Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

TTC - 5 days late should i test?

My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 4 months now so i have been tracking my periods since january. Up until last month my periods were consistently 30 days long, starting my period around the 23rd or 24th depending on the month length. 

Last month I was due to get my period on the 24th, but it didn?t come until the 29th (5 days late) and it was very heavy. I also took a pregnancy test which came out negative.

This month I calculated that I would receive my period around the 28th, 30 days into the cycle, but I still haven?t gotten it which makes me 5 days late today. I haven?t taken a pregnancy test, but I don?t have any breast tenderness and haven?t had any cramping or other pregnancy symptoms. 

What could be causing my body to be so irregular all of a sudden? Should I see a doctor?

Re: TTC - 5 days late should i test?

• Options
    What do you use to "calculate"?  PLEASE don't tell me it is a calendar
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You should test.  If it is positive, post on first tri. GL.
    TTC since August 2009
    June/July 2011 - IVF #1 - Transfer cancelled due to OHSS
    23 perfect embryos. All 23 made it to freezing!
    September/October - FET #1 - October 12th - 2 Grade A embies
    October 20th - BFP??! EDD - July 1, 2012
    Beta #1 = 154, Beta #2 = 352 Beta #3 = 3,800
    U/S #2 - November 14th = 133 bpm! U/S #3 & 4 - November 30th and December 7th = 163 bpm! U/S#5 - January 30th - TEAM PINK!!!
    Baby Sweets born on her due date!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Good God no, don't call your doctor. You're probably not 'late'. You probably ovulated late. Remember you said you were "late" last month, too? Sounds like your cycles are changing. Take a pregnancy test once a week until you either get your period or get a positive test. If you get to 60 days with no period, THEN call your doctor.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    That doesn't sound very irregular.  Are you temping?  Then you'll know when you have ovulated and when to expect your period and/or when to test.  Start there first before you call a doctor. 
  • Options
    Dear The Bump, please please move Sarah's request along FASTER.
  • Options

Yes, I would test.  Though it's very possible that you ovulated late.

But it's also possible that you are pregnant.  Not everyone gets symptoms right away (or at all, if you judge from lurking on the first trimester board).

Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
  • Options

I wouldn't call your cycles "so irregular."

If you really want to know when your period is due, chart your cycles.  You can use Fertility Friend, link in most of our siggies.

Can't hurt to test, though.

Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    While you wait, I suggest reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility, buying a BBT thermometer, and signing up on Fertility Friend (click on my ticker).  I also just made a new post titled "NEWBIE INFO" you may want to read.
  • Options

image*lovemypups*:

I'm telling you, it won't make a dang difference. No one will click on it until we say, "click on it". But at least it will be easier to locate. Fingers crossed. :)

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    RicolaRicola member

imageSarahL77:
    Good God no, don't call your doctor. You're probably not 'late'. You probably ovulated late. Remember you said you were "late" last month, too? Sounds like your cycles are changing. Take a pregnancy test once a week until you either get your period or get a positive test. If you get to 60 days with no period, THEN call your doctor.

All of this.

Unfortunately you will have to wait it out. My cycles have been between 29 and 36 days so far since quitting BCP and right now I am on CD 35 with no real signs of AF or a BFP coming.

Good luck to you. 

DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

• Options

I can undertand you being anxious and testing when you think you are late, however you will not really know if you are "late" unless you know when you ovulated. 

Unfortunately, you cannot go just off of prior cycle lenghts to know when you are due for your period.  Your cycle lengh can change.

Please do not use the online ovulation calculators- they are based off of a 30 day cycle with somebody ovulating around day 14-15, you may not be in that category.

If you go more than 60 days without getting your period and no + HPT, call your doctor.

• Options
    imageSarahL77:

image*lovemypups*:

I'm telling you, it won't make a dang difference. No one will click on it until we say, "click on it". But at least it will be easier to locate. Fingers crossed. :)

I know it won't make a difference, I'm just making the point that she wouldn't have posted this if she read the newbie post! LOL.
  • Options
    Lkat17Lkat17 member
    imageWinkski15:

I can undertand you being anxious and testing when you think you are late, however you will not really know if you are "late" unless you know when you ovulated. 

