Minnesota Babies

Travel with kids question

We have a flight that leaves on a Sunday from the Humphrey Terminal (the small one) at 7:15 am.   What time should we get to the airport?  I normally arrive super early, and just hang-out/eat/shop, but that is all when I leave from Lindbergh.  Does Humphrey have anything like that?

Also, I have a car seat question:

DD will be traveling as a lap baby (I am dreading this), so we will not be able to bring her car seat on the plane without checking it.  When we arrive at our destination, our hotel offers a bus-style shuttle (that doesn't accommodate car seats) that will take us every where that is on our list of places we want to visit.  We are going to San Diego, and also plan on using the Trolley to get around one day.  We are not planning on renting a car at all.

So, do I even bring the car seat with?  If we end up having to take a cab at some point, I am going to hate not having a car seat.  But really, even if we had it, what do I with it once we get where the cab is taking us...

Am I crazy to think about not bringing the car seat?

I have traveled plenty, but never with DD.  Anyone have any great secret tips?  I have a back-up of fun new stuff assembled for Liv, but I am so nervous about the plane ride with her.  I don't want to have 'that kid'.

And as far as identification for her, we are only traveling domestically, so if I just bring her birth certificate, I should be fine - right?

Re: Travel with kids question

• I flew with DS when he was 7 months old...out of the Humphrey terminal around the same time you will be leaving...I'd get there EARLY.  I got there at 5:30 and the line to get through security was backed up all the way across the skyway.  Humphrey is the terminal used by Sun Country and Southwest and they fly a lot to Mexico and the exotic locals and those flights typically leave around 7am.

There isn't much in the way of food at humphrey but you should be able to get something there.  Just don't expect it to be like lindburgh...

I think I brought both DS's birth certificate and his SS Card and I can't remember which one they looked at, but it was pretty easy...they only need it when printing the ticket.  Your LO will be under 2 still when you travel right?  Because at 2 you have to purchase tickets...

As far as the car seats...you could maybe rent one when you are out there.  When I went DS was still in his infant seat and I just checked it because I knew I'd be renting a car.

• Can you check with your hotel to see if they have car seats available for rent or if they know of a place that does? I would hate to haul it with if I didn't need it, but at the same time it seems like it is such a big what if...

• Loading the player...
  • What I'd do?

Call the shuttle company you'll be using.  They will know CA laws and know whether they're OK having babies flying around their bus and the liability of getting into an accident!  If the person who answers doesn't know, demand a supervisor.

Google to learn the CA laws regarding taxi cabs.  I'm pretty sure in some states it's not LEGALLY required to have a car seat in a taxi.  But you'll want to confirm that in CA.

You don't have to CHECK the car seat.  You can gate check it, EVEN with a lap baby.  The airlines know it's not safe and it's illegal to be in a car w/o a car seat, so they don't charge you for a car seat EVEN with a lap baby.  Call the airline to reconfirm that, but I'm pretty sure it's an airline-wide policy.

Good luck!!  San Diego is super fun.

• I have already called our hotel, which is how I know that their shuttle doesn't accommodate car seats - there are no seat belts (think City bus).

My understanding is that CA law does not require child safety seats in taxis.

I am just so torn...

If we were renting a car, it would be a no-brainer.  Being that we aren't renting a car though...

I am fairly anal about car seat stuff (dd still rides RF), so I'm not sure I would even let her in a taxi without one.  But, if we did have one, WTH would I do with it?  So lets say we take a taxi from the hotel to Sea World, what would I do with the seat while we were at Sea World?

Thanks for the thoughts so far.  We can't be the only family with a toddler that has traveled without renting a car...

• Tip- Give baby a bottle when taking off and landing!  It helps with ear pops and they won't scream bloody murder! :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"