Trying to Get Pregnant

interesting "facts" about late ovulation

So I was perusing the internet and searching for facts on "late" ovulation (after day 21). Prior to my BFP I ovulated late (even prior to my wonky cycle I was ovulating day 23-24)

They were discussing that late ovulation could cause problems with TTC

"First, the quality of the egg is generally not as good as if you had ovulated on time. Second, the lining of your uterus may be too old to support implantation. Finally, late ovulation means fewer chances to try to conceive over time. However, keep in mind that it's not entirely impossible for women with late ovulation to become pregnant".

Yikes!!! now Im wondering if this was linked to my miscarriage!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: interesting "facts" about late ovulation

• I mentioned this in my post earlier too. An article I found even said:

"If your cycles 30-35 days, you ovulate much later than the day 14.

This means that your egg is aging inside you before it even gets released. You still can get pregnant with this old egg, but the chances of carrying full term are slim: you are very likely to miscarry the pregnancy."

Scared the crap out of me when I first read it.

• Where did you find it Kel?  It seems like there are quite a few ladies here who ovulate later.  I'm sure lots of them get BFP's and healthy babies, but knowing numbers might be interesting.  How have your cycles been since?
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • That is scary to me, too, since I typically O around CD 23, and I miscarried last cycle.

I mentioned to my dr. that I typically O later in my cycle and she said it was no problem. Some women just have that pattern and it's nothing to worry about.

So...basically I don't know.

• I find this super interesting.. im going to make some notes of this one thanks Kel
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I read it on quite a few websites actually (it got me looking). they talk about bad linings & "old" and "bad" eggs. YIKES!!!!

the 2 cycles I charted prior to my BFP I ovulated day 23-24. I miscarried at 6weeks. They never saw a heartbeat or anything.

I told my OB @ that point that I O'd late...but they didn't seem to give a sh-t.

Now Im anxious!

• imageJenWen3:

That is scary to me, too, since I typically O around CD 23, and I miscarried last cycle.

I mentioned to my dr. that I typically O later in my cycle and she said it was no problem. Some women just have that pattern and it's nothing to worry about.

So...basically I don't know.

I asked my OB if I ovulate much later if I should still try and she said it was absolutely fine. So I plan to keep trying and hope for the best!

• Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

I've had a few doctors look at my charts in the last couple months and NONE were concerned about my ovulation between cd20-23. When I spoke to my RE on the phone for my appointment next week I mentioned that I didn't ovulate until cd28 (likely) this month and he also said thats just the way some bodies work.

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagerrcraz7:

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

I've had a few doctors look at my charts in the last couple months and NONE were concerned about my ovulation between cd20-23. When I spoke to my RE on the phone for my appointment next week I mentioned that I didn't ovulate until cd28 (likely) this month and he also said thats just the way some bodies work.

Yeah I dont know WHAT to think. I have read it several places saying the egg is not as "strong" and as "fertile

• I asked my RE about this and he said "late ovulation does not effect younger women in a negative way"....I don't know what his definition of "younger women" is but he didn't seem concerned. I'm 26.
  • Umm you are born with your eggs, how do they age faster than they do since they all aren't released the first time you get your period? I had a VERY late O (over 3 months since LMP) and had a perfectly healthy baby. My doctor never expressed concern over the quality of the egg or lining. I have not gotten my period since May (Depo from April 09 to Jan 10, no post BC period) of last year and my doctor is not concerned about the quality of my lining. If this were the case how would anyone on Depo be able to concieve without having a period prior to TTC?

Edit for grammer and syntax

• I've done a lot of research on late ovulation as well since I typically O around CD30 - CD34, and I'm not worried about it.  It sucks that I have fewer chances per year, but I'm just thankful that I am ovulating and my cycles are predictable and follow a pattern.  I have read posts on several different message boards about other women who O late, and their RE's and OB's told them that it is perfectly fine.  I'm not going to concern myself with it until we've been trying for 12 cycles. 
  • imagecantalopes24:

Umm you are born with your eggs, how do they age faster than they do since they all aren't released the first time you get your period? I had a VERY late O (over 3 months since LMP) and had a perfectly healthy baby. My doctor never expressed concern over the quality of the egg or lining. I have not gotten my period since May (Depo from April 09 to Jan 10, no post BC period) of last year and my doctor is not concerned about the quality of my lining. If this were the case how would anyone on Depo be able to concieve without having a period prior to TTC?

The  EGG isn't old the LINING is old. The articles were saying the egg is not as "good" and the lining is "old".

I'm 32...so I am approaching what they consider "advanced maternal age".

• imagekellbranc:
    imagecantalopes24:

Umm you are born with your eggs, how do they age faster than they do since they all aren't released the first time you get your period? I had a VERY late O (over 3 months since LMP) and had a perfectly healthy baby. My doctor never expressed concern over the quality of the egg or lining. I have not gotten my period since May (Depo from April 09 to Jan 10, no post BC period) of last year and my doctor is not concerned about the quality of my lining. If this were the case how would anyone on Depo be able to concieve without having a period prior to TTC?

