Houston Babies
Options

LO eating less

We started giving Evan at least one bottle of expressed breastmilk when he was about 2 months old. At that time he was eating 4 oz every 2-3 hours. A few weeks ago we realized that he was still consistently hungry so we upped is bottles to 5 oz every 2-3 hours and he drank every last drop.

This past week he hasn't been finishing most of his bottles. He drinks about 3 - 3 1/2 oz and is spacing his feedings a bit. Then at a random feeding he will want 5 oz. Daycare gives us a report of all of his feedings and it is all over the board now, where it used to be a consistent 5 oz every 3 hours.

Last night he drank 3 oz at 11:00pm, woke at 1:15 and drank another 3. Then he woke at 3:15 and drank 1. Then at 7:00 he drank another 3. This is so out of character for him. He used to always finish his bottles. We limited his intake to 4 oz because of his reflux, but increased it as he got bigger.

He hasn't woken up that much in the middle of the night in a while. He usually gives us 1 6-8 hour stretch at night.

Anyone else experience this kind of change with their LO?

Dx: PCOS and short luteal phase
18 cycles (3 with our RE) - Metformin + Clomid + HCG booster did the trick!
BFP #1 6/22/09 EDD: 3/2/10 DS born: 3/8/10

TTC #2 since Dec 2011
BFP #2 7/8/12 EDD: 3/18/12 M/C @ 9w1d: 8/16/12

Re: LO eating less

• Options

I had concerns too (DD only takes 3-4 oz by bottle) and my Pedi said that 3-5 ozs per feeding is normal for BF babies. FF babies will take more (and I was comparing to what my friend's babies were taking).

Perhaps when he takes 5 ozs is during his growth spurts and when he takes 3 ozs it is normal? DD varies how much she takes too - she usually takes 4 oz but every now and then she will take just 3 or 5. Only once has she gone over 5 and she spit up most of it. So I guess I am saying I personally wouldn't be worried about it unless your Pedi says Evan isn't putting on enough weight.

• Options

Could be the beginning of the 4m sleep regression... As long as he continues to eat, I wouldn't worry a whole lot.  You should have a pedi appointment soon, so I would maybe ask then, but as long as he's eating/peeing/pooping I wouldn't be too worried. 

Samantha is a couple months ahead of your lil guy and she still fluctuates some.  We'll have weeks of 5oz bottles... then weeks of just 3.5/4oz at a feeding.  

~*~Jenn~*~
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagedarva:

Could be the beginning of the 4m sleep regression... As long as he continues to eat, I wouldn't worry a whole lot.  You should have a pedi appointment soon, so I would maybe ask then, but as long as he's eating/peeing/pooping I wouldn't be too worried. 

Samantha is a couple months ahead of your lil guy and she still fluctuates some.  We'll have weeks of 5oz bottles... then weeks of just 3.5/4oz at a feeding.  

This. We've been going through this for the past 2 weeks and it has been rough getting up every hour to every couple hours again.  Some feedings are all 5oz down to 3.5 oz.  Another thing I read this morning is milestones will also interfere with sleep regression. Maybe your lo is on the brink of something new.  Cohen is now rolling over so we maybe in the midst of multiple things.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

To help with Evan's reflux, we started giving him 1/2 breastmilk and 1/2 formula in each bottle. He has done great with this for the past month. I really hope this isn't a problem now.

We have his 4 month appointment next week, so we will see if he is gaining weight appropriately. We had him in last month for a check up on his reflux and he hadn't gained the 1 pound a month the Dr. expected, but he said he wasn't worried. We will see where he is next week.

TTC #2 since Dec 2011

• Options

Yeah, I was reading up on "wonder week" and thought this might have something to do with it, but I thought they ate more during that time. This is why understanding kids is not and exact science. 

It is nice to know that we aren't the only ones experiencing this. As a first time mom, I tend always wonder "is this normal" when he does something different.

TTC #2 since Dec 2011

• Options
    imageSigmundsGirl:

We started giving Evan at least one bottle of expressed breastmilk when he was about 2 months old. At that time he was eating 4 oz every 2-3 hours. A few weeks ago we realized that he was still consistently hungry so we upped is bottles to 5 oz every 2-3 hours and he drank every last drop.

This past week he hasn't been finishing most of his bottles. He drinks about 3 - 3 1/2 oz and is spacing his feedings a bit. Then at a random feeding he will want 5 oz. Daycare gives us a report of all of his feedings and it is all over the board now, where it used to be a consistent 5 oz every 3 hours.

Last night he drank 3 oz at 11:00pm, woke at 1:15 and drank another 3. Then he woke at 3:15 and drank 1. Then at 7:00 he drank another 3. This is so out of character for him. He used to always finish his bottles. We limited his intake to 4 oz because of his reflux, but increased it as he got bigger.

