Pre-School and Daycare
Options

RP - Peanut allergy moms

I posted this on 24+, but I figured you ladies may have some suggestions too! 

DD is allergic to nuts.  We are traveling to Maine this weekend.  I was just wondering if there were any restaurants that are known to be safe (or maybe safer than others)...obviously I'm thinking of chain restaurants found all across the country, not specifically in Maine.  Are there any products that can be bought a most grocery stores?  We have our favourites here, but most of the products that are peanut free here are Canadian, so I won't find them on holiday!

Re: RP - Peanut allergy moms

• Options
    I can't help you with your question, but just wanted to post that I saw on the news yesterday that there is an iphone app called ieatout that helps you avoid allergens on the go. I think it can also scan barcodes to tell you if there is an allergen in the food.
  • Options

How severe is the allergy? My son is allergic to peanuts, but he is fine being around them. We don't avoid restaurants just because they serve peanut products. We do avoid places that cook things like chicken tenders and fries in peanut oil.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

It's life threatening!  Although she would be fine being around them, if everyone was SUPER careful, I've worked in the restaurant business, and know that it's pretty hard to be safe...and let's be honest, not everyone REALLY gets it.  DD actually recently had a reaction at the grocery store when she put her hand on the cart handle...I guess someone else had had a nut product on their hands and used the cart before us.

We do/can eat at McDonalds and Pizza Hut here, so I'm assuming they're safe in the US too.  I was just wondering if any of the other big chains are good with allergies.

Love the iphone app...I had actually thought something like that would be so helpful...I'm glad someone came up with something...now all I need is an iphone! 

• Options

We have never had a problem in a chain restaurant. I would watch out for Chick-Filet because they cook in peanut oil. Boardwalk Fries and five Guys also cook in peanut oil and have peanuts in a big bucket for people to eat while they wait for their order.

Has your DD been tested for an allergy to sesame? It's in a lot of stuff like salad dressings and sauces, and lots of people who are allergic to peanuts are allergic to sesame.

• Options

She's fine with sesame, although I try to stay away from it if I can (I find that often if it has sesame, then it's come in contact with nuts).  She had her first reaction a year ago, so we've been living with it for a while now.  I find I get comfy with our 'usuals' here, so it's a bit scary to 'try something new'!

I figured that most chains are now pretty allergy aware.  We have a condo with a kitchen, so we'll be cooking most of our food (because it's not a break to take a 2.5 year old and a 6 month old to a restaurant), it's just good to know what's out there! 

• Options

Coming in on this late but I just saw this post.  I hope you check back.

Check out this website....

https://www.peanutallergykid.com/2008/07/safe-places-to-eat-with-peanut-allergy.html

DD Braelyn 12/12/06 DD Tiana 1/06/11
  • Options
    imagebraesmommy:

Coming in on this late but I just saw this post.  I hope you check back.

Check out this website....

https://www.peanutallergykid.com/2008/07/safe-places-to-eat-with-peanut-allergy.html

oooh that's a great site thanks!!  Ds is allergic to peanuts as well as soy, eggs, shrimp among others.  So eating out with him is very hard, but we have never had an issue.  Just be sure wherever u go to tell them up front about it.  I always just order things i know are safe, so as to avoid any problems!  GL!

• Options
    Thanks Braesmommy...what a fantastic site!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"