Success after IF
Options

Clicky Poll: Did u change your name when you got married?

I was looking at the post from last night about baby last name and saw quite a few peole didn't change their name. So did you do it?

[Poll]
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Clicky Poll: Did u change your name when you got married?

• Options

Where I'm from, it is very uncommon to not change your name.

We are naming both of our boys after each of our mothers' maiden names, though!

DX: PCOS * Success with IVF

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    For those of you who are my Facebook friend and know my last name, I thought about hyphenating...but then my name would just sound like a resort!!  lol!!  So...after debating about keeping my maiden name as a middle name...I ended up just ditching it.  I thought I would have been more sad since there aren't many people with my maiden name...but it ended up not being a big deal!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I kept my maiden name b/c my daughter has a different last name than either of us (her dad's last name) and I didn't want her to be left out and the only one with something other than DH's name.  Also, this sounds horrible but, DH has a big long german last name that people constantly misspell and mispronounce and I don't particularly like it. 

I don't 'go by' DH's last name in day to day life but it doesn't offend me if people I don't know call by his name by mistake.  It does however offend me when people who KNOW I kept my last name insist on addressing me by his and send mail to me as Mrs. Ben Lastname.  Super annoying.

Hannah

• Options
    Although I wanted to change my last name to DH's, he insisted I keep mine, and I'm glad I did.  The kids have his last name, though.  Never thought of having them take mine.  I love his last name.  It's long and Swedish, but it's really uncommon and cool-sounding.
  • Options
    I still have my maiden name, but DS has DH's last name with no hyphenation.  If it ever bothered DH that I didn't share his last name, I would change it- but it hasn't.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I kept my name and just tacked my husband's onto the back of my already too long name and didn't hyphenate.  My husband's last name is also a first name and so I didn't want people calling me Terry all the time.  Our children just have his last name.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    I took his last name once we started trying to have DS.
    Unexplained. IVF#2 worked! Beta at 10dp6dt = 154, Beta at 13dp6dt = 603 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't change it at the time and 5 years later still have not, but I do plan to.  The first 4 years I didn't because we were both employed at sea and unable to get all the necessary paperwork/notary etc and also had to have passport in our possesion at all times.  Then, got pg and had other priorities.  Then came DS and again, other priorities!  I will do it though, eventually!
  • Options

I changed mine, but really more just tacked his onto the end of mine.

I'd always thought I'd hyphenate, but if you know my last name you know that it's a relatively common name suffix. Hyphenating would have meant not only would I still have to spell my maiden name (which is not hard, but people don't believe it's that simple!) but people would probably also pronounce it as one name and not two. So I moved my maiden name into the second middle name spot. 

imageimage

• Options
    My DH and I have the same last name. So I didn't have to worry about that. I always joke around with people and tell them he took my last name.
  • Options

Not a special snowflake, just a comment on why I changed my name.

My parents were never married and were together for just about five years. I was given my mom's maiden name and was always glad of it, but I strongly felt that when I started my own family I wanted to be traditional. I wanted to be married and I wanted us all to have the same last name.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Ok so DH and I eloped in early 07 but no one knew we did...not even now! So I didn't change my last name during because no one in our family knew we were married. We had many reasons why we did not want to tell anyone we got married (one being his family is very anti marriage now because his father has been married 5 times all failed and mother 4 times all failed) and his father wanted me to sign a prenup if we got married and DH did not feel that was right! Plus my family wasn't crazy about me marrying into his family! So we were married in April of 07 and the twins were born in November of 08 and everyone thought we were unmarried minus two friends who were our witnesses! So everyone bugged us to get married since we had kids together so we "got married" infront of everyone in March of 09 (ha ha we already were married for 2 years) and even the pastor knew we were married but he didn't say anything.

Than everyone bugged me to change my last name so i had the same last name as the twins and I didn't right away because honestly my married name is so common (it is one of the top 10 most popular last names) and I liked having my very very uncommon italian last name!  Of course when I annouced i was pregnant again they bugged me again to change my last name. So after 2 and half years of marriage i changed my last name to DH only so i would share the same name as my kids.