Unfortunately, you cannot go just off of prior cycle lenghts to know when you are due for your period.  Your cycle lengh can change.

Please do not use the online ovulation calculators- they are based off of a 30 day cycle with somebody ovulating around day 14-15, you may not be in that category.

If you go more than 60 days without getting your period and no + HPT, call your doctor.

Well said. GL, OP.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    m/c 6/10 
    missed miscarriage discovered at 11 weeks, natural miscarriage at home one week later 9/13
  • Options
    atlbatlb member
    This is not irregular, and no you should not call your doctor. The other ladies have given you great advice. Please take it to heart.
  • Options

imagebabytime2010:

Last month I was due to get my period on the 24th, but it didn?t come until the 29th (5 days late) and it was very heavy. I also took a pregnancy test which came out negative.

Why did you take a test if you started your period? Just curious....

There's no need to call your doctor. You're most likely ovulating later than you think. "Calculating" your periods isnt very effective. Definitely start charting with FF if you're serious about the timing. Someone just posted the newbie info - please read it. There's a lot of great information in there. Good luck to you!

• Options

imagebabytime2010:

This month I calculated that I would receive my period around the 28th, 30 days into the cycle, but I still haven?t gotten it which makes me 5 days late today. I haven?t taken a pregnancy test, but I don?t have any breast tenderness and haven?t had any cramping or other pregnancy symptoms.

Calculated based on what?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thanks for the words of wisdom ladies.  I am fairly new to this and everyone in my family just "got pregnant" so I am not having much luck in getting advice from them.

What I have been doing is tracking my cycle length based on the days in-between my period start dates. For months, that cycle length has been 30 days, until last month. I have been assuming that my ovulation happens 14 days into your cycle - perhaps a bit naive on my part.

I was really hoping my husband and I would get pregnant without stressing out too much and getting into the calendar/temperature tracking thing. I know that will cause me to be even more anxious about it, which i hear can cause you not to ovulate.   

Either way, my last period was on May 29th. If it was a 30 day cycle I should have started again on June 28th. It is now July 2nd.  So at this point should I take a HPT? Would I get relatively accurate results? Website sources vary, some say to wait a week after your missed period. 

• Options

imagebabytime2010:
    My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 4 months now so i have been tracking my periods since january. Up until last month my periods were consistently 30 days long, starting my period around the 23rd or 24th depending on the month length. 

If my periods were 30 days long, I'd definitely be calling a doctor. 

But, in all seriousness, charting your cycle would save you a whole lot of worry. Not only do women have to deal with PMS, cramps and blood coming out of them for days, but we're not even allowed to plan in advance for it to happen.  Just when you think you understand, boom the God of Menses changes our cycles and laughs at us.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Funny you ask. I took a test in the morning with a negative result, and the very next day I got my period. Of course that would happen right? Annoying.
  • Options
    Good question. I actually took a test in the morning with a negative result, and the very next day I got my period. Of course that would happen right? Annoying.
  • Options
    imagebabytime2010:

Thanks for the words of wisdom ladies.  I am fairly new to this and everyone in my family just "got pregnant" so I am not having much luck in getting advice from them.

What I have been doing is tracking my cycle length based on the days in-between my period start dates. For months, that cycle length has been 30 days, until last month. I have been assuming that my ovulation happens 14 days into your cycle - perhaps a bit naive on my part.

I was really hoping my husband and I would get pregnant without stressing out too much and getting into the calendar/temperature tracking thing. I know that will cause me to be even more anxious about it, which i hear can cause you not to ovulate.   

Either way, my last period was on May 29th. If it was a 30 day cycle I should have started again on June 28th. It is now July 2nd.  So at this point should I take a HPT? Would I get relatively accurate results? Website sources vary, some say to wait a week after your missed period. 

I would get a $tree test and maybe try it. It would be accurate to the fact that a) you are pregnant b) may be pregnant and not pregnant enough to show on an HPT and c) not pregnant. If you were charting (temping, which take 3 seconds of your day and could have helped you avoid this stress) you would have a better idea of which it was. 

