Pregnant after 35

Plan for LOs while in the hospital?

For those who have little ones at home right now, what is your plan for them when you head to the hospital for this baby?  Our very loose and generally formed plan for our DD is that my MIL will either stay with her at our house or take her to her own house overnight and that overall we will try to keep her routine consistent with normal, i.e. her nanny will still come during the week, etc.  But DH and I were discussing it this morning and weren't sure about things like visiting the hospital - how often and how long? - whether DH would stay with me or should be home with her at least till she goes to bed, etc.  So I was just curious what others will do?
Eleanor Paige, born 3/27/08 Noah Christopher, born 10/2/10 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Plan for LOs while in the hospital?

• The plan for now is my mother comes to our house if it happens at night, and then the nanny comes in the morning and my mother goes to work (or the hospital). After the baby is born, I don't think my husband should stay overnight in my room. If I want to go to sleep the nurses will take care of the baby. Our new house is less than a mile away from the hospital though, plus my husband works there and can come in anytime. So we can make adjustments as we go.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Middle of the night, my parents will come to our house.

During the day, my parents will pick her up and take her to their house until the baby actually arrives.

DH will stay home with DD. DD will come and visit with DH after the baby is born and I'm up and moving again. Then she'll probably spend time at either daycare (weekdays) or my parent's house (weekends) as needed. Then I should be home after a couple days and everything goes back to a new normal.

I am a Wonder-Mom!
    DD#1 - January 2008
    DD#2 - September 2010
  • Loading the player...
  • our plan is for DS to go to MIL house, that my sis can either stay with him until SIL can pick him up or that SIL can meet us @ hospital & take him to MIL's.

DH is debating whether to leave him @ MIL or bring him home every night and take him back to MIL after a visit with me in the am.

• Hmmm...I see that I am being a bit selfish and silly.  I really wanted DH to stay in the hospital with me again like he did the first time, and he was planning to do so, but it probably would be a lot better for DD if he came home and was with her some each day.  She is used to me being gone occasionally for work trips so this would probably seem the same to her if he were there every night after the nanny is gone.  And if it is a weekend then she could just hang out with MIL which she will enjoy.  My mom will be here and could keep me company in the hospital when DH is away and my sister lives around here and could probably be there some too.  It doesn't help that DH is 6'6" and those hospital chair beds are not made for people his height - he will be way more comfortable at home in our king sized bed!  I suppose I will have to be a big girl about this!  Stick out tongue

Eleanor Paige, born 3/27/08 Noah Christopher, born 10/2/10 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DH has been able to stay with me in the past, but probably not this time. My mom or aunt has always made it out before delivery in past, but this time aunt is having horrible back issues and mom's going to Ireland  the week before baby is due - ugh. And ILs aren't the "involved grandparents" type, so they will only stay with kids for a minimum of time. So, I'll be flying solo much of the time right after lo arrives.

8 month cutie

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Hmmm.... I hadn't even thought about where DH would sleep-- at the hospital with me or with DS. I don't know what's best really. I hope more people write in with advice. DS will be with in-laws at a hotel close to the hospital, so would DH stay at the hotel, too? I do know that I want DH to bring DS in to meet his new little brother or sister and NOT my in-laws. I have issues with MIL taking over family moments.
    Cy (04.02.2008) & June (10.05.2010) 
  • Last time, my mom missed being at the hospital with me (not in delivery room) by one day;  DD decided to show up the day before my parents were scheduled to drive from Ohio to Texas.  So this time she is taking no chances and coming well before my due date!  MIL, who was able to be at the hospital with us last time, has graciously offered to look after DD so that my mom can be with me this time.  I haven't chatted with DH yet, but I think what probably makes sense is depending on when all this starts (weekday/weekend, daytime/nighttime) DD will be with her nanny as usual during weekdays and MIL will have her in the evenings or weekends.  DH will be with me at the hospital until the baby is born, then the rest of the time he can go home and take care of DD and sleep in a comfy bed and just come up to visit me during the day, and hopefully bring DD a couple of times.  My mom can hang out with me or at home with Ellie as she prefers. 

After reading the other replies this just sounds like the most reasonable plan. I'll run it past DH tonight and see what he thinks.

• I am having a c-section so I am commandeering DH for myself.  DD will have an 'adventure' with Grandma and my niece who will be visiting for the week - Grandma knows the routines, niece can manage DD's energy level. 

DH wants DD to still go to daycare, but I figured I would leave it up to my mom and my niece - it's a special week, I know routines are important but I am torn, I know DD will want to spend time with the family, she loves my niece.  I am preparing them to do whichever they feel is best, if they want to drop her off they can, if not they can hang at our house and play.  DH will probably go home briefly after 2 days and bring them all back to the hospital for a visit.

• I haven't come up with much of a plan yet, but my brother is the on-call person for when I go into labor.  DD loves him and my SIL, so she'll be fine with them until my ILs can get here to stay with her (they live 4 hours away).

Once the baby is born DH will probably be going back and forth between home and hospital.  Depending on how baby and I are doing and the timing of things, I might request an early discharge from the hospital.  I hate trying to sleep in hospitals, and they would have discharged me early the last time, but we were having major problems with bfing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"