Canada Babies

Cdn OB question - have you experienced this?

Hi Ladies,

So I'm in the 'Peg, and I'm curious.  Just got back from my 38wk appt, and I asked if I could be checked (I'm dying of curiosity to see where I stand at this moment) - I've not had a single Braxton Hicks, baby still hasn't dropped, but thankfully, just had a GBS test done.

The answer to my question about an internal check?  You know it's going to hurt a lot - and why do you want to have it done now?  We normally don't do it until 40 weeks.

Has anyone else experienced this?  I just want to know - not that it's going to change anything, but a little bit of info is better than none.....let me know what you think.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Cdn OB question - have you experienced this?

• My midwife did a membrane sweep for me at 38 wks and i didn't hurt at all, what part of internal checking would be painful?  I think the OB is just trying to discourage you so that they don't have to do it.  A little info is definitely better than none. (btw, I was 2.5 - 3 cm dilated at that point, but I didn't go into labour for another week and a half)
    Children should be seen, and heard, and believed. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • AndLynAndLyn member
    I didn't specifically ask to be checked (since really, then numbers they give you don't mean much in terms of when labour is going to start), but my OB did mention that they wouldn't start doing internals until I hit 40 weeks. I got the sense it's fairly normal practice around here.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My doctor in Toronto gives you the option of being checked from 37 weeks onwards. I declined at 37 but did at 38 and was 4cm without having felt anything. The info is pretty useless though as I still didn't go into labour until 8 days later and was only 5cm by the time I got to the hospital. Then the last 5cm happened within 6 hours.

And for me, the internal did hurt...a lot. But I know everyone has a difference experience.

• My MW didn't do any internals until 40w. And it felt like I was being fisted by razor blades (had a stretch and sweep). But my cervix was "way up there".
  • There's no reason to check- dilation isn't really an accurate predictor of progress. You can be 2cms dilated for weeks, or be 0 and go into labour that night. I was never checked and I was 10 days overdue.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"