Attachment Parenting
Options

Dr. Jay Gordon Method?

Has anyone tried the Dr. Jay Gordon method of night weaning and have you had success with it? My 25 month old is still waking up 3-5 times a night and I can only get him back to sleep by nursing. We tried all the other sleep methods and nothing seems to work. I'm really at a loss so please give me hope!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Dr. Jay Gordon Method?

• Options
    Yes, we tried it when he was about 7 months old (I know that you are supposed to wait until 12 months, but we had to do something).  It worked to a point, but we ended up transitioning him to the crib.  It was a good starting point though.  Just know that it does involve crying, but you are lying right there next to your child the whole time. 
  • Options

Yes!  We did it right at 1 year and went from a minimum of 3 wake-ups (often the first one as little as 30 minutes after going down) to as many as 8 wake-ups per night. 

Now he usually sleeps from 8:30-4:30 or so and then I nurse and he goes down again for another couple of hours, I nurse again (by then its mornig for me so I don't even count it as a wake-up) and goes down for another couple of hours.  He was sleeping until after 5:30 but then we had some molars come in and he was waking 2-3 times again, but now we're working back to get him closer to sleeping until 6 again. 

As pp said, there was some crying.  The hardest nights were the no-pick up nights, more so than just the not nursing nights (DS sleeps in his room in his crib), but now if he wakes before "nursing time" I just go in there, pat his back, say shhh and (usually) within 5 minutes he's back to sleep. 

So, it's not perfect, it's not like he's sleeping 12 hours straight, but it is SO MUCH better than it was before we did it. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I tried it for one night in January (February?).  It was a NIGHTMARE.  I think Jack (16 mos then) wasn't ready, but still. 

We nightweaned 2 weeks ago by going cold turkey (well, I did light/dark explanations for a few days, played in the bathroom turning on and off the light, then I told him that he could nurse in the light not in the dark).  He cried/fussed/dozed for about 45 minutes at a time the first couple night (with me snuggling him) and on day 9 started sleeping 8pm-5:30am.  Until then our best nights were 2-3 wake ups!

BFP 1/6/12 TTC#2 since June 2010 Diagnosed PCOS and started Metformin December 2011 BabyFruit Ticker DS1 - Jack 9/28/08 Birth Doula and ICAN Leader
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"