Single Parents
Options

xp: DNA sample requested for school?

I want your opinions please.

I received a DNA sampling kit for the university I will be attending next month. They are requesting the DNA so they can test each sample for three different genetic variants: usage of vitamin folic acid, digestion of milk products and whether or not the person is prone to facial flushing and nausea when alcohol is consumed.

Would you give the university a sample of your DNA?  It is a very well known university as far as academics stand. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: xp: DNA sample requested for school?

• Options
    what are they trying to gain by testing/requesting the DNA samples?
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

In my bag
    d90
    50mm f/1.2 * 28-85mm (Macro) f/3.5-4.5 * 70-300mm f/3.5-4.5
    Opteka Fisheye Adapter * Lightscoop
  • Options
    Whaa? Is this for voluntary participation in a research study? There's NO way they can require DNA to attend school! I would never submit my DNA for a research study, but that's just me. I even decline that they keep my blood/DNA on file at my doctor's office. I'm not comfortable with the possible use of my bodily fluid in stem cell or cloning research. No way, Jose!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Of course it STARTS out as private.  Then some girl on campus gets raped and the rapist leaves a DNA sample.  The University feels the pressure to find the rapist, the cops want to find the rapist, and pressure is put on the leaders of the project.Then the leaders of the project are threatened with no tenure/decaffeinated coffee/firing/no support for future projects, and they cave.  The rapist is caught.  Yey for that.  Except that the next time there is a crime in which DNA is left at the scene in the city of Berkeley, the cops will want access to the DNA again to 'rule out' the students.Then they want it because somebody cut themselves on a beaker in the science lab and used the blood to paint a mustache on the overdone portrait of the pompous Dean in the Science building and 'no student should be allowed to get away with such tomfoolery!"I'm a cynic who likes civil liberties.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"