Most women do not ovulate halfway through their cycle. Bell curve average, sure some are right in the middle, but more often than not, they are not. And if taking your temp for 3 seconds is stressful enough to not make one ovulate, that person shouldn't be having children in the first place. 

• Options

What is with the sarcastic reply pattypoundcake? Not appreciated. It isn't the 3 seconds it takes to take a temperature that I am concerned about. My husband and I are trying to let this happen without letting it consume us...and without stressing too much. Something not a lot of women are able to do successfully as soon as you start treating it like a science experiment.

But thanks to the other ladies for helping me understand a bit more about ovulation.  

Another question - have you ever had slight pinching pains in your lower pelvic area? It isn't menstrual cramps, that is totally different. I started to get these a few days ago and didn't think much of it, but since you have all been so helpful i thought i would ask. 

• Options
    atlbatlb member
    imagebabytime2010:

What is with the sarcastic reply pattypoundcake? Not appreciated. It isn't the 3 seconds it takes to take a temperature that I am concerned about. My husband and I are trying to let this happen without letting it consume us...and without stressing too much. Something not a lot of women are able to do successfully as soon as you start treating it like a science experiment.

But thanks to the other ladies for helping me understand a bit more about ovulation.  

Another question - have you ever had slight pinching pains in your lower pelvic area? It isn't menstrual cramps, that is totally different. I started to get these a few days ago and didn't think much of it, but since you have all been so helpful i thought i would ask. 

What are you doing now, OP? You are stressing. Stressing about your "late" period that probably isn't even really late. You don't seem to get it.

Also, use the quote button. It's not that difficult.

I call troll. And DD.

• Options
    imagebabytime2010:

LOL if you think that was even close to a sarcastic reply. Sorry, from now on my standard answer is just going to be "yes, you are pregnant" since that is all you want to hear anyway.

And wow, I didn't realize that charting meant you were treating your body like a science experiment. I am sure that the many religious people around the world who use NFP (charting) as their only form of birth control would beg to differ. 

• Options
    imagebabytime2010:

I dont understand why tracking any other health related thing is good, but as soon as its about TTC its a "science experiment".

• Options
    imageMuseumMaven:

I wouldn't call your cycles "so irregular."

If you really want to know when your period is due, chart your cycles.  You can use Fertility Friend, link in most of our siggies.

Can't hurt to test, though.

Thanks so much. I haven't ever heard of Fertility Friend. It looks pretty simple. I appreciate your response. 

• Options
    imageRicola:

imageSarahL77:

All of this.

Unfortunately you will have to wait it out. My cycles have been between 29 and 36 days so far since quitting BCP and right now I am on CD 35 with no real signs of AF or a BFP coming.

Good luck to you. 

Thanks for this. Good luck to you too. 

• Options
    imagebabytime2010:

In all honesty, what is having a baby if it's not a science experiment? It doesn't just happen magically. There is a very short time frame each month when pregnancy is possible. I'd rather know I was upping my chances on getting pregnant rather than asking an internet message board if I should test any old day. But that's just me. And FWIW, I'm not currently charting...but I'm also not expecting to get pregnant this month. And if I'm a few days late I will just take a test rather than make a big freaking deal if I should. They are like $10 at CVS, not worth all the stress of wondering AT ALL.

I usually get that pinching feeling you are talking about a week or so before I get my period. When I was pregnant, I didn't notice it.

Fertility Friend has some tutorials that are SO helpful. THey help you track secondary fertility signs if you don't want to start taking your temp just yet.

• Options
    This has to MUD.
    Baby #3 is on the way!! BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

The great thing about charting is that it lets you know that you have ovulated and when to expect AF. Not only that, but it can help you learn about potential issues, for example LPD or possible thyroid issues. 

Slight biology lesson:

We are generally taught that you ovulate on CD 14 and get AF 14 days later. That's not the case at all.

Typically a woman gets her period about 14 days AFTER ovulation. However, that can vary from 10-17ish days later. Ovulation can occur at any point in the cycle. Some women ovulate around CD 14 while others may ovulate around day 18, 20, 20, 25.... 

That being said, it may help you realize what could have gone on in your longer cycles. 

