Potty Training

Going out when not 100% trained - WDYD?

DD1 is doing great when naked and has only had two accidents in three days. I'm going to start adding undies again next week and see how she does getting them up/down, since she seems to have the getting-on-the-potty part under control now. But I'm still nervous about how to handle things when we're out and about, and I'm trying to think ahead in terms of any supplies I need to pick up before we start that. 

Questions:

Is DC in diapers/pull-ups, training pants or undies when you go out?

Do you have anything protecting the car seat? If yes, what is it? 

Do you have a portable potty ring for public toilets or a potty in the car? If yes, any recs?  

How many extra outfits do you bring if DC is in undies?  

Any advice on prepping for and handling being out? Do you hit the bathrooms right before you leave the house, once you arrive at your destination, both?  

Anything you recommend for making clean-ups easier? Do you carry lots of extra wipes, plastic bags, or what? 

I'm thinking about getting a potty ring, a couple of pairs of training pants and a washable wet bag like they have for cloth diapers. But I'm interested in hearing how other people are doing it.  

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010

Re: Going out when not 100% trained - WDYD?

• DS has been in undies since day 1 of potty training. No more diapers or no pullups. He wears undies when we go out. I don't have anything in the carseat to protect it from getting wet. At first I put one if those disposable pads (to change diapers on) but that was a pain. I have a portable ring for public potty but found it to be a hassle and waste of money. I just use the paper liners. I put our floor potty in the car when we travel to see family (5 hours) otherwise no potty in the car. I usually bring 2 full outfits and 2 undies. We have never had to use any. I store them in our wetbag from cloth diapers. I know approximately how long DS can go in between bathroom breaks. I take him before we leave the house and depending on how long we will be at place I take him when we get there or leave. DS can go about 2-2.5 hours between potty breaks. This is how long he goes at home. When we are out I try to take him every hour to hour and fifteen minutes. If he were to have an accident I would throw everything in the wetbag and move clean clothes to my purse/diaper bag. I still bring wipes and even use to wipe him at home. It is much easier than trying to wipe with toilet paper. I bring hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes. Sorry no paragraphs I'm on my phone.
  • I also have Olivia in underwear when we go out. I have the piddle pad thing for the car seat and the stroller. I bring a floor potty in the car and carry a foldable top of toilet seat in my bag. I bring 2 change of clothes and about 2 to 3 underwear. I'm still learning how long she can hold it in. At home she's good with letting me know but we are working on it when we are out. No more pull ups. Now poop is a different story lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • DD is in panties when we go about. I didn't get her any of the training pants but I did use them with DS when we were out when he first started training.

I used a hand towel in her seat the first few times we went out but never had an accident in the car. 

I have a fold-up ring that goes on the big toilet. She used it all the time at first but now she only uses it if she needs to poop while we are out(which she has major issues with and has only actually done twice but can hold it until we get home.) This is what we have and I used if for DS also when he first started training.

I take 2 extra outfits and 2 extra pair of panties for DD but have only had to use them 2 times. I still keep an extra outfit in the car for DS just in case.

I always make both kids go to the bathroom before we leave the house(or at least try). When first training I usually took them every hour or so when we were out. Now I just take them when they ask to go. I also take them before we leave the last store/restaurant and head home because we have to drive 45-60 min to any shopping or restaurants. 

I still carry wipes with me because it is easier to wipe them or clean them up if they have an accident.  I also have a plastic bag in her backpack to put dirty clothes in.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Is DC in diapers/pull-ups, training pants or undies when you go out?  If you are already in undies at home, keep the undies, otherwise you may confuse your child.  Take 2 extra sets of clothes, you never know what will happen, but you want to be prepared.  I would make sure you grab a pack of wipes, just in case of an accident you can clean your child up.

Do you have anything protecting the car seat? If yes, what is it? Nope, it can go in the washing machine if she would have an accident.

Do you have a portable potty ring for public toilets or a potty in the car? If yes, any recs?  Yes, I would get a potty ring.  I don't think you need a potty in the car unless you are going on a long car ride or trip somewhere, it doesn't seem necessary.

How many extra outfits do you bring if DC is in undies?  see above

Any advice on prepping for and handling being out? Do you hit the bathrooms right before you leave the house, once you arrive at your destination, both?  Yes, bathroom before you leave and then if it's 30-60 mintues away I would go once you get there also. 

Anything you recommend for making clean-ups easier? Do you carry lots of extra wipes, plastic bags, or what?  Yeah, you may want to put a ziploc bag or grocery bag in the car just in case.  Never thought of that.  We are out of the potty training stage now, but I'll remember that for the next chld.

girls photo zvczv.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"