Adoption
Options

Fostering Baby with possible FAS

My husband have been fostering a four and half month old infant for the past two months. We knew when agreed to foster the baby that the baby's Birthmother took cocaine during pregnancy (how often is anybody's guess), but they both tested clean at birth. Now the baby is being tested for developmental delays by the state, and the therapist mentioned that the infant has facial features of a FAS Baby. Now we're freaking out, because we hope to adopt this baby, but we've heard horrible things about children exposed to alcohol.

The baby is very good natured, and has a normal sized head. The baby is also very chubby. The baby seems to be hitting most of the milestones according to what I've read, but cannot roll over yet, and the baby's head is still a little wobbly when sitting up or being carried.

Anybody have experience with FAS?

Re: Fostering Baby with possible FAS

• Options
    My only experience was with 3 adopted boys that I used to know.  I knew them for 6 years, from about 9 to 17 years.  They were quite severe.  It takes a lot of patients and understanding to raise a child with FAS.  IMO, severe FAS is the worst of the parent inflicted birth injuries because it last forever and produces a child who can physically do what everyone else can, but usually has very poor judgement/impulse control.  It is not something I could do.  I hope that the therapist is wrong. 
  • Options

As far as developmental stages, Emmalee didn't roll over until she was at least 6 months, and probably closer to 8 months. She just had no desire to roll, so I would not treat that as a symptom for FAS.

I do not have any experience with FAS, but GL to you. I hope it all turns out good and FAS is not in the picture.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageJOEBunny:
    IMO, severe FAS is the worst of the parent inflicted birth injuries 

Ditto.  I'm sorry you are going through this.  I don't have personal experience with FAS, but I did a lot of reading about it when we were trying to decide what adoption situations we were comfortable with.  If your foster baby does have FAS, there is no way to know the extent of it until she is older.  The symptoms get worse as children age.  FAS children may never become productive members of society.  They often have severe behavior issues and as adults end up having criminal issues.  Delayed learning and even mental retardation are also common.  

• Options

I've done a bit of research on FAS, since my husband and I are interested in adopting from Eastern Europe.  And yes, it can be very scary.  The effects will vary by how much alcohol the birth mother drank, and when during her pregnancy she drank it. 

I actually think it's kind of irresponsible for a physical or occupational therapist to mention that before the child has a diagnosis, precisely because mentioning that understandably causes people to freak out.  I think a pediatrician with a strong background in adoption, esp. international adoption -- who has experience working with kids whose bio parents' history isn't fully known -- would be a better choice to talk to about facial features and potential risks.  (The University of Washington, for instance, has an FAS diagnosis and prevention department, and several universities have international adoption clinics that have experience with alcohol-exposed kids.) 

As for developmental delays, it wouldn't be uncommon for a child who'd been exposed to cocaine (and only that) during pregnancy to have some developmental delays in infancy.  And as a PP pointed out, children progress at different rates and some kids are just slower than others to reach certain milestones.

So as hard as it is right now, take a deep breath, try not to freak out, and find yourself a good doctor/adoption clinic.  *hugs*   Good luck.

• Options
    c1311c1311 member

I agree with the PP who suggested an internaitonal adoption pediatrician.  Dr. Aronson is a good resourse for FAS/FAE.  Her website is here.  And I also second the University of Minnesota.

Best wishes.  FAS is a tough situation to take on.

• Options

Semi-lurker here...  I don't have any personal experience with FAS, but I do read a blog written by a mom who adopted a boy with pretty severe FAS.  The link is https://whenrainhurts.wordpress.com/

Also, I know one FAS marker they talked alot about on this blog was whether or not the baby has a philtrum (the ridge between your upper lip and nose).  I'm not sure how severe the alcohol exposure must be for the philtrum not to develop, but I know that the lack of a philtrum is a pretty sure sign that the child has been alcohol-exposed.  

Hope this helps.  Good luck! 

TTC since January 2010
    BFP 5/9/10. U/S - no heartbeat 6/2/10 (7 weeks). Induced miscarriage 6/7/10.
    Chemical pregnancies 12/2/10, 1/3/11, and 2/7/11.
    dx: RPL due to poor quality uterine lining; begin progesterone January 2011
    BFP 3/10/11. EDD 11/19/11. E arrived 11/15/11!

Loss Blog | Life Blog

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

lurking because no new posts on my usual boards...my cousin was born with FAS and was in the nicu and my aunt was pumping milk after drinking. it was awful. cousin had a few medical problems. she has something wrong with her digestive system, a cleft palette  and there was something wrong with her mouth that caused her to not grow some of her molars or something like that.

but those were all problems when she was a baby. now she is a normal teenager.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"