He hasn't woken up that much in the middle of the night in a while. He usually gives us 1 6-8 hour stretch at night.

Sounds to me that he's not waking up for a feeding but because you're going through a sleep regression.  So that's why he's not hungry at 1 and especially at the 3:15am feeding. I think if you would have just gave him the 11 pm and then the 6-7am bottle, he would have drank 5-6 oz at the morning bottle. 

Lisa. mommy to Emmy and Ally image
  • Options
    imageLisaK2b:
    imageSigmundsGirl:

Sounds to me that he's not waking up for a feeding but because you're going through a sleep regression.  So that's why he's not hungry at 1 and especially at the 3:15am feeding. I think if you would have just gave him the 11 pm and then the 6-7am bottle, he would have drank 5-6 oz at the morning bottle. 

That is what I told DH. If he only takes an ounce, he wasn't hungry. We are having trouble telling if he is hungry or not. His cry is about the same most of the time and he always sucks his hands, so that isn't a clue for us.

During the sleep regression, is it okay to rock them to sleep? I don't want Evan to depend on us rocking him to put him to sleep. He usually falls to sleep on his own when we put him down drowsy, but not after we changed his diaper at 1 or 3.

TTC #2 since Dec 2011

• Options
    welcome to the four month growth spurt and sleep regression stage Smile
  • Options

imagekat.in.the.hat:

So how long does this last? A few weeks? Or longer?

TTC #2 since Dec 2011

• Options
    imageSigmundsGirl:
    imageLisaK2b:
    imageSigmundsGirl:

That is what I told DH. If he only takes an ounce, he wasn't hungry. We are having trouble telling if he is hungry or not. His cry is about the same most of the time and he always sucks his hands, so that isn't a clue for us.

During the sleep regression, is it okay to rock them to sleep? I don't want Evan to depend on us rocking him to put him to sleep. He usually falls to sleep on his own when we put him down drowsy, but not after we changed his diaper at 1 or 3.

Does he take a paci, you can try giving that to him first to see if he'll fall back to sleep with it (normally they do).  We normally don't rock unless that paci doesn't seem to soothe him.  And if rocking doesn't soothe him, that's when you would feed him. 

Do you need to change his diaper at 1 and 3?  We usually keep Ally in the same diaper all night long unless it's a #2 (which is very rare that she would do at night). 

Sleep regression can last for a few days to months!  All babies are different.  Ally is 6 months now and it's not sleep regression but now separation anxiety and teething.  We're trying not to rock her at this age because it just makes it worst when we put her down and all she wants is to be with us all night long (really thinking about co sleeping soon). 

Lisa. mommy to Emmy and Ally image
  • Options

Yep, he'll take a paci, but apparently when DH got up at 1 DS wouldn't take it, and the rocking didn't help, so he gave him a bottle. Then when we woke back up at 3 I started rocking him when DH was getting the bottle ready and he fell asleep, but then woke up the second I put him in his crib.

We change DS when he cries in the middle of the night because he has very sensitive skin and had a horrible diaper rash a few weeks ago that caused him to scream in pain the second he wet his diaper. We don't want that to happen again so we change him as soon as we realize he is wet.

This will be a big learning curve for us.

Thanks for all of the advice!

TTC #2 since Dec 2011

• Options
    imageSigmundsGirl:

imagekat.in.the.hat:

Depends on the baby, crappy answer, I know.  For most, it doesn't seem to last very long.  However, if your baby is sensitive to these periods, it can last for a while.

I pimp this book out all the time, but it seriously saved my sanity.  Marion was extremely sensitive to growth spurts and milestones and while this book doesn't necessarily give you a lot of tips on how to get through it, it reassured me that it was natural and it would pass in time.

The Wonder Weeks

• Options
    imagekat.in.the.hat:
    imageSigmundsGirl:

imagekat.in.the.hat:

Depends on the baby, crappy answer, I know.  For most, it doesn't seem to last very long.  However, if your baby is sensitive to these periods, it can last for a while.

I pimp this book out all the time, but it seriously saved my sanity.  Marion was extremely sensitive to growth spurts and milestones and while this book doesn't necessarily give you a lot of tips on how to get through it, it reassured me that it was natural and it would pass in time.

The Wonder Weeks

Thanks! I'll have to check it out. DH will deal better with all of this if he understands what is going on. Otherwise he gets easily frustrated.

TTC #2 since Dec 2011

• Options
    imagekat.in.the.hat:
    imageSigmundsGirl:

imagekat.in.the.hat:

The Wonder Weeks

Thanks! I'll have to check it out. DH will deal better with all of this if he understands what is going on. Otherwise he gets easily frustrated.

TTC #2 since Dec 2011

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"