It may seem that your cycles are a bit off, but keep in mind that now that you are TTC, you are more in tune to your body. Sometimes you can subconsciously fabricate changes that have really been there all along. 

I really think you should take sometime to read through FF and also get Taking Charge of Your Fertility.  If you chose not to chart, that's fine, but you will learn so much about your body and how it really works.

Good Luck! 

Our IVF Miracles! Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    imagebabytime2010:

I honestly feel that I was MORE stressed out BEFORE charting my temps then I have been since charting. I have been off BCP since december, and I can't tell you how much money i waisted on HPT because I have long cycles. IF I had been charting, I would have know I wasn't even ovulating, and i wouldn't have been stressed about being pregnant when I wasn't. 

I agree with all the others, keep testing until you reach 60 days, AF shows or your get a BFP.

Diabetic, 2IF, PCOS; blessed beyond words to be called "mommy" to Drew (6/30/09) and Alynn (5/16/11).
    Parenting author for Women of Worth. Mom Blogger and photographer.

Andrew David: mixed receptive/expressive language phonological disorder, sensory processing disorder, Disruptive Behavior disorder-nos and insomnia.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    imagebabytime2010:

This deserves a Confused.

• Options
    imageHeather & Nayt:
    imagebabytime2010:

I honestly feel that I was MORE stressed out BEFORE charting my temps then I have been since charting. I have been off BCP since december, and I can't tell you how much money i waisted on HPT because I have long cycles. IF I had been charting, I would have know I wasn't even ovulating, and i wouldn't have been stressed about being pregnant when I wasn't. 

I agree with all the others, keep testing until you reach 60 days, AF shows or your get a BFP.

Good to know. Thanks! 

• Options
    imagebabytime2010:

I'm sorry, I shouldn't jump in on this, but this is offensive to me.  Charting is not treating your body like a science experiment.  Please please please don't perpetuate the myth that charting is stressful and liken it to an experiment especially when you haven't tried it before.

The stress that comes from thinking that your period is 5 days late (when it actually isn't) seems like a lot worse than popping a thermometer in your mouth.

image  image
    Carina 12.28.2010 | Aurelia 9.23.12 | Chart - Round 3
  • Options
    imagebabytime2010:

I think this is pretty offensive.  First of all, putting a thermometer in your mouth is not a science experiment.  Second of all, let me give you my RE's phone number.  Maybe you'd like to give him a call and ask him your moronic question.  While you're on the phone with him, you can let him know your thoughts about his "science experiment" methods, which he highly recommends and has had much success with.  And really, if you truly feel charting is a "science experiment", wouldn't you rather do that than be absolutely clueless about how the process works (which clearly you are)?

Yeah, I kind of think you're an asshat.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagebabytime2010:
    Funny you ask. I took a test in the morning with a negative result, and the very next day I got my period. Of course that would happen right? Annoying.

Because you're stressing about it.  When you're looking for it, it won't come.  It has happened to me countless times.  Calm down.  Take a test.  If it's negative, then it's negative...keep trying.  If it's positive, congrats...head over to the 1st tri board.  I don't know why you even had to post the question...just do it.  Go to the Dollar Tree and stock up on the $1 HPT.  Go to peeonastick.com and read up.

I also had the illusion that getting pregnant was easy.  It's not.  Some women do get pregnant right away.  And they are very blessed that they can do so.  My boss has two children...she tried twice.  Once for each child.  She has perfect 28-day cycles, and had sex on day 14.  It worked both times.   Another co-worker of mine had to try for 4 years before she had her first...the other came 3 months later. 

It's not a perfect system, and you're not "treating you body like a science experiment" by tracking your cycles and paying attention to your body.  The women here are giving you great advice...they have their charts down to an art, and it's in your best interest to lurk and stalk their FF charts. Read what they have to say.  Take all the advice you can get. 

But I can tell you this...there are women sitting in OB offices this very moment finding out that they CAN'T conceive a baby for one reason or another.  Go over to the MC/PL forum...read a few of those stories.  And I can guarantee you that any of them would GLADLY do anything it takes to conceive.  Even if it means making their bodies into "science experiments," as you call it. 

So go POAS.  Get it over with.  I do wish you luck.  

[/rant]  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"