Maryland Babies

XP: Flying Southwest with LO

Looks like DS and I are going to fly Southwest this weekend for a funeral for my good friend's dad.  :(  Cancer, you are an ugly, awful b!tch.  

Can anyone confirm that I can check two bags AND his car seat?  Does the car seat need to be in one of those bags or will they give me one at the desk?  Am I crazy to think that I can wear him in a carrier in the airport and not bring a stroller?  (He doesn't sit on his own yet, so it would have to be my travel system instead of an umbrella stroller.)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Search & Win
My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!

Re: XP: Flying Southwest with LO

• I have done two round trip flights with Ada. We didn't fly Southwest, so I am not sure of their policies, but I know other airlines (who do charge for bags) check car seats for free. 

I wore her both trips. The first time I had no problems wearing her through security in either direction. On the second trip they made me take her off to go through on the way home. It was still easier than trying to get a stroller through.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  •  

I wanted to make sure to give you the right info.  This is from the website.  Sounds like you can check both at no extra fee.  Gotta love SWA!!!

Does an infant or child safety seat count as baggage?

• Customers traveling with children will be allowed to check one stroller and one Child Restraint System (CRS) or car seat per child without charge. This is in addition to the regular free baggage allowance.
    • The stroller and CRS or car seat allowance applies to any type of stroller (umbrella, full size, jogging stroller, etc.) and CRS or car seat.
    • The Customer may check the stroller and CRS or car seat at the curb, ticket counter, or gate.
    • Southwest Airlines will not assume liability for damage to strollers, CRSs or car seats. Each should be tagged as conditionally accepted and placed in a plastic bag.
    I think the bags are provided by SWA.  

Good luck be sure to bring something for your LO to suck on on the way up and down.  LOs cannot clear their ears (: 
  • Loading the player...
  • I would gate check the carseat - just to make sure that it gets on the right plane!!

And I totally think you can wear him - we took EC to Australia and didn't bring a stroller in the airport, I wore her in the Ergo.  They did make me take off her Robeez though to go through security.  I didn't have to take her off.

• ucgraducgrad member

Are you taking the infant seat? I'd gate check it. When we flew SW with Sophia at 3 months, I gate checked the seat. For one of the flights, it wasn't full, and they told me that I could take the carseat on the plane and she could have her own seat. I LOVE Southwest. I personally would just carry him through security (in your arms or carrier). That big stroller and carrier will be a lot to try to wrangle. Both will have to go through the screening machine. There will also be the added complication of trying to figure out what to do with him while you use both hands to fold up the stroller. I didn't travel alone with Sophia until last month and she could sit up by herself. I just set her on the floor (like a good parent). Oh, uh, maybe you aren't traveling alone.

And, something you didn't ask about, if you're flying with him on your lap, you'll have to take his birth certificate to the airport with you. He'll get a boarding pass thing also - it is needed to take him through security.

And, it seems scary, but really, flying with LO isn't nearly as bad/scary as you're anticipating!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH and I plan on flying with DD in October when she's a year old. I'm still trying to debate if I'm taking the umbrella stroller or her big stroller. I'm thinking umbrella because we are renting a car and won't have a lot of room with her carseat, all our luggage to fit everything. 

When you get back, I would like to hear how everything went.

Good luck! 

• imageucgrad:

Are you taking the infant seat? I'd gate check it. When we flew SW with Sophia at 3 months, I gate checked the seat. For one of the flights, it wasn't full, and they told me that I could take the carseat on the plane and she could have her own seat. I LOVE Southwest. I personally would just carry him through security (in your arms or carrier). That big stroller and carrier will be a lot to try to wrangle. Both will have to go through the screening machine. There will also be the added complication of trying to figure out what to do with him while you use both hands to fold up the stroller. I didn't travel alone with Sophia until last month and she could sit up by herself. I just set her on the floor (like a good parent). Oh, uh, maybe you aren't traveling alone.

And, something you didn't ask about, if you're flying with him on your lap, you'll have to take his birth certificate to the airport with you. He'll get a boarding pass thing also - it is needed to take him through security.

And, it seems scary, but really, flying with LO isn't nearly as bad/scary as you're anticipating!

I will be traveling alone with DS.

If I take the infant seat to the gate with me (and either gate check it or if there is room and they let him have a seat) then I would have to take the stroller too.  There's no way I could manage carrying him around the airport in the infant seat.  I think there would be a chance that the flights wouldn't sell out and he could have his own seat on these flights though.  Hmmm.  I can manage my stroller on my own (one handed fold) but I see what you mean about the added complication.  

I know I'm over thinking too.  I felt like I had so much room during our car trips with DS that I'm freaking at the thought of only having two suitcases for all of his crap.  :P  Thanks for reassuring me that it will go better than I'm expecting!  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • I have flown SW 3 times with Matthew (we actually just flew back home last night).  I would recommend taking your stroller and your car seat through security.  The TSA attendants are really helpful and will help you to fold your stroller if need be as well as take care of the car seat.  When he was 2 months old I took our stroller and I just used it to store all of our stuff (diaper bag, toys, etc) while we went through the airport.  (I was flying with just Matthew and myself that time).  The people at TSA folded the stroller for me - even though it is a one handed fold - and put both it and the car seat on the belt for me.  Also, something that I found out after the fact is that if you are flying alone with an infant you can ask SW to print a boarding pass so that your dh can go back with you and help you to get settled.  I HTH - have a great flight!  (I wish of course it was for better circumstances).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"