Stay at Home Moms
Options

Watching other kids a few days a week?

It has been really rough on us the past few months to have my income completely out of the picture, so although we're still making all our bills, we have very little spending/ saving money. Now that DD is a little older, I am comfortable with her routine and she is really easy to handle during the day.

Two of my friends from our baby playgroup are looking for someone to watch their kids- each of them for two days a week (different days, one kid each) and are having trouble finding someone. Since I am already comfortable with their babies (who are about the same age as DD) I figured I would offer to watch their LOs for some extra spending money.

So here are my questions:

* How much would you charge in my situation? 

* Would you watch the babies at your place or go to the parent's house with your LO in tow?

* What duties do you take over? Just feeding, changing, playing with their baby and naps? Or do you help out around the house as well, if you're at their house?

TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker m/c 03.08.11 at ~9 weeks

Re: Watching other kids a few days a week?

• Options
    Look on Craigslist to see what the going rate in your area is.  I would definitely watch them in your home, so that it is easier on your DD.  I do feedings, diapers, activities, and daily reports so the parents know what they ate and did all day.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagepam1005:
    Look on Craigslist to see what the going rate in your area is.  I would definitely watch them in your home, so that it is easier on your DD.  I do feedings, diapers, activities, and daily reports so the parents know what they ate and did all day.

Great, thanks for the advice! Daily reports sound like a good idea.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker m/c 03.08.11 at ~9 weeks
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I did this for friends and it turned out very very badly.  We are no longer on speaking terms.  If you do this, make sure you have a very thorough and frank discussion with the parents about what is expected from each side.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I did this for a short period of time.  It wasn't for me.

- I charged $50 per day

- She brought her child to my house

- n/a

It would have been great if the child hadn't been slightly demonic.  I found it incredibly difficult to discipline someone else's child.  Good luck.

SAHM to DD1 (7), DS (5) and DD2 (1)
  • Options

imageEveryNameIWantIsTaken:
    I did this for friends and it turned out very very badly.  We are no longer on speaking terms.  If you do this, make sure you have a very thorough and frank discussion with the parents about what is expected from each side.

Agreed.  I wrote out an informal contract that we both signed and dated so we all knew what the terms were (I have a copy and they have a copy).  I started with just watching family, but I let them know that there was a chance I would eventually take in non-family kids. I wanted them to be aware of what I expected and make sure we were all on the same page.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers, Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"