3rd Trimester
Options

pregnant hot tubbing

so im curious. i know how much better swimming has made me feel (SUCH a load off!), but are you allowed to hot tub while pregnant? im7 months and a bit and i dunno, i dont see it as bein a whole lot different than having a bath or using a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom, but thought asking first would be prudent. and bein a holiday and all i cant get a hold of my doctor... so does anyone know?

Re: pregnant hot tubbing

• Options
    the reason they advise against using a hot tub is because they can cause your temperature to rise dangerously.  my OB told me 98 - 99 degrees was fine, but goodness, who can sit in a hot tub in the dead heat of summer??  :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

definitely not okay during pregnancy. The water is too hot and causes your core temperature to rise which is dangerous for your LO.

https://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/hottubs.htm
    CafeMom Tickers Photobucket
  • Options

It's about your core temperature. I take pretty hot baths in short bursts so my core temp isn't up... If friends are hot tubbing I would soak in small amounts and mostly just keep your feet in, but I wouldn't go out of your way to get in a hot tub. My doctor said (we were talking about laboring in the tub) if it's that stinging feels good but you have to get in really slowly hot, that's too hot.

Alternative Housewife - Mama style on a budget

Mama to Sebastian, born 9/2010 BabyFetus Ticker

• Options

Pregnant hot tubbing = sitting on the edge of the hot tub and *maybe* wading your feet in for a few minutes.

Stick to swimming in the pool.

• Options

Not only do hot tubs cause your temperature to rise, but they also effect your blood pressure.

Keep out!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Not a good idea, but I can understand wanting to.  Going in hot tubs and taking really hot baths are on my growing list of things I miss about not being pregnant. 
  • Options
    in the spring when my husband first got the tub i did go in. But the temp. was near 90. I loved it but i hated having the jets on my belly and it got uncomfortable after awhile. At the moment it is to hot to go into the tub so i haven't gone in and i don't think i would at this point i would. I think if it's a low temp it'd be fine.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers 7/11-7-12 year of defeat and over coming obstacles 8/12-HSG 9/24/12- long awaited +hpt Staying a mystery until D day!!
  • Options
    My doctor told me that I am not allowed to get in a hot tub. The baby gets too hot in there.
    image image

• Options
    aside from the body temp thing, if it's at a resort or any sort of public place, those things spread things like yeast infections and other things you do not want to get while you're pregnant.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My doctor told me no hot tub.  The water gets a lot hotter than a regular bath tub.  I was on vacation at about 4 months with my 1st pregnancy, and I just put my feet in.  Not the same, I know, but it's something!
  • Options

I have been dipping in our hot tub since the beginning of my pregnancy. I did this by taking my core temperature, which never got above 99.5, I never stayed in long enough to make myself sweat (less than ten minutes), and my blood pressure was always fine afterwards. The tub was never more than 101. But even dipping in for a few minutes has been a lifesaver this whole pregnancy. Of course no one's going to recommend it, especially for the early months, but how that's different from a not-quite-hot bath or shower is beyond me. My practitioners have been fine with it. But that's my educated choice.

• Options

I loved the hot tub before I got pregnant, especially during the winter. Now it makes my feet swell up if I even put my legs in. All of the things I have read say not to get in hot tubs or very hot baths while pregnant. 

I'm with you, I love the weightless feeling of being in the swimming pool. I can only go up to my chest though or all of my floating insides put too much pressure on my lungs and makes it hard to breathe.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    No.
  • Options
    My OB told me it was okay for short periods of time...up to 10 minutes OR when I started to feel hot. I usually go in for about 3-5 minutes at a time, but it sure feels good on my sore muscles.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Food Allergies to Eggs, Milk, Peanuts, Tree Nuts & Beef
    Challenged Soy and tolerated it.
  • Options

I personally would not.  My doctor is pretty relaxed about this but this was one of her big no-nos.  I didn't ask why just said ok.

But, I am so hot all the time that the last thing I would want to do is sit in a tub of hot water.

• Options
    My midwife was okay with it after the 1st trimester, but we drained ours anyway since we don't really use it in the summer.  I am so looking forward to soaking in the tub with a glass of wine this fall!
  • Options

I have been goingin at our local pool. I did it with DD and have with this pregnancy. You have to pay attention to your temperature and how long you have been in there. I would not go into just any old hot tub bec. of "things" in the water.

If you are careful-not sweating, the temp. is right, etc. you should be fine. I agree with the other posters about it being so darn hot, that a hot tub is just crazy!

• Options
    Eewww hot tubs = human soup. LOL
  • Options
    My doctor was not ok with hot tubs because of the heat. And like pp, it's just too hot outside to go in one! Instead, I took warm baths in my own clean tub until I couldn't get in and out of it (large jacuzzi tub). Now I just take warm showers and go in a pool if I have access to one.  
    Three losses in 2009, a miracle in 2010! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker The Method to My Madness, a PPD blog
  • Options
    I get the feeling this is one of those that is probably ok in small amounts, but given how much variability there is from person to person, most practitioners are going to caution against it (like alcohol).  How safe it is depends on a number of factors, the hot tub temp, your blood pressure, how long you've been in, your body's ability to cool itself down, baby's gestational age, etc...  I've been in a hot tub twice during pregnancy, and it felt wonderful, and I'm confident I didn't boil my baby.  But I also made sure to not submerge myself all the way (thus body is able to cool off easier), monitored the water temperature (both times under 100 degrees), and stayed in for about 10 minutes or so, and never broke a sweat.  You have to weigh the risks vs rewards for yourself and decide if it's worth it to you.  
  • Options

depends on tempature of tub.

i take a hot bath every night, but recently have put cooler water in it, so hopefully no damage was ever done.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"