Northern California Babies
Options

Question re: DC haircuts

There's a saying that my mom has been telling me and I'm wondering if it's got some merit:

If you cut your child's hair at an early age and keep cutting it despite how little/how much hair they have growing, it will make their hair grow thick and healthy. If you don't cut their hair, and leave it, the hair will be fine and thin.

In your experience, does this make sense? I'm just wondering what you think.

Re: Question re: DC haircuts

• Options

I've heard this too, but I don't know how much it makes sense... unless you cut it ALL off. If you just trim it, I don't see how trimming the ends influence the follicle (and # of follicles).

My mom used to cut my hair often as a kid. And I have super fine hair. I have a lot of it, but it's fine.

Now... when you shave your legs, you hair grows in thicker. Maybe that's what caused this theory?

• Options
    I have no idea if it's true, but I did notice that when I had first cut the boys' hair at 10 months old, we cut off a few curls they started to develop and the texture was different (so yes slightly thicker and more like DH's). If their hair is long enough and the humidity just right, they still have a bit of curl. But other than that and that their hair went from reddish blond to blond to now light brown (I don't think the hair cut had anything to do with that), I don't think much had changed. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yep. I heard this too and I hear that in some cultures they shave the hair on the head and the eye browse too so that when it grows back it is nice and thick. You have to shave the hair off, not trim it. Just how Ava said, it doesn't work if you just trim the ends. My mom kept telling me I should have shaved Oona's hair b/c she has fine hair but I didn't. DH was a little freaked out about seeing Oona all bald. LOL. I suppose if we did it when she was an itty bitty baby, it wouldn't have been *that* wierd or traumatic to see her bald. LOL
  • Options
    I think when you cut it short you notice the under groth more, so it looks fuller and thicker than if it is long. But ditto what Ava said: nothing about cutting the ends is going to stimulate the roots of other hairs more.
  • Options
    No I am sure it is just genetics...Z was born with a ton of hair (like her mama,) G was not...we shaved neither, only trimmed as needed.
    Mama to Z - 5.5 years, G - 3.5 years, & M - 1.5 years.
  • Options

I've given DS a ton of haircuts. His first was a trim at 7 months of the stragglers after he lost most of the full head of man hair he was born with. He got it cut periodically after that to keep it out of his eyes, and trim the edges.  He had the most gorgeous dark lucious wavy brown hair -- shiny and soft.

And then I shaved his head in May.  I didn't meant to go as short as I did and I mostly regret it.  It certainly kept him cool, but it's not growing back as soft as it was before. Wah! I miss running my hands through is soft wavy hair.

I don't think shaving it made his hair thicker though -- he's had a massive amount of hair since he was born.  DH and I both have massive amounts of hair.  Our hairdresser makes our appointments extra long to accomodate it so he comes by it naturally.

• Options

As an adult I have super thick tons of hair.  It's such a PITA, but as a child I was bald until I was over a year old and when in came it was super fine white peach fuzz until I was almost two.  

So I don't think that is true.

As for the hair on your legs, it doesn't actually come in thicker when you shave, it comes in with a blunt end instead of the fine tapered in you get when it grows in naturally, like after waxing.  That is why it feels or looks thicker because it does have a tapered end to it like your hair on your head.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"