Special Needs
Options

I cannot stand this pedi GI (LONG-sorry there is a ?)

DS is screaming through his feedings.  He took great bottles for 2 days in a row, 3 or 4oz in a shot and hitting 25 oz a day.  He slowly started taking less and crying through more and more bottles. Yesterday he took 11, today 13. 

He says it's not a reflux issue at this point.  He told me to take him off prevacid which i did prior to these good days. I have a feeling being off of it and then drinkign 4 oz at a time cause some serious reflux (which is confirmed that he has).  I put him back on Prevacid 2 days ago and still no improvement.

He is having his feeds thickened to Nectar by Thick-It starting at 2 pm today.

the GI says this is NOT reflux problems.  Babies don't reflux stomach acid just milk.  He says it's a neurologic problem and his suck swallow isn't coordinated well enough.

I don't understand how he could have 2 great days in a row (Prior to this he had ups and downs, some decent days some awful days.  then he had hernia surgery and was a new eater and pooper).  If it was neurological it wouldn't be good then get back and be good again. 

Am I right?

ETA: We've tried almost every formula.  Literally so at this point it's not a formula issue.

Re: I cannot stand this pedi GI (LONG-sorry there is a ?)

• Options

Hi,

Not sure if this will help, but our son had terrible reflux, to the point we would have to hold him all the time.  Our pedi gave us scripts for zantac & prevacid but they didn't work.  Then, we went to a developmental pedi who told us that research had shown the dosages have to be much higher to work.  So, we went back to zantac but gave him .7 ml rather than .1 (he was almost 3 mos old), and it worked.

Good luck!

• Options
    imagethefuturemrskudla:

Hi,

Not sure if this will help, but our son had terrible reflux, to the point we would have to hold him all the time.  Our pedi gave us scripts for zantac & prevacid but they didn't work.  Then, we went to a developmental pedi who told us that research had shown the dosages have to be much higher to work.  So, we went back to zantac but gave him .7 ml rather than .1 (he was almost 3 mos old), and it worked.

Good luck!

at least I don't feel crazy for thinking this is still reflux!  For some reason the GI seems to think reflux doesn't do this to babies.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Does he throw up or spew across the room? I ask cause has he been tested for pyloric stunoses sorry cant spell it. My son has severe reflux and has since birth. The only thing that helped him to not hurt as much was 15mg solutab half a pill 2 times a day and nutramigine that worked for awhile. At 19 months we are still dealing with reflux he is now on 15mg solutab 2 times a day and Axid 1 time a day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Get a second opinion!
  • Options

It definitely sounds like either reflux or an allergy/intolerance to me.  

With M's reflux we gave her mylanta with gas-x when the prevacid wasn't working. Can you do that just to help your lo not be in pain? We give it 3x a day even now when she has a flare up and it works great. 

Sean has reflux as well & his zantac dose is .6ml. He's 7lbs and just under 3 weeks old. Is it possible that the dose given just isn't high enough to help?

• Options

Our GI said the same thing and I told him he was crazy. I KNOW you said that you've tried every formula, but have you tried the Nestle Good Start Gentle Plus? This was literally the ONLY formula that Dean could tolerate... we tried Nutramigen, Alimentum, Similac Sensitive, you name it. Gentle Plus was it. 

Also, Prevacid takes such a long time to work that taking him on and off it is probably more the equivalent of being on it and missing doses than it is like being on and off it. How much Prevacid is he taking? Dean's pedi wanted 7.5 mg a day but I pushed for 15 (7.5 morning and night) and that was what did it. 

• Options

imageafwifestrecker7706:
    Does he throw up or spew across the room? I ask cause has he been tested for pyloric stunoses sorry cant spell it. My son has severe reflux and has since birth. The only thing that helped him to not hurt as much was 15mg solutab half a pill 2 times a day and nutramigine that worked for awhile. At 19 months we are still dealing with reflux he is now on 15mg solutab 2 times a day and Axid 1 time a day.

he had a swallow study, upper G I,and esophogram that came back fine.  hes not a projectile vomiter, he constantly spits milk back into mouth and reswallows it.

• Options
    imageFalioley:

Our GI said the same thing and I told him he was crazy. I KNOW you said that you've tried every formula, but have you tried the Nestle Good Start Gentle Plus? This was literally the ONLY formula that Dean could tolerate... we tried Nutramigen, Alimentum, Similac Sensitive, you name it. Gentle Plus was it. 

