1st Trimester

Heart Palpitations?

Hi!  I'm new (greetings!!), and not even sure I'm KU yet.  I tested when I was 2/3 days late (yesterday) and it was negative (tested in the afternoon...had tons of water before...cheapest grocery store test....left it in the hot car all afternoon....going to wait until Saturday if AF doesn't come and do test again in the morning).

The thing is, the same day that AF was due (Sunday), I started having crazy heart palpitations in the evening.  Same thing Monday, Tuesday, and today.  I was doing research on palpitations (gotta love the internet age, no?) and found that palpitations are supposedly common among pregnant women.  I've been reading all the boards I can find for the last 2 weeks since I thought I might have conceived (first month trying), and have seen no mention of palpitations.

So, anyone experienced heart palpitations during pregnancy? Or am I overly hopeful?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Heart Palpitations?

• Your heart palpitations may have nothing to do with your possibility of PG. I have heart palpitations, have had them prior to being PG, and they have gotten worse since being PG. So yes, while PG can make it worse I wouldn't go as far to say that you would have them because of possibly being PG. Besides if you have yet to get a BFP then I am not sure that the PG would affect your heart.

If it continues go talk to your Dr and they should set you up with a holter monitor for 24 or 48 hrs. That is how mine was diagnosed. From there they will be able to figure out what is happening. For now, though, stop drinking caffeine and you will probably see a positive difference.

Try testing again tomorrow. Since you are 2-3 days past AF you should be able to get a BFP. I was able to use evening urine to get a positive 10dpo and that was roughly 5/6 days before AF.

ETA: PVC palpitations are normal and most people have them but just don't always know it. So try not to stress out over it too much and talk to your Dr.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • PVCs are very normal for women to have.  I get them all the time.  Mostly after drinking caffeine.  I would mention it to your Dr and see what they have to say.  I agree with PP that your hormone levels aren't high enough yet to be detected in your urine if you are pg, so it may not be pg related.  But keep testing, you're not out until AF shows!  GL!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Good point on the hormone levels....just anxious!  Probably causing the palpitations.  :)  I already don't drink caffeine, so that's not a factor, but could be just about anything I suppose. If they keep up much longer I'll have to call the doc because they are irritating. 
  • JLB24JLB24 member
    I have had once-in-a-while heart palpitations prior to be pregnant, but I have found them to be a little more often now.  I don't know how you are waiting until Sunday to go get another test!  You should go right NOW and get one! haha
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have had problems with a rapid, irregular heartbeat since I was 14. Most of the time it doesn't act up,  sometimes it acts up with symptoms you are describing, ( in which case I go about my day), and sometimes it requires me to go to the hospital for monitoring and meds. There is no "cure" for my condition, although there are some meds that can slow my heart rate when I am having a long episode. The doc has told me that pregnancy hormones, combined with increased blood volume are taxing to the heart and could result in making my condition worse for 9 months. If that's the case, I'll be going to the hospital and cardiologist more frequently for monitoring. It is possible that you have a heart issue you've never noticed before and the hormones are making it more noticeable.
  • It's pretty wild.  My heart keeps skipping beats...my DH is a med student and he took my pulse and confirmed I wasn't imagining things.  The reason I'm waiting to test is that I am having spotting and can't decide if it's my period just being really, really slow to start or if it's that whole first trimester spotting thing.  Oh well...hopefully I'll have news one way or the other soon so I can decide whether I should go to a normal doctor first or an OB first.  I had the same thing going on about 4 years ago, but was attributed to stress.  No stress right now, though, so that's why I thought it might be something else.  Sigh.  Waiting is HARD.

Also, read that it's the progesterone that causes palpitations during pregnancy, nothing to do with HCG...so would my progesterone levels be high enough this early on to cause palps?  Probably a good question for a doctor.  :)

• imageSarahSueBob:

It's pretty wild.  My heart keeps skipping beats...my DH is a med student and he took my pulse and confirmed I wasn't imagining things.  The reason I'm waiting to test is that I am having spotting and can't decide if it's my period just being really, really slow to start or if it's that whole first trimester spotting thing.  Oh well...hopefully I'll have news one way or the other soon so I can decide whether I should go to a normal doctor first or an OB first.  I had the same thing going on about 4 years ago, but was attributed to stress.  No stress right now, though, so that's why I thought it might be something else.  Sigh.  Waiting is HARD.

Also, read that it's the progesterone that causes palpitations during pregnancy, nothing to do with HCG...so would my progesterone levels be high enough this early on to cause palps?  Probably a good question for a doctor.  :)

Either way you will end up getting into your normal dr first. Your first appt is not until 8-10 wks along unless you have had previous m/c or fertility issues. If you have multiple EPT positives they don't need you to come in to confirm. So your best bet would be to go in and see your primary about your heart.

ETA: Logically, to me, if your progesterone levels would be high enough to affect your heart then you should get a BFP because your LO would be implanted and your body would be giving off the hCG hormone (hope that made sense). Your hormone levels can be off for many reasons in general. Plus, your progesterone levels also increase during the luteal phase as well. I would retest and if it is negative then wait a few days and test again. If that one is negative just wait AF out or call your Dr.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"