Pennsylvania Babies
Options

Jogger or Umbrella for beach?

If you were to take one stroller to the beach, would you take a jogger or umbrella stroller? We leave for the Outer Banks next weekend and we're not sure which one to take. Obviously the advantage of an umbrella is space (although we don't even have one yet, but would probably would have gotten one soon anyway). I feel like the jogger would be a better ride for Ella and I guess I was thinking this might work on the beach, when we go sightseeing, etc. We have a house that is about 400 ft. from the beach. Besides doing our regular daily acitivies, we'll also probably take 1-2 walks per day, since we're taking our lab with us.

Thoughts? How well does a jogger even work in the sand? thanks! :)

Re: Jogger or Umbrella for beach?

• Options
    I don't have a jogger, but in my experience all strollers kind of suck in the sand Smile  So, I'd say whichever you are more comfortable walking with.  We have a Graco Mosaic (lightweight stoller, but I don't think classified as an umbrella) and used that at the beach in June.  It was great for walking through town and on the boardwalk, but hard to get through the sand.  Whatever you choose, turn the stroller around and pull through the sand rather than trying to push...it really helps!
  • Options

I wondered this last year and the 6-12 board at that time recommended a jogger for the beach.  The wheels on the umbrella would be too small.  And when I looked on all the rental websites, all they had were joggers.  If space is a big concern, you can always rent one.

Have fun!  We leave in 2 weeks for OBX, and I cannot wait!

"Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Jogger for sure.  My friend registered for a jogger for the main reason to use at the beach.  She saw a guy with two kids at the beach.  One kid was in a jogger and the mom pushed him right out. The other in an umbrella stroller and the dad was just working and having so much trouble. 
  • Options

I would take a jogger to the beach but we take our jogger everywhere, even the mall.  We use it so much that we returned our umbrella stroller.

Have fun at the beach!

{Blog}
    TTC since Jan 07. Dx with PCOS Jan 08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Having just come back from Isle of Palm, SC for our first family beach vacation, I would say the jogger for sure. It can handle "off roading" in the tough beach access sand as well as handle roads, wet sand and everything else you can throw at it. Lifesaver!
  • Options
    Thanks for your input! We decided to compromise the space and just take the jogger. In fact, I think that we won't even buy an umbrella at least for now. Between the jogger and our Chicco that we still love, there doesn't seem to be a need yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"