Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

tipping straw cups

I'm working on getting my girls to use straw cups (they're fine with water but not milk yet). I notice they always tip the cups to drink. Do most kids do this? Is there a way to train them to drink properly thru straws? Thanks

Re: tipping straw cups

• DD does.  I have to show her to keep it down and suck. 
  • DD did do that a lot but eventually she learned that she did not have to tip the cup to drink. I believe most kids do at first because that is what they did with a bottle and sippy cup. I would just keep telling LO not to tip it or try with a juice box
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers  

• Loading the player...
  • We ended up having the opposite problem in our house. She drank really well out of a straw, but daycare wanted her on a regular one so she would be on the same page w/ the rest of the kids in class.  That was a royal battle.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD did the same thing.  The cup would be 3/4 full, she'd tip it back, the straw wouldn't reach the liquid and she'd ask for more milk/water.  I just had to teach her to keep the cup down and not tip it up.  It was sort of funny though, because at first she'd lean her head way down to drink out of the straw.  She finally caught on.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"