Postpartum Depression
Options

just want to feel better....

I have struggled with depression for years and usually Zoloft works well for me.  I take 100mg a day and although there are side effects, they are not as bad as the depression makes me feel.

Well I am now almost 31 weeks pregnant and although I continue to take the Zoloft, depression is creeping up on me.  I cry all the time and I don't want to do anything but sleep.  I don't even care about getting things ready for the baby.  I was so excited about everything during the second trimester and now I find myself wishing I wasn't even pregnant.  I know this is depression, I've had it so many times before, but I can't seem to pull myself out of it.  Did anyone experience this toward the end of their pregnancy?  I'm afraid things will only get worse after my baby is born.  DH really doesn't get it at all.....I'm not sure what to do.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: just want to feel better....

• Options
    I'm sorry you're feeling so bad! Depression is so horrible. I was pretty much ok during my pregnancy. Towards the end I was ready to be done being pregnant and just meet my little guy. The week I gave birth I began feeling very anxious. I was supposed to be induced at 39 weeks and went to the doctor at 38 weeks and they decided to induce me that next day. I cried and cried that night b/c I was a big ball of emotions. I felt the depression coming on. When I was in the hospital after having DS I was pretty content. The night I had him I had a breakdown. I had a rough and scary delivery. They took him to the nursery in the middle of the night for some tests and I laid in bed crying. It was weird not being pregnant and not feeling him move inside me. It was definitely an adjustment. When we went home I was so depressed. It was such a change and adjustment. I love DS more than anything and was so happy to have him but the hormones take a toll. I got on lexapro right away and it has helped tremendously. Have you thought about trying another kind of medication? Also, there is some drug, it might be cymbalta, that you can take along with other depression meds that supposedly helps even more with symptoms. Also, DH is the same way. He doesn't get it. He has never suffered depression. Most people who haven't suffered from it just don't get it. Talk to your doctor to see if there is a way they can adjust your medications. Feel free to PM me if you need to talk or have any questions! Hope things get better for you!
  • Options

i felt that way when i was in my 2nd trimester. it was christmas during that time and everyone was getting gifts for LO and i just didn't care. i was so depressed that i couldn't eat and i was having panic attacks almost everyday. i felt so guilty because i felt like i didn't care for my baby that i had in my belly.

like you, i was on zoloft but before i got pregnant. i decided to get back on the pill when i was 5 months pregnant and started seeing a psychologist. that made everything better for me and i fought the depression i was feeling.

it did come back once LO was born but not as bad. hang in there! i promise this will pass....youre just tired and its normal to feel this way. keep taking your meds. maybe you should consider getting councling. remember to take deep breaths when youre feeling anxious and tell yourself that you are strong and you can do this, you can!

best of luck my dear and hang in there!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"