Stay at Home Moms
Options

My parents keep nagging me about getting a job

They always say, I need a job and keep bugging me about. I am not sure how to handle this situation.  I love SAH with my daughter and so think of people not realizing it is a full time job and more.

Re: My parents keep nagging me about getting a job

• Options

unless you are financially dependent on your parents- tell them to mind their own business and ignore their nagging.

plain and simple.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Why would you need a job?  Being a SAHM is a valid life choice and they need to mind their own business, unless, like Stacy said, you rely on them for money.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I went through a similar situation, although DH and I have never relied on anyone for money my mom thought I was wasting my college degree.  After several times of her asking me about working I had to tell her, "Look, this is a choice that me and my husband made and I'm completely happy with it.  I'll always have my degree to fall back on when I am ready to go back to work".  I think setting some boundaries and talking to them about where you are coming from will help.  Unless, like PP have said, if you are dependent on them for money.  But being a SAHM is a 24/7 job and a very valid one, maybe you should mention that to them. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If someone told me that I would tell them to MTOB.  Being a full-time wife, mom, and homemaker is a job even though I look at it as much more than a job as a job is something you leave each day...I never stop being a wife, mom, and homemaker.  The perks aren't financial but they are greater than any monetary amount.  I don't understand why anyone, especially grandparents, wouldn't want precious children to be with mommy all day if that is what she wants and is financially doable. 
  • Options
    Are you living with them/financially dependent on them?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    Did they pay for your college and feel like you are wasting your degree or something?  It's not really their business. 
  • Options

My parents mention the same thing about me being a SAHW. They too feel that I am "wasting" my degree though I attended college on total academic scholarship.

My Mom's favorite is, "So you got all that education just to fold laundry".

That being said, you might want to ask why they keep repeating it. Also as PP said, staying home is a valid choice as long as you are not dependent on them.

• Options
    Not to play devil's advocate but I understand why your parents say that. It's probably what pp said, they feel like they spent all that hard-earned money on your education and in they're eyes you've wasted it since you're not working. On the other hand, it's your life and it was their choice to give you an education. You chose to SAH, so they should respect that decision. And I agree, raising a child is way more than a full-time job. I've been working all my life and have been home with LO for only 2 months and I feel that working in an office was a lot easier than taking care of my baby. You can't "go home" and relax with a baby, it's a 24/7 commitment.
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • Options
    I hope that I'm not really intruding here since I'm a SAHW that will soon be a SAHM but if my mom were to say the same thing to me (she would be the only one with the gumption since my MIL still stays at home most days and has no children whereas my mom is a full time teacher) I would just say that I am doing what is best for her granddaughter right now and I may address the issue of going back to work when her grandchildren are in school and see what is right then.  But I think a lot of it is dependent on why they are saying that. Cause I know my mom bugs me about it because she is concerned that DH will never finish his degree and that we will be living in apartments and with very little money for the rest of our lives. But yeah just try to find out why they feel that way and then address your reasons with theirs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have the same problem, but its not my parents is my MIL and actually my Dh's entire family, including his aunt and brother and so on....cant afford daycare and they think I can just get a job! Oh and DS is into his clingy stage and my mil told my mom its b/c I dont work and I have to do something about this soon!  feel your pain
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"