Success after IF
Options

Another Speech Post (kind of long)

So now I feel even worse about my dd than I did before (which of course is nobody elses fault but my own) after rerading the post below:(

My dd is 21.5 months and she says very little. She has actually been regressing. She not longer says anything on a regular basis. Every once and a while she will pop out with something, even three words together but it is rare. She used to say "hi daddy" when dh would come home after being gone all day. She said "mommy" the other day for the first time but she was not looking right at me (I was taking her out of her carseat). She has said dog a few times, "hi" once in a while, "bye" in a cute little way once in a while, "here you go" every now and then (it cracks me up, she almost never talks and she comes out with 3 words together:)~). She has also stopped using "thank you" and "amen" (in her own way after a prayer). So that's like 7 words my baby has said total, ever!

I have always thought she may have some hearing problems, like with tones, I know she can hear something. I took her back to the pedi about 3 weeks ago b/c I was starting to get concerned. Her pedi still not not seem super concerned but she is sending a referral to (Babies Can't Wait our EI) and she gave us the name of a private speech therapist b/c our county sucks and Isabel will be 4 before anybody gets out to see her! I am not a worrier but I don't like that she is going backwards and not foward.

We have an appt with an audiologist next week and after that we will call the private therapist and have an evaluation done. Poor he is a worrier and he thinks she is autistic. IMO, speech is the only thing the is *behind* in. She can run and walk very, very well, stacks blocks, colors, love on the dogs and her babies, look us in the face when she feels like it (not all the time but I think it's because she is sooooo stubborn, she comes by it honeslty).

If you made it this far, thanks! I'm trying not to worry but I am starting to. Isabel and I are off to meet dh for dinner. 

For DD - IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP / For DS - dIUI #1 - BFP Dx:severe MFI-Y Chromosome Microdeletion Isabel born 10-15-08! / Baby Boy EDD July 2013 imageLily  pie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Another Speech Post (kind of long)

• Options

I think all of us moms worry about something be "wrong" with our kid(s) or not up to par. All you can do is keep pushing for consults and testing, and learning more about where she's at and can go.

FWIW, Ava certainly goes in "spurts" as far as using what I know she knows.... they like to play us. lol.

Chin up. Let us know how the testing goes.

(I was just about ready to haul Ava in for speech testing and then she says things like "I never ever hab (have) a handy dandy notebook."  Um, really? Where did you come up with THAT? And then I stand down. For 2 minutes. lol)

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence
  • Options
    kegkeg member
    I don't have any great advice, but hang in there!  If you want another name for a speech person, PM me.  There is one that works with our daycare that seems great (it's a daycare that has a combo of special needs and "regular" kids and she meets with our DDs class once a week). 
    2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Does she go to daycare?  Being around other children may improve her speech. 

Katie is going to the Audiologist on Tuesday because she is having trouble with articulation.  I'm not sure if thats the same thing.

Some kids are just quiet.  I have a child in my room all year who says nothing.  They kids say "he doesn't talk" but he really has an extensive vocabulary, just chooses not to talk.  He's been like that his whole life. 

I'll be thinking of you next week.  When is her appointment?

twin girls after 43 months of TTC.. Katherine Emily (5 lbs 12 oz 19 1/4 in) and Karly Elizabeth (5lbs 7 oz 19 in) imageLilypie!!My bio!! !!My Blog!! imageimage

• Options
    I'm sorry you are struggling through this.  It seems very frustrating.  I know that Ella's words came all at once.  If you think she may have a hearing problem, hopefully that can be easily mended and she can pick things up quickly after fixing it:)  ((hugs)) girly.
    Ella- 8/22/08, Jules and Tuck- 12/15/10
  • Options
    My cousin's daughter had severe ear infections and had tubes before she was one.  By two, she had very few words.  She got hooked up with a speech therapist and in a really short time her vocabulary had increased.  It's natural to worry! I hope that the testing answers your questions. Take care!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I hope the audiologist appointment goes well.  I have worked with several little ones in the past few years (in kindergarten) who had hearing problems that weren't discovered until they were four!  Once it was discovered and treated, their language just took off.  Please let us know how it goes!
    My Favorite Books image
    Books read in 2012: 58!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! Her appt is on the 4th. I don't know that it matters or means anything but she has only had one minor ear infection ever.
    For DD - IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP / For DS - dIUI #1 - BFP Dx:severe MFI-Y Chromosome Microdeletion Isabel born 10-15-08! / Baby Boy EDD July 2013 imageLily  pie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My cousin's kids practically lived with ear infections.  I swear, she was at the dr's office nearly once a week between her two children.  Both had tubes before 1 and her son had to have permanent ones put in after two rounds of the regular ones kept giving him problems.  In her case, ear issues did play a role in speech.  Seems like you can rule ear issues out.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"