Military Families

at a total loss of words...

my friend posted on FB about her husband signing up for college.  she said he said he had to agree to be in a draft if there was one.  sign papers and everything.  she is upset about it.  why?  what is so wrong with serving our counrty?  maybe ive been doing it for so long it doesnt seem wrong to me.  i guess im also a little offended.  we as military members, wives, daughters, sons, ect. fight every day for this country and for someone to say hell no i wont go help if need be, then why are we doing this?  i realize that its not for everyone, but they cant help if the this country ends up in an even worse condition?

thanks for listening.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: at a total loss of words...

• I thought it was a requirement for every male US citizen (at either age 17 or 18) to fill out the paperwork incase of a draft... i forget what its called, but I remember my high school boyfriend filling it out. Ring a bell to anyone else or no??

To someone who is NOT a military spouse the idea of it can be very scary. That same high school boyfriend considered enlisting and I hated the idea! Of course, now I am married to a sailor :) And couldn't be more proud of my man! But I can definitely see why someone could be upset about that... not that he HAS to fill out the paperwork, but just thinking of the idea of being away from your partner, and of course anticipatory grief. Its a lot to wrap your head around! 

• I believe it is the Selective Service System. It applies to males between the ages of 18 and 25. But it is only in the case of a draft and even then, the selection is random.
  • Loading the player...
  • It used to be that one could go to jail or be fined for not doing this. Now, you just "may not get a job".

ETA: IT is "Selective Service".  In TX you have to do it before you can renew your liscense after the age of 18. (Only if you are a guy)

• It is a big difference joining voluntarily and being forced into it.  I can see how many people would be upset at even the thought of it.  I don't think anyone should be looked down upon or whatever for knowing the military is not for them.  

• imagejamie.renee:

It is a big difference joining voluntarily and being forced into it.  I can see how many people would be upset at even the thought of it.  I don't think anyone should be looked down upon or whatever for knowing the military is not for them.  

Yes  This.

I think many people know it's not for them and don't join or marry into it.  It's not necessarily a lack of support, its just not for them.  There are certain jobs I wouldn't want DH doing because I don't feel comfortable with them.  And as PP said, there is a big difference between joining voluntarily and being forced into it.  

• imageRoseTor:
    imagejamie.renee:

It is a big difference joining voluntarily and being forced into it.  I can see how many people would be upset at even the thought of it.  I don't think anyone should be looked down upon or whatever for knowing the military is not for them.  

Yes  This.

I think many people know it's not for them and don't join or marry into it.  It's not necessarily a lack of support, its just not for them.  There are certain jobs I wouldn't want DH doing because I don't feel comfortable with them.  And as PP said, there is a big difference between joining voluntarily and being forced into it.  

Well it wouldn't be a draft if it were voluntary.  And the draft would only be called if there were a situation where there were not enough volunteers to handle the need, which considering how long it took DH to get into the Navy, this isn't an issue at the moment.   My dad was drafted and he served his country when he was asked.  It's part of being a citizen, just like paying taxes. 

Also I thought this was pretty standard when males turn 18.  I know my brother had to fill it out and so did DH.  

• imagesophiab1:
    imageRoseTor:
    imagejamie.renee:

Yes  This.

Well it wouldn't be a draft if it were voluntary.  And the draft would only be called if there were a situation where there were not enough volunteers to handle the need, which considering how long it took DH to get into the Navy, this isn't an issue at the moment.   My dad was drafted and he served his country when he was asked.  It's part of being a citizen, just like paying taxes. 

Also I thought this was pretty standard when males turn 18.  I know my brother had to fill it out and so did DH.  

I understand that and not saying they shouldn't sign the paper or do their duty if called upon.  But  when a person is looking over something like that to sign I think it is okay if they are terrified or whatever.  Not everyone would "happily" want to be in the military but if it came to a draft then there is nothing you can do of course.  I don't think that just because our husbands serve we need to be offended if someone doesn't want to join or be happy about a possible draft.  The OP didn't say that they would refuse to do their part if there was a draft.  I am sure if there was ever another draft and people were called up it would be life hanging and a lot of wives and families would be upset about it.

• 1momma1momma member
    There is actually a woman on the boards who says if her husband were ever called to the draft, they would move out of the country. She tops my crappy American list.
  • image1momma:
    There is actually a woman on the boards who says if her husband were ever called to the draft, they would move out of the country. She tops my crappy American list.

I totally agree with you, but at the same time, I wouldn't want to have to rely on a person like that to cover me in combat.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"