3rd Trimester
Options

RE: How to politely say... "DON'T TOUCH!"

We have plans to go to a wedding when DS will be about a week and half old. How do I politely tell others "please look, don't touch?" And where to draw the line when it comes to extended family feeling like they're allowed to hold him?I know we're putting ourselves in this situation, so any advice on how best to handle it is greatly appreciated. TIA! 

Re: RE: How to politely say... "DON'T TOUCH!"

• Options
    AML84AML84 member
    put the baby in a sling?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I agree with pp, I've heard people are less likely to touch the baby when you are wearing them in some type of wrap or sling. 
    "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Ditto to the baby wearing...it keeps them soothed in a hectic environment too (keeps from getting overstimulated by all the new faces and sounds)

Also, you can get one of these signs to at least break the ice on the subject:

https://www.mytinyhands.com/shopping/store.htm

If you have in on your baby carrier, in a prominent spot, then you can just refer to it. If they're willing to go to the trouble of washing their hands, that may at least weed out the people that are really interested in meeting LO and those that just want to manhandle whatever baby they pass by. LOL

Ella is finally here!
    Elizabeth Anne Born 08/18/10; 7lb. 4.5 oz; 20" long

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I went through this constantly b/c my DS was a preemie. If he will be in his carrier buy the little sign (or make one) that says "please don't touch me." They have different cute versions or ways of saying it. Some people will feel that that doesn't apply to them because they are 'great aunt sofia twice removed' or some BS. Don't let them bully you. Politely say, "I would prefer if you didn't touch or hold him, his immune system is very fragile right now and we are taking every precaution possible to keep him well." If they still give you crap then you can either flat out say no and walk away if possible or bring out the hand sanitzer (bring a little bottle with regardless) make them sanatize and then allow it.  

Tell all your other close family that holds them all the time not to at the event that way it doesn't seem like your playing favorites or that you are delibrately not letting some hold and touch. They can also be supportive in floating the "no touch policy," and backing you up with comments about how sensitive newborn babies are to germs.

HTH!!!

• Options

Are you sure you are going to want to leave the house that soon after you have a baby?  And is that assuming you give birth on your due date?  What if you go late? 

I would probably just stay home.  Either that or get a babysitter and go for a short while.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My only advice would be keep him in a sling or carrier, but most pedis recommend not exposing them to situations like that under 2 weeks of age.
    imageimage
  • Options

You could always use you pedi as the "bad guy" say something like "Doc wants us to limit his exposure to germs since his immune system is still developing. So we're asking people not to touch or hold LO"

• Options
    GET YOUR OWN DAMN BABY! Okay thats the hormones talking. I'd like to hear all the responses myself because it stresses me out too!.
  • Options
    I saw a lady at the grocery store the other day who had a netting over her carrier, like to keep the bugs off, but I bet it would work great at keeping peoples hands off too!
  • Options
    Like others said, wear the baby in a sling and when in the pram put mosquito netting over it.  That being said one week post-partum I certainly wasn't in shape to attend a wedding.  I would plan to go for a short amount of time for both your and the baby's comfort.
  • Options

imageSarahC720:

Are you sure you are going to want to leave the house that soon after you have a baby?  And is that assuming you give birth on your due date?  What if you go late? 

I would probably just stay home.  Either that or get a babysitter and go for a short while.  

I agree, you may not feel comfortable (for yourself and for LO) leaving the house for an event that early after you deliver, especially if you end up with a c-section or have a rough delivery. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    BFP/Labor/Everything Buddy: Papetvet/Erpetdoc
  • Options

imageStarr26:
    I saw a lady at the grocery store the other day who had a netting over her carrier, like to keep the bugs off, but I bet it would work great at keeping peoples hands off too!

I'm totally doing this when I go to places where I really don't want LO touched. I saw someone at Target do it, and I really liked the idea. I've seen the tags that can go on your carrier, but not everyone pays attention or they'll say, "Oh, I didn't see that there." 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"