Options

i'm CD obsessed - help!

i need an intervention!

just started looking on my local CL and found the following, all for $5 each:

3 kissaluv sz 0
2 thirsties xs
2 fuzzibunz sm
3 thirsties duo sz 1

some are EUC, others are unclear - i've emailed the sellers to ask.  

so far, my stash consists solely of 24 infant prefolds and covers.  I'm interested in trying some fitted and pockets.

what should i do?  stop looking and don't get any of them?  get them all? Stick out tongue  seems like pretty good prices?

oh, and there's also 5 thirsties M covers and 24 prefolds for $25 - "the diaper covers show wear on the Velcro and gussets and have some stains (from strawberries and cherries)."  is that considered GUC?  $25 seems like a steal?  but i'm not sure if we'll want to continue using prefolds after the infant stage, and i don't know if I wanted sized covers when everyone makes OS now?

problem is, everything seems cheap enough to try - and i can always sell them if i don't like them, right?  someone talk some sense into me please!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: i'm CD obsessed - help!

• Options

haha - subject caught my eye so I had to respond.

but i'm not much help with prices for used diapers.  I think newborn size diapers get used for such a short time that they would be worth a look?  

Our thirsties covers showed wear pretty quickly - not sure if it's something I did, my machine, or what.  Not that they won't last through more children, but I was just surprised.

The one thing I can comment on - I still like using prefolds - and I have tons of other fancy diapers to pick instead.  We use pockets for daycare and then I use prefolds and covers for all other times (except nights when I use either a pocket with hemp stuffing or a goodmama and cover).  Honestly, to me changing a prefold is less "gross" than unsnapping a soaked fitted at this stage of the game - if you kind of mostly un-snappy and you can fling it towards the pail w/out even touching it.  not so with a complicated fitted. (may change again to like convenience types with solid poo? not sure)

it's addicting huh? haha.

• Options

I totally know what you mean... I bought a little bit of everything before A was born just to try it out and see what I liked! honestly, I wish I had just waited to see if I liked the PFs first b/c I do...and I ended up having to sell a bunch of what i don't often use.  now, I got such great prices I was able to resell w/o losing money, but it was still a hassle. 

in my experience, used PFs usually sell for about $1 each if you are buying locally and $2+ each if shipped (they are VERY heavy and shipping is $$$).  covers that are "well loved" usually sell for about $5. not sure about kissaluvs and fuzzibunz b/c i never shopped around for those. i had a sized thirsties cover and i had the hardest time selling it either online or locally on CL. i think b/c everyone wants the thirsties duos now instead of sized ones. so i would not buy the thirsties XS if i were you

i am not sure how much wear a diaper needs to have before the velcro shows wear b/c honestly i have been using mine for 8 months now and none of the ones i got new or in like new condition show any signs of wear on the velcro.  i did buy some used that were like you describe and it makes me wonder how old they are!! most diapers can take about 200-250 washings and i am not sure how many it takes before the velcro gets that way.  unlike Robbi, i have found that my covers have lasted very well.  she is still in the size 1 duo covers (except at night when i have to use size 2 for the goodmamas) and they look like they are brand new, just some shadowing on the gussets which would sun out if i took the time to do so. the velcro still looks new too!

if you still want to try other diapers to see what you like, then i'd get the kissaluvs and fuzzibunz...and duos if they are the AIOs but not covers b/c i think you have enough covers already? i would probably only get 1 of each...you can always get more if you end up liking them

before buying used make sure and ask the seller (some don't disclose info unless you ask):

- have the diapers ever been boiled (shortens the life of elastic)

- ever had problems with staph or yeast? (would not buy if the answer is yes)

- any stink issues?

- any repelling issues?

- elastic still good or starting to get loose?

- any snags/tears/pulls or other defects?

- any staining?

- was bleach ever used?

- is the aplix/velcro still sticky?

- diapers dried in dryer or hung to dry? (diapers that are hung to dry will last longer...)

that's all i can think of right now :) HTH!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

jaime, i knew i could totally count on you! Big Smile  that's a great list of questions - lots of stuff I wouldn't have thought of.  thanks too, robbi, for your thoughts!

unfortunately, it turns out the duos are just the wraps - i was hoping they were the AIOs.  good to know it's hard to sell the sized thirsties - that makes the xs and m much less appealing.  hrm.  i will keep stalking CL.  have looked at diapperswappers and a few others, but they're more overwhelming to me still - SO many posts, and it seems like stuff sells much more quickly. 

also, good to know re used PFs...i bought my PFs from cottonbabies for $1.10 each (on sale), though I think the bigger ones were slightly more expensive.   I know the GMD ones are more, but I didn't realize they hold their value so well!

i never knew diapers could be so fun, haha.  thanks ladies!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    MrsZizMrsZiz member
    I have never tried anything except our GMD prefolds and I love them! I've used thirsties and bummis covers and prefer the thirsties. I've never tried the pocket diapers but the thought of pulling a wet diaper out of a pocket kind of grosses me out. I LOVE our prefolds and Bella's almost 1! There was  brief phase where she was really wiggly during changing but it was short lived. Now I usually hand her a toy to place with to keep her from rolling away. 

