2nd Trimester

Any one having a TV in the nursery?

2»

Re: Any one having a TV in the nursery?

• imageklmfbp3:

imagestarlettedir:
    no. My kid won't have a TV in their room either. It's a very good chance they won't have a computer in there either.

Is that a Chinese Shar Pei?  (Dog in photo?)

He's a Pei mix =) We got him from a rescue about 3 years ago!

• imageJoannaJes:

No offense but the MSN article entitled "Even background TV may delay infants' speech" is a bunch of hooey. It quotes only one study that proceeds to say:

"To figure out the TV-language link, Christakis and his colleagues rounded up 329 2-month to 4-year-old children and their parents. The kids wore digital devices on random days each month for up to two years that recorded everything they heard or said for 12 to 16 hours. The researchers didn't determine whether the adults and kids were actively watching the television or if it was just on in the background."

That doesn't give new info one way or the other in regards to background TV. I never take MSN articles seriously, though.

The WebMD article says that the parents are watching TV, while the children are left to their own devices. The Post article mentions background chatter, but doesn't specify what the chatter is from. If we aren't supposed to have any noise in the background, that means that we can't listen to music either. I find that a little absurd.

To answer the OP, we have only one TV in the house. I don't like them in the bedroom but to each their own.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers pregnancy calendar
  • Loading the player...
  • No, we only have one tv in the house.  We don't want one in our bedroom and we will never put one in kids bedrooms.  We were raised that fighting over the tv is what being a family is all about. :)
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • We have a TV in the nursery. It landed there because we have an ET unit in her room and that's the TV that was with it. We never got much use out of it though because I seemed to only be in there in the middle of the night and I was too busy staring at the back of my eyelids and not wanting the bright light to interfere with either of our sleepy state.

I nursed her plenty in other rooms with the TV on in the background though without a second thought and I'm sure my next LO is going to be hearing it plenty. I'll probably be relying on it a lot to entertain #1 while I'm unavailable and nursing #2. We're a TV in every room kind of family though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No way.

My daughter's nursery has always been a refuge from all of the craziness in the day.  It is serene colors and is designed to be a place of relaxation and sleep.  One of my favorite things when I was nursing her was to go up there, turn out the lights, and nurse her in silence (or with soft background music).  It relaxed her and me.  I wanted to focus on my baby.  Now that I'm not nursing we still sit in the glider and read books, have a bottle, and cuddle before bed.  If we had a TV I don't think it would be the same quality interaction for either of us.

I like TV just as much as the next person but IMO there is a time and place for it.  The baby's room is NOT appropriate.

• My son who turned 5 today has always had a tv in his room, and he was just awarded at his celebrations ceremony for reading and mathematical skill of that of a 1st grader.

We did monitor what he watched and how long he did watch.

He loves his tv time, it has to be in moderation. Nothing is good in excess. So if thats where you want the tv put it there.

• i thought about a tv too but i decided to let this be the "quiet" room because we have a tv in our bedroom and family room, which will be the other places where i nurse.
  • Yep, we will have a 32 inch flat screen in there - currently it's our guest room and we have nowhere else to put it.  We just bought a armoire to hide it in and don't plan on having it on that often - I have heard from several moms that they would've liked the option of having it on while nursing/rocking baby to sleep.

I'm not an extremist - I believe in moderation with everything.  I (along with most of my generation)grew up watching plenty of tv and we all turned out ok, for the most part. 

• imageLNwalker81:
    imageJoannaJes:

No offense but the MSN article entitled "Even background TV may delay infants' speech" is a bunch of hooey. It quotes only one study that proceeds to say:

"To figure out the TV-language link, Christakis and his colleagues rounded up 329 2-month to 4-year-old children and their parents. The kids wore digital devices on random days each month for up to two years that recorded everything they heard or said for 12 to 16 hours. The researchers didn't determine whether the adults and kids were actively watching the television or if it was just on in the background."

That doesn't give new info one way or the other in regards to background TV. I never take MSN articles seriously, though.

The WebMD article says that the parents are watching TV, while the children are left to their own devices. The Post article mentions background chatter, but doesn't specify what the chatter is from. If we aren't supposed to have any noise in the background, that means that we can't listen to music either. I find that a little absurd.

To answer the OP, we have only one TV in the house. I don't like them in the bedroom but to each their own.

In response to your bolded statement. that seems like a difficult variable to control for. Perhaps this was listed under some of the weaknesses of the study itself, since they are required to list them. And frankly, how do you discern whether or not someone is "actively" watching the TV? Should they count the seconds in which someone's eyes are on the screen? And the article itself only quotes one article because it's about ONE article. It's not a literature review.

• We won't even put a TV in our bedroom because it can interfere with your sleep cycles. No WAY would I put one in LO's room. Besides--Listening to the quiet while rocking a baby to sleep is so peaceful--assuming baby isn't screaming his/her head off of course. And if s/he is, you wouldn't be able to hear the TV anyway.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker BFP 04/15/2011; M/C 04/21/2011 Sleep with Jesus sweet baby.
  • imageJoannaJes:

In response to your bolded statement. that seems like a difficult variable to control for. Perhaps this was listed under some of the weaknesses of the study itself, since they are required to list them. And frankly, how do you discern whether or not someone is "actively" watching the TV? Should they count the seconds in which someone's eyes are on the screen? And the article itself only quotes one article because it's about ONE article. It's not a literature review.