I should said DH was willing to have the kids have my last name or do the two last name thing!

• Options

imageInLove24:
    My DH and I have the same last name. So I didn't have to worry about that. I always joke around with people and tell them he took my last name.

and it is a great last name...I think this is so cool, by the way.  I know I have told you before, but that is the best thing!!!

• Options

Yes, I'm a special snowflake, too.  

I also married someone with the same last name.    :-)     We actually met when we were placed in groups by alphebetical order...

Brought to you by IVF, ICSI, limited fert, and oocyte cryopreservation.
    Because we're fancy like that.

• Options

I couldnt wait to get married and change my name, I never liked my maiden name- and I LOVE my married name. My sister kept our maiden name and did the hyphen thing- I can understand for her- she's a doctor and it would be hard for her, her patients know her by her maiden name and she didnt want to confuse people. But I also make fun of her that she sounds like a law firm because she has so many last names (her middle name is our moms maiden name)

Our Journey from two to three! 3 IUI's, 2 IVF's, decided to move to foster/adopt. 12/24/2009 Baby C born, 2/1/2010 placed with us, 5/17/2011 Adoption final- we are finally a forever family! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    epphdepphd member

imageejgballerina:
    I still have my maiden name, but DS has DH's last name with no hyphenation.  If it ever bothered DH that I didn't share his last name, I would change it- but it hasn't.

Ditto - except if it bugged DH, he'd have to get over it :)

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • Options

That was my post last night :)  I struggled with whether or not to change my name when I got married.  I went back and forth, but ultimately decided to keep my name because I love it.  I like my husband's last name, too.  But it is a Polish last name and I am 90% Irish.  It just didn't sound right or feel right.  A huge part of me wanted to be the 'traditional' family where we all had the same last name, but another part of me realizes that this is almost archaic and the feminist side of me had a hard time with the idea of changing my name.  I'm all for choice- but I personally think it should be a choice on both the husband and the wife's part.  I would love it if it were as common for men to change their name as it is for women. 

Oh- and I don't mind if people call me Mrs. Hislastname when they don't know our circumstances, but when certain people (cough cough MIL cough) insist on addressing things to me this way, even when she knows I kept my name, and even when she has changed back to her maiden name (though she is still married to my husband's father)... THAT bugs me.  

TTC with unexplained IF since 8/2007 6 losses, one beautiful perfect boy in our arms Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I wouldn't call myself traditional, but I was excited to take my husband's last name.  My maiden name was Jones, so it was easy to drop it since it's so common.  Also, by taking DH's last name, I moved to the front of the alphabet!  Stick out tongue
  • Options
    AlikiAliki member

imageInLove24:

Wait, so was it like the Johnson-Johnson wedding?! Cool!

TTC #1 since 2007. Dx: Unexplained infertility. 4 IUIs in 2008 = BFN. IVF #1 07/09. DD #1 born April 2010 (40w5d).
    TTC #2 since 2011. Dx: Endometriosis and hypothyroidism. 2 FETs in 2012, BFP 6/12 but m/c @ 7 weeks. IVF #2 06/13. DD #2  born March 2014 (40w1d).
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I took DH's last name but changed my middle name to my maiden name.  My mom did this also.  Also, DS's middle name is my maiden name.
  • Options

I saw no reason to change my name.  To me it's an antiquated tradition.

Childhood cancer (DH) + chemo + radiation = 0 sperm.
    LO #1 - 1 unmedicated/self-monitored IUI w/ donor sperm.
    LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
    Life is beautiful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageepphd:

imageejgballerina:

Ditto - except if it bugged DH, he'd have to get over it :)

ha!  pretty much how i feel.

Childhood cancer (DH) + chemo + radiation = 0 sperm.
    LO #1 - 1 unmedicated/self-monitored IUI w/ donor sperm.
    LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
    Life is beautiful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"