I had the urge to try others but never did because I figured I'd see how the PF's went first. There's SO much cute stuff it's hard to hold back!
  • Options

Wow, Jamie knows her stuff! Super informative. Thanks!

I had a lot of fun buying the diapers beforehand, and most of my AIOs were pre-loved, since they're $$ and I just wanted to experiment with them. So, assuming the dipes are in good condition, those CL deals sound pretty good. That's way cheaper than I've seen on my local CL board and a good way to add variety to your stash without investing too much.

As it turns out, I'm glad I bought PFs, AIOs and pockets. I have 24 PFs and about 3 Thirsties wraps per size (wish I'd known about the duos). PFs are way easier than I thought they'd be, but I still prefer AIOs when we go out. One piece on, one piece off - which is especially helpful when changing in his stroller or in the backseat of my car. (I have about 4 per size)

I use BG pockets for bedtime (have 12, but 6 have been enough so far). These are bulkier than my AIOs right now, so I mainly use them at home. Pulling out the insert is not a big deal at all. I just reach in, grab with my finger tips and toss into the laundry. The insert stays in place, so it's not like you have to dig in and fish for it. That'd be gross! ;) It's just usually a little wet or has a little poop stain on it, so my hands get just as "dirty" as they would from handling a soiled PF.

PFs are totally sufficient on their own and the cheapest option, for sure. But your deals sound good and, like you said, you can always re-sell if you change your mind.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

yep,pockets don't bother me at all either. 

I can change a prefold w/out touching it most of the time by flinging it with the snappi.  Often I can shake the insert out but unless it's the overnight diaper the back part is not usually wet anyways so I always just grab it out with 2 fingers and lay it inside the diaper and fold to place in the pail.  I like doing it that way to keep the outer from getting gross/wet for when I fish things out of there on laundry day. (you could just dump the bag, but I like to double check that I got all the tabs folded down, inserts out, and grab any random disposable wipe that may have made it in the pail (DH!!).

The only thing I dislike (and even that isn't "that bad") is taking off an overnight soaked bulky fitted.  I guess it's just me, but I don't like to add lots of stress to the snaps so I usually hold on to one side while unsnapping so that is when I touch a wet diaper the most.

• Options
    imageMauiWedding08:

I can change a prefold w/out touching it most of the time by flinging it with the snappi.

Wow, you're a snappi Olympian! I always remove it right away because its edges are so sharp and I want it out of A's way when he's kicking and fidgeting - DH got a nasty cut once when getting a little too rough with a diaper change. So I usually end up handling the edges or least-soaked parts of PFs as they go into the laundry. But I still prefer that to the occasional blowouts we used to get when using sposies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Sandra- i hope you don't mind me jumpng in with a question. :)

We just started using grobaby's hybrid system and M is 98% of the time in a onesie or sleeper. So it seems like it will be covered under the onesie most of the time unless i just have him in a shirt with the cute diaper covers on. what do you ladies do? sorry, i'm typing with one hand :)

• Options

imageSanHawaii08:
    also, good to know re used PFs...i bought my PFs from cottonbabies for $1.10 each (on sale), though I think the bigger ones were slightly more expensive.   I know the GMD ones are more, but I didn't realize they hold their value so well!

oh sorry. i should have specified that i don't know about traditional PFs...when i shopped around it was simply for GMDs...and FWIW when i first looked at diaperswappers i was overwhelmed too. sooo many posts and you feel like you don't want to read through all of them to find a good deal. what i did was i'd spend a few min. each day looking at posts for just one specific item. i'd see the condition, prices, etc but not buy.  after a little while i got a good feel for what things were worth and what was considered an "ok buy" and what was a real steal! obviously you have to act quick on the steals or someone else snatches them up but if you are bored at work and have time it is so worth it :) and don't forget to negotiate! there was a mama selling BG organic AIOs in EUC for $17 each. i asked her for $15 each if i bought 2.  not all mamas are willing to bargain w/you but this one was so i got a great deal on them

imageparrotgirl:

We just started using grobaby's hybrid system and M is 98% of the time in a onesie or sleeper. So it seems like it will be covered under the onesie most of the time unless i just have him in a shirt with the cute diaper covers on. what do you ladies do? sorry, i'm typing with one hand :)

i'm not sure what your question is...are you asking why we bother to buy cute colors and prints when you don't always see it b/c the baby is dressed??? :) i think it's fun to have different colors even if no one sees them!! I still see them when I am changing her :) i also think it's a little different if you have a girl b/c then she can be in dresses w/the diaper showing sometimes.  i still use bloomers sometimes but other times i just leave them off of her and use a coordinating diaper cover that matches her outfit.  when she was younger and going through more frequent diaper changes i would sometimes just put her in a tshirt and no pants w/a diaper cover that matched her shirt so that diaper changes would be faster/easier, too.  not sure if that answers your question?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"