Minnesota Babies

MN SAHMs.

We just made the decision tonight for me to be a SAHM - Thank you WIC!  Once the girls are STTN I may work weekends to bring in a little extra $$, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

So, stay at home mommies fill me in: What are some fun, free, or low cost things to do with little ones, my girls are only 2 months now, but I'm looking for ideas for later too?  How do you stay sane?  What $$ saving tips to you have?  Any other advice you can share? 

TIA!

bfp 5/17/09 - missed m/c 6/17/09 @ 9w - stopped growing 6w 1d, D&C 6/19/09
BFP #2 10/13/2009 on our 2nd Wedding Anniversary
Discovered TWINS during the 6w u/s - what a shocker!
Delivered on 5/19/2010 at 34 weeks due to pre-e and HELLP syndrome
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
The Bump MoM Recipe Collection

Re: MN SAHMs.

• Your girls are so cute. We keep our selfs busy with a lot of stuff (mostly free). Aiden LOVES Story times, out door concerts, & lots of other fun places to go. Where about in the TC do you live? 

• imagePayne2B2008:

Your girls are so cute. We keep our selfs busy with a lot of stuff (mostly free). Aiden LOVES Story times, out door concerts, & lots of other fun places to go. Where about in the TC do you live? 

Thanks!

We're in the north metro - Mounds View, New Brighton area

• Loading the player...
  • imagePayne2B2008:

Your girls are so cute. We keep our selfs busy with a lot of stuff (mostly free). Aiden LOVES Story times, out door concerts, & lots of other fun places to go. Where about in the TC do you live? 

Thanks!

We're in the north metro - Mounds View, New Brighton area

• Check into the infants ECFE class through the moundsview school district.  It's pretty inexpensive and a great way to meet moms how have babies around the same age. 

I'm in a MOPS group in Anoka too.  It's a little bit of a drive, but the cost per year is way less.

The Ramsey county libraries have story time.  I think the kids have to be 6 months old for that. 

Getting out of the house daily is what kept me sane with my first DS.  I haven't tried to take both boys out on my own yet. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm a SAHM too for now. We haven't actually really done much since my DD is so little, but before she was born me and my SO were always doing free things :) The como zoo, Minneapolis Institute of Art, and parks could be fun (and free). MIA has kids days (Sunday?) I think and the Walker Museum is free on the first Saturday of each month and on Thursday evenings (may not be as kid friendly though).

Staying sane can be hard, especially since my baby isn't sleeping well, but make sure to stay connected to other adults. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ditto the recommendation for ECFE. We just finished the infant massage class through ecfe in Mounds View and it was really fun. I think their new schedule comes out in a week. If you do want to register for any classes make sure you send in your money and registration by the date they request and then they have a random drawing to fill the spots. There is usually a baby class offered for infants 12 months and younger. We're in a baby ecfe class right now too. We also just signed up for baby storytime at the library. Also, there is a fun Sing Play Learn series offered at the libraries that is free. https://www.macphail.org/ECM_SPL_schedule.html We use cloth diapers to save money. Getting out of the house keeps us sane. I try to have at least one activity (meeting a friend, ecfe, library) scheduled a day. The days when I don't get out of the house at all are the hardest.

Photo taken at 16 months old
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm in duluth, so I'm not sure this is available in the cities, but I think it's worth looking around. The econo lodge here has family passes to their pool for 40$ for 15 visits. We go fairly often in the winter months.

Oh, and obviously this is for when LO's older, but home depot has a project day for kids that's free.

Story time at barnes and nobles.

• Our week is normally like this - 

Mon - Story time at a local Lib 

Tue - outdoor concert (we do B&N story time in the winter months)

Wed - Story time at a local Lib 

Thur -  outdoor concert (we do B&N story time in the winter months)

Fri - "Free day" (we would go to the zoo, beach,  pool, run around crazy)

When he was younger we did Muskgarden, we really loved that & will go back in the winter months but summer is just crazy & I enjoy being able to pick different things every week (as all the things above are free) 

• imageAlishaMay:

We just made the decision tonight for me to be a SAHM - Thank you WIC!  Once the girls are STTN I may work weekends to bring in a little extra $$, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

So, stay at home mommies fill me in: What are some fun, free, or low cost things to do with little ones, my girls are only 2 months now, but I'm looking for ideas for later too?  How do you stay sane?  What $$ saving tips to you have?  Any other advice you can share? 

TIA!

I don't understand that.

Anyways! I only work P/T so I am home all but 2 days / week. We go to the splash pool and the zoo and there are puppet shows on Wed that we go to! It is a lot of fun!

someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

• imageAlishaMay:

TIA!

I don't understand that.

Anyways! I only work P/T so I am home all but 2 days / week. We go to the splash pool and the zoo and there are puppet shows on Wed that we go to! It is a lot of fun!

someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

• imagehaleymay18:
    imageAlishaMay:

TIA!

I don't understand that.

Either do I.

I will be honest that I didn't reply at first because for someone like me (that desperately wants to SAH, but can't because I have to do the responsible thing and work to make ends meet for the family I created) that bolded part felt like a slap in the face.

Regardless, good luck staying at home! You got some great ideas, but I also want to suggest getting memberships to places. MN zoo, childrens museum, under water adventures, etc. They are all well worth it if you use them. Also, once they are mobile, I strongly recommend you check out eagles nest in new brighton.

Above all, I agree with others that just doing anything that gets you out of the house will be good for all of you :)

edited because my formatting didn't stick and I had one big run-on paragraph

• imagehaleymay18:
    imageAlishaMay:

TIA!

I don't understand that.

I don't either. 

Anyway, in the summer we go to parks & beaches. In the winter we go to Adventure Park (in ham lake) once a week, Toddler Tuesday at MOA, mall play areas. We also go to the gym 4-5 mornings a week.

DD will be going to preschool 2 days a week so I'm looking into some classes DS and I can do together while she's at school. 

imageimage

9/24/2011 Plymouth Firefighters 5k: 47:13
    11/12/2011 Diva Dash 5k: 45:45
    5/5/2012 STEM school 5k TBD Coming up in 2012:
    6/10/2012 Walk to Remember SIDS foundation 5k
    (in memory of a sweet baby boy)
    11/10/2012 Diva Dash 5k
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"