I understand that. It just doesn't really mean much when one study shows something (especially when they admit that they weren't able to determine whether it was just background). It always helps to have several studies to back up an idea. MSN is notorious for having "front page" articles that state some huge claim but they only mention one article. More learned people, such as ourselves, know to check for more sources of information, but I know that others that frequent that site, do not. It always bothers me when someone takes one study as the truth. This has partly due to my cynicism after working in academia for years because there are so many ways that data can be manipulated to mean anything that the study authors want it to. At least with multiple studies, you can hope for less bias...

The Post article did mention a closed study where the parents were instructed to have the TV on and watch, ignoring the children, while under observation. Conversely, they could control for background noise by turning on the TV and covering it up, so that the parents don't watch.

One poster had noted that they don't watch the TV but their SO does. I was just pointing out that there wasn't evidence in those articles to show that this was detrimental to the health/development of the child.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers pregnancy calendar
  • MSC03MSC03 member
    Absolutely not.
    imageimage
  • The baby's room will be what is now our office/treadmill spot, so there is a tv mounted to the wall in there.  We will probably leave it in there for now.  If I did watch it, it would be during night feedings muted with the captions on. 
  • imageJoannaJes:

image***SweetPea***:
    I can't imagine watching TV while rocking my child to sleep.  And I can't even imagine watching TV while nursing my child in the middle of the night.  TV in baby's room = bad idea. 

This. If you're bored, try singing to your baby instead. That is infinitely better for their development and well-being.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ::breathes: BHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!

image Josephine is 4.
  • qme09qme09 member
    I would never do that, but that's just me. I think TV is a completely unneccessary distraction for anyone, especially a young child. I feel like that might overstimulate baby and actually make it harder to rock him or her to sleep. But again, that's just me, and what works for your family is probably different.
  • image***SweetPea***:
    I can't imagine watching TV while rocking my child to sleep.  And I can't even imagine watching TV while nursing my child in the middle of the night.  TV in baby's room = bad idea. 

this made me laugh.   You can't even imagine it? 

• Yup. We have a flat screen in there now (it's the guest room turned nursery) and have nowhere else to put it. I'll probably watch it muted with subtitles when I'm about to go insane at 4am with a newborn.

My kid is doomed I tell ya, dooooooooomed.

• Nope. I have a TV in our nursery. LO sleeps in a cradle next to our bed in our room. When he's hungry at night, I take him into the nursery (right next to our room) to feed him & rock him back to sleep. If I don't turn the TV on, I end up falling asleep & he doesn't get as much to eat or I'm scared of dropping him while I sleep. Since day 1 I've had him nap with the TV on or noise of some sort going. I want him to get used to sleeping with noise so our house doesn't have to be silent for naps and such. Nursing with the TV on keeps me awake and he's used to it so he'll go to sleep when he's ready.
  • imagespursgirl10:
    My kid has been watching TV since he was born I think.....he's perfectly fine.  He can sleep through any noise....he only watches tv when he wants.  He doesn't crave it because it was never forbidden for him.  He's a super smart kid.  Especially in math.  He's a great athlete.  He can have a meaningful conversation with you and he's only 11.  TV had no awful side affect on him.  But we don't make TV a big deal.  If you want to have a TV in the nursery go for it.  You kid will be able to sleep with noise which is the best.  I hate going to my friends house when I have to whisper because the baby is sleeping.  That annoys me to no end!!!

I agree!  I think having a tv is no big deal.  I  will probably do it myself.  My sister had one in her son's  room and it was a life saver some nights when he was sick and she had to sit up with him.   He is 18 months now and doing great with all his developmental milestones.  He doesn't even watch it.  She would turn it down and then off once he was asleep.  Please don't let people you barely know convince you it's such a horrible thing. 

• Give me a break!!!  Don't let anyone make you feel bad about what you do with YOUR child if you have what's best for him/her in mind.  I think what you meant by your question was that you would be watching the tv while feeding or rocking the baby to sleep.  Not blaring it full blast or sitting your baby down three feet from the screen and making it watch!  None of these people are doctors.  Has it been medically proven that having a tv on in the same room as your baby is dangerous to it's development?  Oh, one study they found on the internet, congratulations....  And yes, I do have a tv in my nursery, and I plan to watch it (not on full blast) while I breastfeed and rock my baby.  These moms need to lighten up and worry about their own children.  You don't need to ask for validation from complete strangers, you'll be fine.

• My husband and I plan on having a small tv in our nursery. For the reason you stated, to have when we are breastfeeding and rocking the baby to sleep. When I nannied I used to sing to the baby and still plan on doing that with my child. I also think that unless you turn the tv into the babysitter then there is no reason not to allow it. My niece is 2 and loves Dora and she loved Dora before then and because of this she is way above her milestones, because Dora helped her thru interaction to talk. I think that if you want it you should have it. Do not let them bring it about to be a bad thing. Everyone is different and how they raise their kidds will be different.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"