Austin Babies
Options

What baby foods are cheaper to buy vs. making at home?

I've been making my own baby food for the past few weeks, and I've noticed some fruits and veggies are probably cheaper just to buy. For example, you can buy a jar of natural applesauce for less than $2. I bought a butternut squash that ended up being like $4 because it was so heavy (and it doesn't help that it's out of season). It made 16 oz. worth of baby food, which amounts to 4-6 servings depending on how hungry H is. Would it have been cheaper just to buy the jarred squash?

Re: What baby foods are cheaper to buy vs. making at home?

• Options

I really think it varies depending upon what is in season.  I agree with you about apples - I found it cheaper to find the unsweetened organic applesauce at Sprouts (which is really just apples and water) than to make my own. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagebalihaigirl:

I really think it varies depending upon what is in season.  I agree with you about apples - I found it cheaper to find the unsweetened organic applesauce at Sprouts (which is really just apples and water) than to make my own. 

Really?  I bought organic apples from HEB and made a ton of applesauce from them...and it was cheaper than buying pre-made.

But I agree about the season.  I lucked, when I was making butternut squash it was winter squash season.  It also depends if you are buying regular or organic pre-made and who makes it (gerber, beachnut, etc).  I guess when I would make squash it seemed to make at least 2 ice cube trays full--which would be at least 8 servings.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"