Birth Stories
Options

Unexpected.

imageimageMy due date wasn't until August 18th, 2010.. and i have had no complications during my pregnancy. The morning of fathers day (the day after my baby shower) i started feeling like i had to go to the bathroom.. I let it go for a about 4 hours. At about 11 in the morning i called my mom to see if she could give me any advice on what to do when your constipated.. She told me to come over to decide weather or not i was having contractions because i had absolutely no idea. When i got there she started to time my contractions.. 6-7 min apart. We called my doctor and he said go straight to the hospital, as i was 2 months early. Once we got to Metro Health hospital they checked me and i was dilated to a 4.. They started me on some meds to slow me down and they gave me a steroid shot to help develop his lungs faster. In the mean time they had called an ambulance from Spectrum Health so i could be there if the baby comes. They have an amazing Neonatal unit. So i was sent to Spectrum at about 3pm. Once i got there i was still a four, and only an hour later i was to an 8. I was in SO much pain, but i wanted to have a natural birth so i refused all medicine. My contractions started to come every minute to thirty seconds apart and it had been 6 hrs and i was still stuck at an 8. After the 6 hours i began to get extremely tired and could hardly handle the pain.. The doctors said they wanted him to stay in there as long as he could so the steroid shot could do its job, so they talked me into an epidural considering they had no idea how long they wanted to continue the meds to slow me down. An hour after i received the epidural it was time to push and after 7 pushes my son, William Otto Schwandt V was born, and whisked away by a team of doctors. I didn't get to see him at all. He was born on Monday June 21st at 3:00am, and he weighed 4lbs 1oz. This was all the beginning of our incredibly long journey in the NICU.

Re: Unexpected.

• Options

Wow, what a story. Despite the drama that ensued, it sounds like you're handling it well. These sorts of experiences only make us stronger...so hang in there. This experience will only make you a stronger and more devoted mother...I just know it.

Take care, and I'll keep thinking of you & praying for you and your little one. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"