The  EGG isn't old the LINING is old. The articles were saying the egg is not as "good" and the lining is "old".

Ok but what about the rest of my post? I got pregnant with DS on an over 90 day cycle and had no problems with implantation. And women on Depo are ok to TTC immediately after discontinuing and some of them would then have years old linings. I am technically on cycle day 202 and if I were to O my OB sees no problem with me having a healthy baby. That is a much older lining than someone with a 30 or even 60 day lining. And I still don't understand why the egg wouldn't be as "good". Wouldn't that make the egg you release next month be even less "good" since it's been waiting a whole extra cycle?

• I o'd really late and got pregnant with DS...my cycle was 40+ days...I o'd on cd 22 (sep 18) and I found out I was pregnant on oct 4! I remember because It took us a year of TTC!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I have a friend who's husband has a low sperm count and she ovulates three times a year they found out.  She has a 7 year old and is due in February (all naturally conceived).  

I don't know if this helps at all, but try not to worry too much!  I know it's not easy.

• imagekellbranc:
    imagecantalopes24:

32 is not "advanced maternal age" I thought after 36?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Hmm...my doc told me he thought my late (usually CD17-18) O was making my lining break down early too and give me all the spotting I have...which is why he prescribed me Progesterone supp even though my 7DPO Progesterone levels are normal. H e wanted me to start taking it on CD 14 but I have been wiating til I confirm O.  I am certainly interested in reading the continued responses to this post!
  • This is sketchy to me. Even with a 29 day cycle, I O'd on day 17. While that's not "late" by the standards of this article, it's certainly late-er. In my brief time chart stalking, O on CD14 seems to definitely be the exception, not the rule. Plenty of women with long cycles get pregnant, don't they?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • imagecantalopes24:
    imagekellbranc:
    imagecantalopes24:

Ok but what about the rest of my post? I got pregnant with DS on an over 90 day cycle and had no problems with implantation. And women on Depo are ok to TTC immediately after discontinuing and some of them would then have years old linings. I am technically on cycle day 202 and if I were to O my OB sees no problem with me having a healthy baby. That is a much older lining than someone with a 30 or even 60 day lining. And I still don't understand why the egg wouldn't be as "good". Wouldn't that make the egg you release next month be even less "good" since it's been waiting a whole extra cycle?

Im don't know how much of this IS true. I just found it interesting considering I have never heard of this before. I would want to speak to my OB about it 1st. Im in the medical field and I KNOW better then to always trust 100% what is on the internet for sure.

It is reassuring to hear of your success storhy!! I am sure many people get pregnant with long cycles like you did and even go on to have perfect babies. The month of my BFP I ovulated on cd24. However, I miscarried. So I was just curious as to whether or not there was a link between the two.

• imagecantalopes24:

Thanks Cantalope for the sunny side for us late ladies :)

I'm going to go with this. I'm a late ovulatior (sp) and it's my body and how it works. I figure that just because my body works differently doesn't mean it's broken or I'm going to have a deformed baby. I'll deal with anymore issues if they arise with my doctor. 

Took 2 years & 8 months to make our baby! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageSeptemberBride'08:
    imagecantalopes24:

Thanks Cantalope for the sunny side for us late ladies :)

I'm going to go with this. I'm a late ovulatior (sp) and it's my body and how it works. I figure that just because my body works differently doesn't mean it's broken or I'm going to have a deformed baby. I'll deal with anymore issues if they arise with my doctor. 

I am a late ovulator too (well as of this cycle perhaps a non ovulator). That being said I was doing some research to see if there was any link to hormone issues or something in that arena & late ovulation. Instead I found all of those other "nuggets" of information.

Like I said, It won't stop me from TTC or anything.... It is just something I might bring up to my OB

• atlbatlb member

imagenikkileigh11:
    Hmm...my doc told me he thought my late (usually CD17-18) O was making my lining break down early too and give me all the spotting I have...which is why he prescribed me Progesterone supp even though my 7DPO Progesterone levels are normal. H e wanted me to start taking it on CD 14 but I have been wiating til I confirm O.  I am certainly interested in reading the continued responses to this post!

Your doc really thinks CD17-18 O is late? That might be the silliest thing I've heard in a while...

• imageatlb685:

imagenikkileigh11:
    Hmm...my doc told me he thought my late (usually CD17-18) O was making my lining break down early too and give me all the spotting I have...which is why he prescribed me Progesterone supp even though my 7DPO Progesterone levels are normal. H e wanted me to start taking it on CD 14 but I have been wiating til I confirm O.  I am certainly interested in reading the continued responses to this post!

