Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Anyone getting ready to move to next carseat....or already did?

Well, my chubba bubba baby is getting sooo heavy to carry in the infant carrier so I've started researching new seats.  A few questions that I have:

1.  Does anyone know the exact size they can be before moving them up? 

2.  I know they should be RF until 2 years old, but many of the seats I've      found don't look like they fit RF

3.  What seat do you have and what are the pros and cons

4.  Any other facts that would enlighten me please.....

Re: Anyone getting ready to move to next carseat....or already did?

• Options

1. Depending on the carseat you get - most convertibles are rated from 5lbs and up, so you could use it right from birth.

2. Unless you're driving a smart car, there will be a RF convertible seat that fits!

3. I have the Evenflo Triumph Advance LX. Pros: the dialing of the seatbelt is an awesome feature!! It's not super-expensive, and it does recline. Cons: It's not rated for as heavy/tall as some other seats, and the one strap tends to get twisted a bit, but it's quite easily fixable, thankfully! (I just remembered cuz DH somehow managed to twist it today, and I had to fix it)

4. Try out the carseats at the store to see what one works best for both you and your LO. I did this with Evelyn, and there were only 2 seats that she didn't freak out in - the Evenflo (which we bought) and an Eddie Bauer (which turned out to not be a convertible afterall... even though it said 3-in-1... weird...), so we made our decision based on that. You can also ask the sales associate (if you go to babies'r'us) if you can try the seats in your car to see what fits. They'd rather do that than have you come back 5 times to exchange seats!

• Options

You can move them whenever you want! Most convertable seats start at 5-10 lbs.

Yes, RF until 2 is best, and all converable seats RF- its just whether or not it will fit in your car. Most BRU will let you "test" it out in your car.

I havent ordered mine yet, but will be moving LO into a Britax Marathon. They are the highest rated/safest seats on the market. That's all I ever use, my older DD still rides in a Britax Regent!

My Blog
    DD #1 {04-19-2004}
    Secondary IF: Severe MFI (low testosterone, low count, low morph, & very low motility) & Annovulation
    After 22 months IUI # 3 Clomid + Follistim = BFP
    DD #2 {12-31-2009}
    2 more years of failed IF treatments and a failed adoption TTC #3
    TTC Journey Over~ Not By Choice
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

1.  Depends on the seat.  Most convertibles are now made for newborns, though.

2.  Depends on your car.  We have a regular Roundabout (not the 55 version).  It fits rear facing behind the passenger seat in our Dodge Ram and our Dodge Neon (although the seat needs to be waaay forward, but it fits).  

3. Britax Roundabout.  Its cheap and gets good ratings.  The cover washes easily.  Its compact.  We have ordered a Britax Boulevard, which is our next step up carseat.  It has better side impact protection.

4.  I have nothing. 

DS 12/09, Twins EDD 11/11
  • Options

1.  Does anyone know the exact size they can be before moving them up? Most start at 5 pounds, so I think you'll be good.

2.  I know they should be RF until 2 years old, but many of the seats I've      found don't look like they fit RF. You'd be surprised. I have a MyRide 65 in my tiny Cavalier. My BIL had a rear facing seat in his Celica. I think a Roundabout.

3.  What seat do you have and what are the pros and cons. MyRide 65. It rear faces until 40 pounds. It's super soft and comfy. I think it installs pretty easily. The only con I can think is the button to release the straps you actually pull up on. It's tricky rear facing.

4.  Any other facts that would enlighten me please..... I hear everybody talking about Britax on here. I don't think they are that awesome and are just paying for the name.

• Options

1. Mine can be used from 5 pounds and has a removable infant insert. I switched DS at 2 months.

2. I don't think DS will be able to sit RF until 2 unless he is comfortable with his legs crossed pretzel style. 

3. I have the Britax Boulevard. The only real con for me is that to be RF it has to go in the middle of my car (Toyota Camry) otherwise the passenger seat has to be pulled as far forward as it goes. Pros are the side head protection (also good for floppy sleepy heads) and the removable infant insert (it provides extra cushioning). I also like that it has a no thread one hand adjustable harness. So when LO grows and the straps need to be moved up, you just twist a knob on the side of the seat.

• Options
    Britax Marathon rated poorly on consumer reports
  • Options
    We have the britax marathon - highly rated by both professionals (car-seat.org and car seat data.org) and consumers on lots of sites (although apparently not consumer reports...).  We love it - easy to use, fits in the middle seat (pp listed this as a con, but this is the safest place for the seat and baby) and actually gives us more front seat space than the infant carrier did!!!  And best of all, since Britax has new models coming out the end of August, you can get seats online for 50-60% or more off, with free shipping and no tax.  Our second choice would have been the graco myride.
  • Options

We moved DS last weekend.  I don't think they have to be a certain size - just over 5lbs.  We went with a Britax Roundabout 50.  We'll keep him RF as long as possible.

We had to switch because he got too tall for the infant seat.  Weight was still fine.

I really like the seat we got - especially for my car.  It's way to big for DHs truck, though.  He has a F-150 with a cab and a half.  So when the carseat is in there you practically have to lay the front seat down.  We're going to shop for a small one this weekend...what sucks is that the smaller ones are either $300 or only go up to 40lbs.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"