Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Annoying Grandparent Names

We spent the holiday weekend with both my dad/stepmom's family and DH's family.  It was a weird mix.

Somewhere in there MIL decides that it's too confusing for DD to call everyone Grandma/Grandpa FirstName.  She wants another name and starts calling herself "YaYa", getting DD to do it too.

I find this name so annoying.  She totally picked it b/c it's what they call the Grandma in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", not that there's any greek in either family.  DH and I didn't use any other names besides Grandma/Grandpa LastName growing up and we know who's who.

BFP 2/14/08, DD1 born 10/11/08 (natural); BFP 5/16/10, DD2 born 01/12/11 (c/s, breech)
TTC #3: BFP 4/27/12, Ectopic 5/16/12 Expectant Management, 8/15/12 Cleared to TTC
BFP 9/25/12 EDD 6/6/13, Shooting 3-for-3 from the line: It's a Girl
PgAL/PAL Welcome
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Annoying Grandparent Names

• Options
    My mother calls herself "Grammy".  I'd take YaYa over Grammy. 
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

My MIL is "mamaw" but she insists that every shirt that says "mama" is about her.  Sorry lady, but I'm mama. 

It's easy for us to keep the grandparents separate because DH's family is southern, so all of the grandparents on his side are Mamaw/Papaw Last Name.  My family is Grammy/Pappy First Name.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Right now, we just call grandparents: Gramma last initial and Grandpa last initial.  I was the oldest kid in my family and once I got to talking, I created my own names for each of my grandparents.  I just figured that is what kids do? Although my cousins call all of their grandparents Grandma last name, Grandpa last name.

• Options
    Ha my mom made such a big deal about what Casey was going to call her, even before I had her.  She didn't want to be grandma, but we couldn't think of anything so she's grandma.  But yeah, yaya  is a bit strange to just pick out of thin air!
  • Options
    My mom insists on Yaya as well. And my step dad as Papa. I find it especially funny, since my mom is only 48 and my step dad is 43. There is no greek in the family or anything. But I let her say what ever she wants. I still refer to her as Grandma and my step dad as Grandpa.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have the opposite problem. MIL refuses to be grandma first or last name. She only wants to be grandma. Well, that'd be fine if you were the only grandma. We have to distinguish between you, my mom and my grandma. So get over yourself and be grandma last name and be happy with it. At least we aren't callin you nana/mamaw/crazy white haired lady.
    I will kick cancer's ass Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Dx Breast Cancer 4/2012 Invasive ductal carcinoma triple negative Currently on Taxol, start A & C in August
  • Options

I honestly don't understand the constant fuss about grandparent names - both from grandparents demanding special names and parents getting upset by the nanes grandparents want.  We referred to my parents as Grandma Theresa and Grandpa and my son has turned it into T and PopPop.  My MIL wanted to be Cilla (her name is Priscilla) and DS started calling her Cil.  I am sure they will evolve as his language gets better.  I would just let her call her yaya for now.  It will probably change and if it doesn't, is it that big of a deal?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imagebulldog_mama23:

Right now, we just call grandparents: Gramma last initial and Grandpa last initial.  I was the oldest kid in my family and once I got to talking, I created my own names for each of my grandparents.  I just figured that is what kids do? Although my cousins call all of their grandparents Grandma last name, Grandpa last name.

So are DH and I.  I thought the same thing.  So far Grandpa is Poppa and Grandma is Bama.  I'm fine with those.  DD uses them for all 6 grandparents.  MIL just wants to be different.  She has this drive to be the "favorite". Bleh.

BFP 2/14/08, DD1 born 10/11/08 (natural); BFP 5/16/10, DD2 born 01/12/11 (c/s, breech)
    TTC #3: BFP 4/27/12, Ectopic 5/16/12 Expectant Management, 8/15/12 Cleared to TTC
    BFP 9/25/12 EDD 6/6/13, Shooting 3-for-3 from the line: It's a Girl
    PgAL/PAL Welcome
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

MIL demanded that DD call FIL 'tata' which is ridiculously close to 'dada.'  When DD learned to say dada, MIL would say that she was calling out to FIL and not to her own father.  It made my FI feel bad and made me so annoyed.  Now she says papa for FI.

• Options
    LOL I was going to comment the YaYa is Greek...my mom is Noni (it's Italian) but my dad is Poppy... it suits him. MIL is Teta (Arabic for Grandma)... but then they are Italian and Arabic respectively.
  • Options
    My mom doesn't want to be called grandma either and calls herself the french version, Grandmere.  Umm...we are not french! I keep telling her the kids are going to come up with their own names and call you what they want!
  • Options

All of DS's grandparents and great-grandparents have different names:  Grandma & Grandpa (MIL and SFIL), Grandmother & Granddaddy (my grandparents who raised me), Poppa (FIL), Bubbie (GMIL who is Jewish), Abuela & Abuelo (DH's grandparents who are Cuban). 

I like it because it doesn't get confusing - but you're totally justified in being annoyed if you don't like it.  If it really bothers you, ask her to stop calling herself that, and explain why - but your kids are going to call her whatever they want to call her, no matter what you or she wants them to do.

• Options
    My parents are Grandma/Grandpa Last Name.  My FIL is "Papa" and MIL is "Grammy".  None of those bother me though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My MIL currently goes by Grandmom but wants DD to come up with something on her own, but really, how is THAT going to happen?  So we just call her Grandmom and I'm sure that's what'll catch on.  My parents are Mommom/Poppop.
  • Options

my mother agonized over what the girls were going to call her - she settled on gramme...my dad doesn't care so he's grampy and my MIL (italian) is Noni and FIL is Papa (he also agonized over his name b/c he needed to be different)

whats funny is the 2 grandparents who are usually the most laid back put a ton of effort into their grandparent names...eh...oh well...the girls will call 'em whatever they want to as they get older...

• Options

I got a good one.

SMIL wants Ds to call her "Muvie" and we have no idea where it came from but there is now way I am calling her Muvie. Oh and Sil wants Ds to call her Ta ta which to me sounds like another name for Boobies.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

What is it with people wanting to be called such obnoxious names? DH's dad and stepmother keep referring to themselves as Mummum and Puppup (that's what it sounds like anyway). I despise it, it sounds ridiculous. I just refer to them as Grandpa and Grandma First Name. 

My mother had originally wanted to be called Nana. I told her I wouldn't allow it, it reminded me of the dog from Peter Pan. MIL wanted to be Mimi because everything was about her (me-me). We shot that down too.

Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My parents are Mommom and Poppi. DH's parents are Granny and Papa (papaw).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"