Also, Prevacid takes such a long time to work that taking him on and off it is probably more the equivalent of being on it and missing doses than it is like being on and off it. How much Prevacid is he taking? Dean's pedi wanted 7.5 mg a day but I pushed for 15 (7.5 morning and night) and that was what did it. 

thats what he had his great days on so we're back on it. 

I know about going on and off it we went off it once.  done.  he gets 15mg 1x a day.

• Options
    I guess I would say go with your gut. Moms have a way of knowing...I can tell with Carter is dealing with gas, reflux, teeth just by the way he acts. I am sure you are the same. And about the only being able to spit up milk comment, not bile...my son is GJ-tube fed, meaning he is fed into his intestine. He is unable to puke milk, but he still pukes stomach bile. We know from an upper GI that he has terrible reflux. Your GI doc is not making sense...and not listening to you. Get a second opinion...no matter what it takes!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagemsalinardi@live.com:
    Get a second opinion!

I'm trying.  We only have 2 others we can go to.  One has a wait till till the end of September, the other till the end of August.

I just feel like he saw "brain bleed" and was like oh no this is neuro.

• Options
    imageam369:
    imageFalioley:

I know about going on and off it we went off it once.  done.  he gets 15mg 1x a day.

I would split the dose up so he gets 1/2 in the morning & 1/2 at night. That way he's getting a constant dose of it and it doesn't just stop working midday. Ya know? 

I agree that prevacid takes a little while. I'd give zantac (if you have it) or mylanta while you're waiting for the prevacid to start working consistently.  
  • Options
    imageCrazycrustacean:
    imageam369:
    imageFalioley:

I would split the dose up so he gets 1/2 in the morning & 1/2 at night. That way he's getting a constant dose of it and it doesn't just stop working midday. Ya know? 

I agree that prevacid takes a little while. I'd give zantac (if you have it) or mylanta while you're waiting for the prevacid to start working consistently.  

I'm not sure if I can split the Prevacid.  Our insurance refused to cover it from the pharmacy, they wanted us to pay $175 a month.  So my pedi until it can get covered which takes a while told us to by the original Prevacid OTC, pop the capsules open and put them in water.  It doesnt' dissolve that great so I'm not sure I can give it half and half.  I will try tonight.

I didn't know i could combine zantac and prevacid.  He was on that before and it seemed to stop working.  but i'll try it tonight with half a dose of prevacid and some zantac.  I have a feeling the reflux burned his esophagus and now it needs to heal. 

• Options
    imageam369:
    [

I'm not sure if I can split the Prevacid.  Our insurance refused to cover it from the pharmacy, they wanted us to pay $175 a month.  So my pedi until it can get covered which takes a while told us to by the original Prevacid OTC, pop the capsules open and put them in water.  It doesnt' dissolve that great so I'm not sure I can give it half and half.  I will try tonight.

I didn't know i could combine zantac and prevacid.  He was on that before and it seemed to stop working.  but i'll try it tonight with half a dose of prevacid and some zantac.  I have a feeling the reflux burned his esophagus and now it needs to heal. 

You can get generic prevacid -- it is called LANSOPRAZOLE POW.  DS has his specially compounded so that it is made without alcohol and with flavor.  I just checked, and it only cost $61/month (ins cost plus our co-pay).  Your insurance might cover that even if it won't cover the brand name prevacid.

• Options

I'm sorry you're going through this. Feeding issues and not getting answers are hard. Glad to hear you're getting a second opinion. Are there any tests, besides trial and error, they can do to see if it's reflux?

• Options
    imageam369:
    imageCrazycrustacean:
    imageam369:
    imageFalioley:

Yup, you can combine Zantac and Prevacid. Oh, and our pharmacist said that if you take the capsules of the regular Prevacid and dissolve them before giving them, you render them inactive. I know, fun, right? :/ So we ended up putting the little balls from the capsules in Dean's bottle and then we would make bigger holes in the nipples and they would come out that way. Crazy. 

• Options

If he had a swallow study, why the nectar thick liquids? ?Does he cough or choke while he eats? ?Any history of pneumonia? ?Is ST or OT involved for swallowing tx? ??

?

?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"