Baby Showers
Options

Baby Shower Drama

My mom and Grandma have told me at least 10 times that she wants in-laws to host a shower because they live an hour from her and have a large family, and we have a small family.  Well MIL offered, so my mom should be happy right?  Wrong- now my mom wants to host her own shower with her work friends. 

We live out of state, so would have to drive 5 hours to attend either shower and we don't want to do that twice so I thought if they want 2 showers than they can have it on the same weekend or we can just do MIL's shower and not mom's (since Mom never wanted to throw a shower until the day after she heard MIL was going to).  Since MIL already claimed Sunday then I though mom could have Saturday.  So I tell this to FIL and he says the moms should talk which is true.  I don't care anymore- I just wish they would leave me out of it.

To add fuel to the family drama SIL wants to help MIL host, but SIL and DH never get along.  He has tried with her and it always backfires so now he is done with her.

Re: Baby Shower Drama

• Options

As far as the moms go, it's reall quite simple. "Mom- the only weekend I can come home for a shower is ___. MIL has already chosen Sunday for her shower. So you can do yours on Saturday or we'll have to skip the shower all together. I'm not going to come home a 2nd time.". 

As for your MIL/SIL - huh?  If SIl wants to help her mom, she can help. Your DH and her not getting along, I really fail to see what that has to do w/ this. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

Thanks ECB.  You always have great advice.  Mom is an excellent guilt tripper- but I know I have to stand firm because there is no way I'm making that drive twice.  I have had a difficult pregnancy and there is a chance I can go early, so after the shower I want to stay close to home. 

I talked to DH and basically said that if SIL wants to help host let her, but that doesn't mean that magically you guys have a good relationship.  It just means that she is hosting this one event. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"