, and have a friend whose daughter is named Holland.  I would never think of it as a boys' name.
  • Options
    Its NMS, but I think its pretty. I also kinda like Ireland.

BabyName Ticker
  • Options

i like it! it's also my maiden name :)

I did have a girl in school w/ me growing up who's 1st name is Holland, she's gorgeous & was really popular. She didn't use a nickname.  

Even miracles take a little time - Cinderella

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"