Birth Stories
Options

First Time Birth - Almost an April Fools Baby

I love telling my birth story, so I thought it was time to post it somewhere! :) My daughter Morgan is now 4 months old. She was born at 9:22pm on March 31, 2010. We thought for sure she'd be born on April Fools day, but she missed it by 3 hours.

The reason we though April Fools day would be appropriate is that I was in the hospital 5 different times with False Labor.

It started at 32 weeks when I went to my regular appointment and mentioned that I was having what I thought was Braxton Hicks contractions that were a bit more often that I thought they should be. The doctor had me go down to Labor & Delivery for monitoring. I drove over, unworried, because the doctor seemed to think it was no big deal.

They examine me at Labor and Delivery and I'm 2cm dilated! My contractions are less than a minute apart and my blood works shows I'm anemic! They put me in a room and on a blood transfusion and then start me on Magnesium to stop the contractions. If you've ever been on Magnesium for this, you'll know it's awful!! It makes you feel like you're in a room that is 100 degrees, sucks all the energy out of you and makes you very dry... My contractions slow down, but don't stop.

However, I don't dilate anymore. They keep me there for 5 days giving me procardia and shots of something else to keep my contractions under control. They also give me steroids for the babies lungs in case she comes early.

The procardia helps some, but I have contractions off and on for the next few weeks. I go back to Labor and Delivery 4 more times because they are less than a minute apart, but no more dilation.

Around this time, my Mastiff starts to fall ill. She is 8 years old and we take her to the vet on March 30th because she can barely stand up. She was fine the day before. The vet looks at her and she is septic from a uterine infection. They have to put her down to keep her from being in too much pain as the infection had a very high chance of killing her. I cried all night!

The next morning I wake up with horrible back pain and after a few hours, it doesn't subside so I call the doctor. He tells me to go to Labor and delivery, and I know this time is it. My husband rushes me there and they put me right into a room. The doctor examines me and I'm 5 cm. I sit in chair next to the monitor and prepare myself. I am determined to have no meds About 5 hours later, he checks me again and I'm still five, so he breaks my bag of water.

Now the contractions are bad! They get to be about a minute apart and don't subside much because of the constant back pain, my baby is posterior they say and she doesn't seem to want to flip. at 9pm, I yell for my husband to get the nurse because I NEED to push. They check me and I'm fully dilated and the nurse calls the dr. She says you need to come now, she sees head.

My body takes over and I start to push with all my might!! 15 minutes later, my daughter is born and I see her beautiful face for the first time. I didn't even notice all the goo, she was so gorgeous. Almost an April Fools Day baby, but not quite... I think even that would have been too predictable for her!! LOL!!! Wink

Re: First Time Birth - Almost an April Fools Baby

• Options
    Such a great story! And thanks so much for sharing, its so funny how she was even fooling you on being an April Fools baby! And I'm so sorry about your dog. That must have been so hard to go through at the time. You must be so strong! ::hugs::
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"