Military Families

Army Reserve DEERS

My husband is in the Army Reserve (Orlando), and we want to sign the family up for DEERS because my company insurance will become ineffective before our baby is born. What kind of coverage do you get? Any information would be helpful. He tried calling his CO, but they have not called us back. We also need to start signing up for birthing classes, does FRG offer birthing classes or any maternity classes for couples. I also know there are two types of Tri-care, Tri-care prime and Tri-care select. Which one serves civilians? thanks :)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Army Reserve DEERS

• Tri-Care Reserve Select covers Army Reserve. You can check it out at www.tricare.mil.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DH is in the Reserves also (Tampa) and from my understanding, Tricare only kicks in...for him...when he's drilling. Unless of course you want to pay for Tricare out of pocket for the whole family? But it's not like they make a ton of money when drilling Indifferent Thankfully, our insurance is under my job Smile I could be wrong but this is how it was explained to me.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagedobbslv:
    My DH is in the Reserves also (Tampa) and from my understanding, Tricare only kicks in...for him...when he's drilling. Unless of course you want to pay for Tricare out of pocket for the whole family? But it's not like they make a ton of money when drilling Indifferent Thankfully, our insurance is under my job Smile I could be wrong but this is how it was explained to me.

Not exactly.

All active Reservists, with exceptions (like us), are eligible for Tricare Reserve Select.  You do have to pay a monthly premium, but it's relatively small, especial;y when compared to private insurance.  Check out the link previously provided.

We're not eligible because I am eligible for federal employee health benefits.

• we had TRS and paid $180/month for our family. I think it's gone up to $200/month now. It was the same exact coverage as tricare standard. I didn't pay a single cent for all my OB visits during pregnancy or for the hospital stay/delivery. 
    Miscarriage/D&E 10w6d 10/3/14 (baby's heart stopped beating)

Ectopic Pregnancy discovered @ 10 weeks 5/6/14 (Lost right tube and ovary)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Miscarriage @ 9 weeks 11/9/08

• To add, no, most FRG's do not offer maternity or birthing classes.  That's not what they are for.  Most doctors or hospitals will offer those classes.  Every now and then, you will find a base that offers them through MWR  or the clinic.
  • Yeah that is about what we have heard, about 200 dollars for the entire family. I'm glad to hear that the coverage is the same, because the coverage for pregnancy and delivery is awesome! Thanks. Now we just need to figure out how to sign up. DO you know if there is a grace period after signing up?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have reserve select and for a family it was significantly cheaper with better coverage than through either of our jobs. The coverage is great, the best part being that the deductible and max out of packet are low.
    imageimage
  • imagesquireremillard:
    Yeah that is about what we have heard, about 200 dollars for the entire family. I'm glad to hear that the coverage is the same, because the coverage for pregnancy and delivery is awesome! Thanks. Now we just need to figure out how to sign up. DO you know if there is a grace period after signing up?

Ours was immediate and backdated to the day he joined the reserves (which he just transferred from active duty so there was never a lapse in our coverage). I'm not sure if it's the same when you initially enroll in deers. When we first enrolled in deers back when DH was active duty I seem to remember having to wait until the 1st of the next month for it to take effect. So basically I'm just not 100% sure. I'm sure you could call and ask either the tricare office or call military one source. 

Miscarriage/D&E 10w6d 10/3/14 (baby's heart stopped beating)

Ectopic Pregnancy discovered @ 10 weeks 5/6/14 (Lost right tube and ovary)

Miscarriage @ 9 weeks 11/9/08

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"