February 2011 Moms
Options

Anyone's symptoms starting to taper off? (nausea mostly)

Hi ladies...I'm freaking myself out and I hate it right now. I just would like to hear some similar stories so that maybe I stop worrying.

I am 11w2d today, I was measuring at 11w at my ultrasound on Monday so technically I could be closer to 12 weeks, whatever, that doesn't matter. I've been on progesterone supplements (oral) since right at about 5 weeks. The nausea started for me right around week 6, and has been pretty rough ever since.

At my appt on Monday, my doctor told me things looked wonderful, we had an u/s and got to see LO, feeling good about things. He tells me I can start weaning off the progesterone, so I start taking just 3 pills a day instead of my 4 for week 11, and I'll drop to 2 pills a day during week 12.

So now I'm freaking out, b/c the past 2 days (Thursday and Friday) I had mild nausea, still there, but not near as bad. Today, I feel perfect. No nausea at all. This scares the crap out of me.

I think I have two questions: One - do you think it is possible that starting to take less progesterone is doing this? Two - is it too early for my symptoms to start tapering off NORMALLY?

So sorry for this long post, if you've read the whole thing then you are wonderful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

Re: Anyone's symptoms starting to taper off? (nausea mostly)

• Options

Yes and Yes.

Yes, progesterone causes side effects, they will lessen as you wean off or stop them.  I think that factors in to a degree.

Also, the closer you get to second tri, the better you can hope to feel.  My symptoms started to lessen last week. 

And yes, it freaks me out even though I know it's normal.  I try not to think about it, that's all I can do at this point.  That and count down the days until my NT scan.

((hugs))  I know how scary it is, but it really is normal.

dx PCOS on Metformin
    LO#1 - 19 cycles, 3 IUIs, 1 m/c, gonal-f, ganirelix, ovidrel, progesterone
    Totally worth the wait!
    Getting ready for #2
    Back on Met, PCOS diet, prepping for treatments 1/12

Good luck to the wonderful ladies of 3T
    Always cheering on my girls Gymnst1013 & MrsJohns
    My Chart / Info for Newbies
  • Options
    Totally normal!  I think most people's symptoms start tapering off between 10-12 weeks.  That's what happened with me, too.  :) 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageRileyGrace:

Yes and Yes.

Yes, progesterone causes side effects, they will lessen as you wean off or stop them.  I think that factors in to a degree.

Also, the closer you get to second tri, the better you can hope to feel.  My symptoms started to lessen last week. 

And yes, it freaks me out even though I know it's normal.  I try not to think about it, that's all I can do at this point.  That and count down the days until my NT scan.

((hugs))  I know how scary it is, but it really is normal.

Thank you for responding. It's so hard not to worry. At least when I'm sick (as horrible as the nausea can be), I like having it b/c it feels like a reassurance. I think the rational part of me says exactly what you said and tries to reassure myself this is normal, but then there is the other part of me who had a miscarriage (granted, under totally different circumstances) and worries about every little thing that seems "off". I do think you are right though, and I am going to try and think that way.

I am also counting down the days til the NT Scan. When is yours? Mine is August 11th. Feels like an eternity.

• Options

imageJazzyMom2B:
    Totally normal!  I think most people's symptoms start tapering off between 10-12 weeks.  That's what happened with me, too.  :) 

Thank you for your response! I really hope that is the case. I just tend to worry about this stuff.

• Options
    AM2008AM2008 member

Normal.  Like PP said, progesterone has s/e as well, so chances are pretty good that your m/s felt intensified while taking it. 

And, I too began feeling better around week 11, but rest assured, just because you feel good today, does not mean you may tomorrow.  I felt really close to normal all of week 12 even and then welcomed week 13 with a full day of vomiting and a horrible headache. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have felt A LOT better just in the past week.  I'm still tired and cranky at times, but much less m/s (no puking for at least a week and less nausea), and my energy levels while still less than normal have skyrocketed from where they were about a month ago.  But as PP said, sometimes it goes day by day.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

When I was on progesterone for a hot five minutes (also known as a week in normal person English) before I switched doctors, I was more nauseous than I've been at any other time this pregnancy.  It went back to random bouts after I stopped taking it.

I hope you feel better soon, anxiety-wise! 

BFP #1 - Twin B lost at 5w
    Bryce Addison  I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    Our baby boy was born sleeping on 9.17.10. He was 19w1d.
    BFP #2 - Twin B lost at 4w
    Twin A
    BFP #3 - Lost at 5w
    BFP #4 - Lost at 4w
    BFP #5

• Options
    I am not sure about the progesterone supplement and weaning off of them but I can tell you that around 12 to 14 weeks the placenta takes over hormone production and that is why most symptoms (such as nausea) disappear at this time.  Yours could be a combination of both coming off the supplement and the placenta finally taking over the rest of the hormone production. Hopefully that is all it is!  I can't wait to get to that milestone because I am so tired of puking.  Good luck :)
  • Options
    Yes and yes. I stopped my progesterone last week and my symptoms have improved greatly. I feel more energetic, and less nauseated. Try to relax. We're nearing that golden 2nd trimester and lessening symptoms are normal now.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My morning sickness started around 5-6 weeks and I've been feeling much better the past couple of days.  I asked my OB at my appointment on Wednesday about the disappearing symptoms and she said this is perfectly normal.  Everything looked great during the ultrasound. 
  • Options
    hey girl, i had the exact same thing happen this week. woke up wednesday, 11w3d, and felt like normal after getting sick 5-10 times a day every day. i was panicked. i called the doctor and begged to come in and do an ultrasound, and he let me, and all was fine. i'm just being paranoid. he said that it's perfectly normal to feel better around 11 weeks, and that at 10 weeks the hormones start going down for many women and the placenta takes over. so i think you're just fine, but i know how scary it is. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    My symptoms started to fade at 11weeks. I still don't feel %100 but I have to tell myself I won't until I deliver... and then I'll still have a year of lactating boobs to deal with.
    CafeMom Tickers
    imageimage
  • Options
    My m/s started at 6.5 weeks and for the past few days it has definitley tapered off. I even took my seabands off today. I hope I can keep them off :)
  • Options
    bmp84bmp84 member

Mine have been tapering off and it freaks me out too. My boobs aren't sore, but my nipples are super hyper sensitive more than they were before. The all day m/s is gone, and I have some random bouts of it. I get to stop my progesterone on Wednesay.

I know it is normal, but I'm scared too.

::hugs::

• Options
    My symptoms started to go away around 9 weeks, which freaked me out, too.  My dr even seemed a little concerned when I first told her that when I was there this past weds, but then she did a quick ultrasound and everything was fine.  I think everyone is just different but I can totally understand how you were feeling as I was just there myself.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"