LGBT Parenting
Options

I don't want to come off as being ignorant...

DS has a friend he met in Gymboree that has 2 mommies. They also happen to live only a block away from us so it is perfect and we have done a few playdates. DS is starting to talk and DH and I are very strong believers in calling your elders Ms/Mrs/Mr/etc out of respect. Both women have the same last name. What is the proper way to address them without calling them the same name (I think that would confuse DS). I'm sure I should probably just ask them but I don't want to come off as being ignorant.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I don't want to come off as being ignorant...

• Options

I'd says Mrs Black and Mrs Black, I mean eventually in his life he's going to meet people who have the same name.  I'd just ask. 

I have a different last name than my DS and I would rather someone asked me than just called me the wrong name.

?Transatlantic Blonde?
    it's called a kilt, he's scottish
  • Options
    Go ahead and ask - i cant imagine they would ever percieve it as ignorant. People are always asking us what the kids call us and other similar questions. I dont find it silly or ignorant in the slightest...its a valid question!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Like CT said, go ahead and ask, I don't think the question is ignorant at all.  My wife and I have the same last name but she hates 'Mrs.' so she goes by 'Ms.' and I use 'Mrs.'  No one would probably ever get that unless they asked.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ditto on asking. My DP and I have different last names and our kids have our names hyphenated - so there are all kinds of ways to do it (even among my straight friends, about 1/2 have kept their maiden name...so you never know!)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

I agree with  everyone else, asking is okay!

People wonder what our girls call us or what to call us all the time. I always think it's nice that they want to get it right :-) BTW, I think it's wonderful that you are teaching him to use Mrs./Mr. etc.

• Options
    Yes yes, by all means ask. I love being called Mrs., but there are definitely people out there who don't. If they think you come across as ignorant for asking, well...that's on them, I say.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"