Your doc really thinks CD17-18 O is late? That might be the silliest thing I've heard in a while...

That is strange. From what I heard "late" ovulation is anything after 21 days

• imagecantalopes24:
    imagekellbranc:
    imagecantalopes24:

I think a lot of it depends on why you are ovulating late. If that's just how your body works and all of your hormone levels are generally normal, then it is what it is. If you ovulate late because your ovaries are full of follicles and you have a jacked up FSH:LH ratio and it takes a long time for your body to overcome that ratio, your eggs are going to be sitting in a hormone "cocktail" that isn't correct. And then, of course, it becomes hard to say whether the increased incidence of miscarriage on late ovulation cycles is due to the late ovulation per se or if it's related to the hormonal issues causing the late ovulation.

And I think you're thinking of the egg issue wrong...yes, you are born with all the eggs you will ever have in your ovaries. However, they are immature. You start the beginning of the cycle with a bunch of small follicles. The follicles basically encase the egg. As your FSH hormones increase, one follicle begins to grow bigger than the others. Once it becomes mature, you see the LH surge and the release of that follicle with ovulation. So an egg that has been exposed to 14 days of FSH before surge may be structurally different from one that has been exposed to 114 days of FSH.

As for the lining with Depo issue - it's my understand that Depo works not just by inhibiting ovulation, but also by thickening cervical mucus and stopping the lining from growing. So women who get pregnant right off of Depo are getting pregnant with a lining that is only as old as when the Depo wore off - so say the Depo is good for 3 months and then her hormones aren't suppressed anymore...that would mean when she ovulates, she's still only got a lining that's 14 days thick or whatever. Just because she hasn't had her period in 6 months or whatever does not mean it's been growing that whole time while she was on Depo. 

• imageSkypekWithoutAC:
    imagecantalopes24:
    imagekellbranc:
    imagecantalopes24:

I think a lot of it depends on why you are ovulating late. If that's just how your body works and all of your hormone levels are generally normal, then it is what it is. If you ovulate late because your ovaries are full of follicles and you have a jacked up FSH:LH ratio and it takes a long time for your body to overcome that ratio, your eggs are going to be sitting in a hormone "cocktail" that isn't correct. And then, of course, it becomes hard to say whether the increased incidence of miscarriage on late ovulation cycles is due to the late ovulation per se or if it's related to the hormonal issues causing the late ovulation.

And I think you're thinking of the egg issue wrong...yes, you are born with all the eggs you will ever have in your ovaries. However, they are immature. You start the beginning of the cycle with a bunch of small follicles. The follicles basically encase the egg. As your FSH hormones increase, one follicle begins to grow bigger than the others. Once it becomes mature, you see the LH surge and the release of that follicle with ovulation. So an egg that has been exposed to 14 days of FSH before surge may be structurally different from one that has been exposed to 114 days of FSH.

As for the lining with Depo issue - it's my understand that Depo works not just by inhibiting ovulation, but also by thickening cervical mucus and stopping the lining from growing. So women who get pregnant right off of Depo are getting pregnant with a lining that is only as old as when the Depo wore off - so say the Depo is good for 3 months and then her hormones aren't suppressed anymore...that would mean when she ovulates, she's still only got a lining that's 14 days thick or whatever. Just because she hasn't had her period in 6 months or whatever does not mean it's been growing that whole time while she was on Depo. 

That was my question and that makes sense. I just hate that theres all kind of information on the internet but no one tells WHY things are the way they are. I wish people would explain in articles.

• I normally O later, between 18-22 days & I have miscarried twice. Interesting. The first pg though I O'd really late too, like day thirty something. I had my son successfully with IUI. Interesting. I've always wondered that myself
  • Hmm... this is a little scary. My cycles are usually 35-40 days. This month I didn't O until CD 28. I'm just starting to TTC so I don't know yet whether I'll have any issues, but now I'm a little freaked out!
  • StephKStephK member

Where did you find this article?  Is it in a peer-reviewed journal?  If so, can I have the citation, because I'd be really curious to read whatever research and results they used to reach their conclusions.

I think the internet is a useful tool, but it is also a good way to scare yourself.  The most I could find in a quick search of actual journals is a mention that long cycles are associated with increased risk of a variety of things, but increased risk is not a guarantee of anything.

• imageStephK:

Where did you find this article?  Is it in a peer-reviewed journal?  If so, can I have the citation, because I'd be really curious to read whatever research and results they used to reach their conclusions.

I think the internet is a useful tool, but it is also a good way to scare yourself.  The most I could find in a quick search of actual journals is a mention that long cycles are associated with increased risk of a variety of things, but increased risk is not a guarantee of anything.

The quotes being referenced seem to be from doctors, but not articles. I looked for a while on Google scholar and couldn't find anything peer-reviewed about late ovulation in general, which kind of surprises me.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"