Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

7 week old eating 5oz every 3-4 hrs - too much?

I feel like DS is eating a lot (especially compared to others that have posted here!). He's eating only formula.

He's currently eating 5oz every 4 hours, sometimes only making it 3 hours. We recently changed, he was eating 4 oz every 2-3 hours.

Also, the past few days he's been sleeping less at night, 4 hours instead of the 5-6 hours he was sleeping. What's going on here? The ped just keeps saying that he'll eat and sleep on his own schedule. I get that, I'm not trying to force him into a schedule. However, I just feel like he's eating an awful lot. He's about 24 inches and is about 12 lbs.

Should I worry about the amount he's eating, and the fact that he's going from 4 hours to 3 hours between feedings?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 7 week old eating 5oz every 3-4 hrs - too much?

• Options
    I think that's a lot. My baby was eating as much as 34 oz's per day and the pedi said that we should cut back. I cut it to 4 oz's every 3 hours and so far so good. He eats 24 oz's per day now and he's gaining weight and growing well. He also has AR so pedi advised to not feed him so much and it may help with the spitting up. It helped a little.
  • Options
    My nine week old eats 4 oz every 2-3 hours  and nurses 3 times on top of that - (I have a low suipply and he is never satisfied by the breast alone)  The ped said that if he is hungry, I should let him eat.  He will spit up anything that is too much. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My daughter is 8 weeks and has been eating 5 oz. every 3.5 hours since she was 4 weeks old. I thought it was a lot then, but don't really think so now. She sleeps for an 8 hour stretch at night, so she eats around 35 ounces a day.
  • Options
    My 7 week old does 4-5oz every 3-4 hours.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageLovePink2850:
    I think that's a lot. My baby was eating as much as 34 oz's per day and the pedi said that we should cut back. I cut it to 4 oz's every 3 hours and so far so good. He eats 24 oz's per day now and he's gaining weight and growing well. He also has AR so pedi advised to not feed him so much and it may help with the spitting up. It helped a little.

I wouldn't even know how or where to begin cutting back. He screams bloody murder when he's hungry, and if I only feed him, say for example, 3oz, he would scream for more if he were still hungry.

Thanks for the feedback!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DD's pedi said you can't overfeed a baby, so if he's hungry, feed him.

PS... my LO was drinking 6 oz every 3-4 hrs from about 2.5 weeks to 5 weeks when we started putting cereal in her bottle.

DD {6.13.10} & DS {5.19.12}
  • Options

oK, My son is almost 11 weeks now and is eating anywhere from 5 to 6 oz every 2 to three hours. He weighed in at 15 lbs, 6oz at his two month apt. He rarely goes more than three hours between feedings. He sleeps through the night and has been. At 7 weeks old he was eating 4 to 5oz every 2 hours. And I mean EVERY 2 hours. So, no, I dont think your son is eating too much. My son also weighed about 12 lbs at 7 weeks too.

Just my oppinion but my doc says a baby that sleeps through the night will tend to eat more during the day i.e., every two to three hours.

I say let yourself off the hook and feed him when hes hungry. Every baby is different and it sounds like yours knows when hes hungery. Hope this helps.

• Options
    Ugg, now I'm concerned.  My daughter is 7 weeks today and has gone from eating 3-4 oz every 3-4 hours to 2 oz every 2 -3 hours.  Why is my daughter eating less when everyone else's is eating more???
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"