Delaware Babies
Options

Relocating

My husband, daughter and I are looking to relocate to the Frankford area from New Jersey.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a daycare, a pediatrician, a general practioner (for my husband and I) and an ob?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!Smile

Re: Relocating

• Options

Hey there!  Just an FYI, you may want to post this on the DE Nest board as well, as the traffic over here is minimal...You may want to try the NJ and Philly boards as well.

In terms of OB, I LOVE my OB(s).  I am with Just For Women, which is located right next to the Christiana Mall in Stanton.  Dr. Alex Kirafides and Dr. Beth Shubert are amazing, and come highly recommended from others I know who are with them as well.  They always make you feel very comfortable (and confident in their abilities). They come highly recommended among their colleagues (my dad is a nurse anesthetist, and says they are always recommended).

Two things that make me really happy I went with them: a close friend of ours was 19 weeks along when her water broke.  She went to the ER, and they immediately wanted to abort.  They were close enough to morning that they waited for Dr. K and Dr. Beth to come in, and not only did they not abort because the baby was still okay and there was no sign of infection, but the drs listened to her and her husband.  Their 10 month old son is happy and healthy today (FYI, we consider him a miracle baby; her water resealed and she was fine for the rest of her pregnancy, albeit high risk).

The other thing that I love about them is their approach to starting a family when you have medical needs.  I have a spinal cord stimulator for RSD/CRPS (danged nerve causing chronic pain).  I knew there might be issues with getting an epidural and delivering and all with the stimulator implant, so before I had it put in, I talked with Dr. K.  He went over everything they would do, how he would be in constant contact with my pain management dr, how we would go about delivering (inducing me a little early because he wouldn't want to do an unneccessary section because any type of surgery can set off the RSD, that type of stuff), who he would have me talk to...he sat with me for a half hour talking about how we would go about it, discussing my fears and all, and really treating me with compassion.  

There is another big group in DE called All About Women.  I have actually heard mixed reviews about them; several friends go there, and weren't real happy with their bedside manner, their impatient dismissal of new mom fears, etc.  After talking with my dad and several of his collegues, the verdict seems to be that since they have gotten big (they have bought up several practices around NCCo, and have tons of doctors), their patient service has dropped off.  Since they are so big, you never know who might deliver you, or who you get at your checkup.  Just what I have heard on the streets, though.

For Pediatricians, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Dr. Jerald Eng with Brandywine Pediatrics.  They are one of the hardest pediatric groups to get in to; my sister and I were one of his very first patients because my mom worked with him in the ER when he was a resident.  I know he has been nominated and won several times for top doctor awards from Delaware Today (magazine).  The last time I was in there, I had just gotten engaged (he takes patients thru college or childbirth, whichever comes first), and I asked him if he would be my kids doctor.  He said he would be honored, which touched me.

My family uses Dr. Mullen and Dr. Jaffe in Pike Creek for family practice.  Since both my parents are nurses, they are picky with who they see and how they act and all.  They really like it here.

Since I don't have a kid, I can't help you with daycare, sorry.  Hope the info I gave here helped some though; feel free to email me at msbriarrose@gmail.com if you have other questions!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"