Success after IF
Options

taking baby to the hair salon?

My hair is DYING for highlights.   My roots are so long, and aside from it being rather hilarious looking... I just don't feel good about the way I look.  

When pregnant, my colorist said it would be fine for me to bring the baby into the hair salon with me... especially while she is little and sleeping a lot.   Is that doable?    I was thinking I could try to get the appointment in the morning when Anna usually has a nice long nap, but if she gets hungry, I haven't quite figured out how to breastfeed in public yet.    But it should work to put some frozen milk in a insulated bag and, if necessary, thaw there at the salon under hot water and bottle feed her.    The appointments usually take 2-2.5 hours, so she could very well get hungry.

If she gets fussy in her stroller, she can easily be in my arms either while I'm in the chair or when the color is marinating, so long as I don't get any dye on her.   Right?   Or should I be concerned about the fumes?    Would you do it?

Brought to you by IVF, ICSI, limited fert, and oocyte cryopreservation.
Because we're fancy like that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: taking baby to the hair salon?

• Options

I had hands down the easiest infant I have ever met, and I still wouldn't have brought him for such a long appt.  When we went to church and sunday school he would sleep for 4-5 hours straight.  But going to an appt where you have to get your hair done in certain allotments of time is just too risky. 

Especially because you are paying them and they have paying clients coming in after you etc.

I would do it for a haircut, but not for that long.

Sorry!

Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • Options

My salon will not allow young children back where the stations are.  It's a safety risk.  So in my case, I couldn't take one of my LOs.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Like the PP, I had the easiest baby ever, but no way would I have every taken her for such a long appointment.

What would you do if baby starts crying while you are getting your hair washed out, for example?  Of if you are mid coloring and baby has a meltdown?  You can't just run out the door.

I also think that many people go to the salon to get their hair done and enjoy the break, and they don't want to deal with someone else's baby.  Some places just aren't baby places in my mind, like fancy restaurants, salons, spas, etc.

Time is money, and if you have to take a break to deal with a bottle, it can delay your stylist, and future clients.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

that's your time for yourself. Leave baby with family/sitter and enjoy the peace and quite for a while.

I would not have a baby that young around all the fumes, but that's just me.

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence
  • Options
    I'm a colorist and unless she's my last client I panic when a client brings in a baby. I love to see them but I know it's going to put me way behind schedule. I also worry about dropping color on the baby, most moms don't want to cover them. If you do bring him/her definitely call ahead and make sure the salon dosent have any keratin treatments aka Brazilian straightenings going on. The fumes from that can be very irritating.
    1-20-09 BFP third month of Follistim IUI 02-19-09 MC 06-24-09 MC July IUI Follistim Ganirelix Ovidrel Crinone=BFN Aug. IUI Follistim Ganirelix ovidrel Crinone=BFP= scared sh**less 10-12-09 MC = 1 ectopic 1 perfect Dec. IUI Gonal-F Ganirelix Ovidrel Crinone Lovenox 01-02-10 BFP=scared sh**less again 01-06-10 CP SAIF ALWAYS WELCOME : ) March 2010 - IVF in progress converted to IUI 03-30-10 BFN April 2010 - IVF - BFFN June 2010 - IVF - BFFN July IUI BFP! March 26 2011 Gracie is here! imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

all good feedback... of course, in my "me and my baby" state, I didn't even think of the impact on other customers (i.e. they are there to relax).   

i think i will wait to get it done until someone else can stay at home with her.  thanks!!!

Brought to you by IVF, ICSI, limited fert, and oocyte cryopreservation.
    Because we're fancy like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"