TTC after 35
Options

In 89 mom was pregnant at age 35 and doc had concerns.

Is pregnancy after 35 still considered "risky"?  Is it harder to conceive? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: In 89 mom was pregnant at age 35 and doc had concerns.

• Options

My mom's mom had her last child at 37 in 1954.

My dad's mom had her last child at 40 in 1967.  

There are still risks but they are small, Down Syndrome for example, we have a higher risks of having a chlid with DS but it's not a huge difference from that of a 25 year old.

As far as how hard it is to conceive some would argue that yes it is harder. However, I think if I were 28 I'd still have had difficulties TTC because my cycles were more wacky than they are now.   It may have not taken me 3 years 10 years ago but it would not have been an easy journey and I would have probably still had to seek the help of an RE.

• Options
    I don't think they are considered high risk.  But, they are considered AMA, for whatever that's worth.  It might mean your OB suggests more testing for you, as the chance of certain chromosomal disorders definitely increases after age 30.  But, some might be ruled out by other tests that are routinely performed for moms of all ages.  There's no reason a 35+ y/o woman can't be as healthy or healtier than a younger woman is she takes good care of herself.  TTC may or may not be harder, really depends on the woman.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    steverstever member

Ditto PPs that over 35 is AMA, but not necessarily high risk.

I was 35 when I had DS and they insisted on a NT Scan, but didn't push an amnio once the numbers came back ok. And my B/P, Glucose and all the other stuff that can cause a pregnancy to be high risk were good throughout my pregnancy. 

Also, my grandmother was 40 when she had my dad and 46 when she had my uncle. They were both born at home and I don't think she ever got any pre-natal care. 

Not that I'd trade places with her, but I'm just saying getting pregnant at 35/40+ is more than possible and that sustaining a healthy pregnancy is also possible. 

• Options
    OscarQOscarQ member

For back in the day my grandmom's were seriously AMA when they had their youngest.  Maternal GM was 43 when she had her last (eighth) baby and Paternal GM was 50 when she had her last (fifteenth) baby.

So AMA - ha!

And yeah, statistically there are more complications but everything gets more complicated healthwise as you age.  Those eggs have been sitting in there since the day "you" were concieved.  Kind of blows the mind.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"