January 2011 Moms
Options

Heating baby's room?

What does everyone think of putting an electric space heater in the nursery, at least for this winter when LO won't be able to get out of the crib?

When we bought our house 2 years ago, we didn't realize the only heat in the upstairs comes from a small vent in the hallway. I'd really like to keep the nursery door shut to keep our cats out, but then LO won't get any heat. Even with the doors open, the bedrooms still cool down into the 50's at night.

We'll insulate the room and replace the windows when we gut & remodel it this fall, and DH has talked about piping heat into it from the main vent in the hallway. What if that doesn't work, though? And how do we keep LO warm in our room at night, when it's going to be colder than the nursery? A space heater is my only idea. Any other solutions?

Re: Heating baby's room?

• Options

We don't even leave a space heater on (or plugged in) with grownups in the bedroom while we're asleep.  Too many fires start that way that don't always have to do with people knocking them over.

If anything, you may want to take an overall look at your heating and cooling efficiency of the entire house (and add the vent).  You never know when addressing one escape route for heat fixes a whole battery of issues in the entire house, including baby's room.  You could temporarily replace the door to the nursery with a cheapo wooden screen door.  Allows for whole house ventilation and will keep the cats out (we're planning on doing the same thing).

If you absolutely HAD TO do a space heater, leave it running only while you're awake, or get it good and warm before LO goes to bed.  If you insulate the hell out of the room and get some really good, thick, insulating curtains, and maybe turn it on while nursing or tending to baby, there might be enough residual heat to take off the worst of the chill.

• Options
    Just keep in mind that babies don't need it too warm, I think it's only like 68* that they need.  If you do use a space heater then I think that's fine but other mamas may disagree.  Just be sure the kind you buy is a new one where if you knock it off it's base it shuts off.  If it's as sensitive as mine then just bumping it as you walk past shifts the base and it resets to being on but not blowing air or anything.  That's the kind you want so there are no accidents.  Also be sure it can hold a specific temperature so it isn't constantly on and overheating the room.  We are very conscious about being sure it isn't plugged in when not in use and that may be overkill but we feel safer.  The kind I have is a little unit and doesn't take much room, it also oscillates so it spreads the air around the room.  It wasn't very expensive either.  Oh and again, I'm sure you know this but it has to be said, be sure it's not blowing directly at baby so keep it across the room or something away from furniture and fabrics.  HTH. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Our house is the exact same way upstairs, the heat is just in the hallway. We just don't feel comfortable with using space heaters so a few things we did that help are to keep the crib on an interior wall, the interior walls are warmer so it's not quite as cold there. When ds was an infant we put him in a fleece footed sleeper then swaddled him in a fleece blanket on really cold nights, on nights that weren't as cold we swaddled him in a cotton blanket. We also use flannel sheets in ds's crib in the winter as they are not cold to the touch, so he doesn't wake up by rolling over onto cold sheets.

ETA: we also leave all the bedroom doors open upstairs but close the doors to the rooms that no one sleeps in so heat goes to the rooms that need to be warm.

• Options
    I think I would just work on getting heat to the room.  A space heater is too much of a fire risk and you can't control the temp well.  Too hot is a risk for SIDS.  Might be expensive, but maybe now is a good time to get your house heating system up to par.
    I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • Options
    If you are gutting the room anyway, what about putting in baseboard heating?  We have that in our house and it is very convenient.  Every room has its own thermostat, so if we are not using a room we can just shut the door and turn off the heat in that room.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We have an Amish fire place that is very nice looking (looks like a fireplace with wooden mantle). It is on wheels and it heats by using an infared light and a fan. It costs like $350 but it produces good heat without the fire risk. It also costs about .11 cents to run a day. We are going to put ours in the baby room because we just got a new furnace and don't need it in the downstairs anymore.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

A space heater is fine to use as long as you follow all of the safety guidelines included in it (on a stable surface, at least 3 feet from walls all the way around, etc.) My dad is the chief of the local fire department and has no problem recommending them for use as long as they are used properly.

We just purchased new ones that have a thermostat built in so that it is easier to control the temperature.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Sorry, but IMO it's a terrible idea.

Space heaters can be a fire hazard. Plus, the room should be kept no warmer then about 68 degrees.Too warm of a room is thought to be risky for SIDS. Typically you can either swaddle the baby or put it in a warm outfit - no blankets in the crib.

Could you consider using a bassinet/pack and play and putting baby in your room (but not in your bed) when it's cold or for the first few months?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks for the ideas, everyone, and sorry it took me so long to get back. Didn't have the comp over the weekend.

For those of you who suggested redoing the heating system: It was completely redone in 2006, 2 years before we bought the house. So we don't really want to do a total overhaul since ours is pretty efficient, at least downstairs. And since the heating system is all forced air, we can't do baseboard w/out redoing the entire heating system.

For the space heater, I'm just thinking worst-case scenario. Our house was built in 1910, and last major remodel was circa 1940. It "looks" like it's in nice shape, until you tear into the walls/floors/ceiling. Then we usually have a mess on our hands. We haven't been able to do as much remodeling as we'd like b/c of the costs of redoing the previous homeowners' existing work.

BTW, the space heater I'm thinking of is a small electric one that shuts off when the room is at the right temp. MIL & FIL keep one running in their bathroom throughout the winter so their pipes don't freeze. There's no fumes or open heating element or anything like that. I'm guessing it's a lot like the one danigirl described. Hopefully we won't have too cold a winter and won't need it, but I just want to be ready so LO doesn't get cold at night.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"