Working Moms

Any PA's or Moms who had LO's while in school?

Hi ladies!  I usually hang out on the TTGP board but thought my question would be more relevant for this board.  My DH and I are TTC in October.  I'll also be applying to PA school in a year (wouldn't start for two years if I got in immediately).  I'm curious if any of you ladies went through PA school (or any other school for that matter) with a LO and what your experience was like (the demand, hours away at school/clinicals, etc).  Also, was curious what the demand as a PA is like as a working mom.  The majority of my friends are SAHM and haven't been really encouraging/supportive of my choice to be a working mom/go back to school, so I'm interested in getting another perspective.  DH and I were both raised by working moms and I definitely don't think it will be easy by any means.  TIA!

Re: Any PA's or Moms who had LO's while in school?

• I am not a PA, but I had 2 kids during residency.  From my perspective, the PA's seem to have fairly regular work hours, aren't expected to work time they aren't scheduled/compensated, and seemed to be pretty happy. 

You might get some more responses on this message board www.mommd.com.  There are a lot of PA's who post there.  It is really slow, and it may take a few days/weeks to get a response though.   

• I am a PA.  My hours now are 8:30-4:00 and I work with a great group of doctors that are understanding if I have to have time off for certain things.  That is one of the great things about being a PA.  You can work in one field for a few years and then work in something entirely different later on.   You can find a job working as many or as few hours as you like.

When I went to PA school, the first year was all class work 8-4 and a lot of studying was required.  The second year was divided into (9) 5 week rotations.  Rotations like family practice had very predictible hours.  ER and surgery less so and there was call involved with certain rotations but they were only 5 weeks so I think it would be doable.  I went to school straight after undergrad but about 1/2 my classmates had families and made it work.  Some programs now may have online portions of their programs or more flexible schedules.  Good Luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks so much for the info!!
  • I am also a PA, but I work in ortho surgery and my job is more like 7-whenever the day ends - sometimes, 3, sometimes 11pm.  I love what I do and the group of docs I work with, but it is very hard to be a good surgical PA and be able to be around for my kid.  For that reason alone, I'm looking for something with a little more stable hours.  I agree with the PP that said you can always change your job, thats where I am now.

When I went to school it was also 8-4 or 5 and a TON of studying was required..  The second year was also 9 - 5 week rotations, some were 20 hours and some were 80 hours with call.  I also went right after school and didn't have a family but some did, and got by.  Just remember you can do anything for a year!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"