Birth Stories
Options

My overdue birth story - includes DH passing out

Better late than never!  Our son is almost 8 months old, and I can still remember every second of his birthday like it was just this morning.

I really loved reading the birth stories on here while I was pregnant, so here it is...

I was due on 11/17 and as it was my first pregnancy, I was assuming I would go late. 2 days before he was born, I was 38 weeks and had NO progress, so I was expecting it to still be a few weeks.

On Sunday 11/8, we were both "nesting" at home, cleaning, and I was making lots of meals to freeze. I had some BH contractions, but nothing that I thought was out of the ordinary.

Went to bed that night expecting to get up and go to work in the morning. Instead, I woke up at 2:30 a.m. with a contraction that was stronger than any BH I 'd had. Lay there in bed, didn't wake DH, and watched the clock. I had several exactly 17 minutes apart. I still didn't think anything was happening, but was uncomfortable enough that I went downstairs to read and time the contrax.

To my shock, they grew consistently closer together, and more intense. At 5:30 a.m. (still now sure how I went that long without waking DH! I guess I was just sure that this could not be "it" yet) I went upstairs and shook him, and told him that I thought it was time.

Contrax were 5 minutes apart and took my breath away by the time we left for the hospital. We were sent to a triage room to be checked, and I was 3 cm. I was so happy that it was finally time, but still pretty shocked. DH was too, and apologized for not believing me :) (He had taken his sweet time showering when I'd woken him up, and said "I know you're anxious and excited, but isn't it too early?")

The pain wasn't bad yet - definitely uncomfortable, but not horrible. I remember telling the nurse when asked that the pain was a 3 or 4 out of 10. JUST WAIT! 

When we were admitted to L&D, at 7 a.m. I was being wheeled in to the room and suddenly got uncontrollably nauseous. I vomited for almost an hour (dry heaving mainly since I hadn't eaten). At 5 cm (9 a.m.) I asked for an epi.

It took for.ev.er for the anethesiologist to become available. It was really pretty bad. I was throwing up, my water broke, and then the contrax got crazy. I was pretty out of it, just breathing through them, squeezing my eyes shut, and not wanting to talk to anyone. 

The nurses had a hard time getting the IV line in my arm, and during the half hour (crazy) process of switching arms and getting a different nurse to try, poor DH passed out! So funny... he was holding my hand and watching them, and it must have just finally gotten to him. He just folded and fell to the floor. They had to give him some juice and he lay on the floor for a few minutes just to be safe. He is mortified by this now.

Finally got the epi at 10:30 a.m., and an hour & a half later, I was 10 cm.

I was in heaven with the epi and was shaking with excitement and nerves.

Was finally told I could start to push, and after 15 minutes, William Wesley came into the world. The cord was wrapped around his neck, but they didn't tell me until later. I tore (2nd degree), and had stitches while they cleaned him up. Everything is happy blur after that - we fell in love at 1:02 p.m. on November 9.

Good luck to all of the expectant Mommies!

In my bag: Canon 60D, 50mm 1.4, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430exii Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: My overdue birth story - includes DH passing out

• Options
    Great story! Glad you finally posted. Your little man is so handsome! Congratulations!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Same thing happened to me when I got an epi with DD, I was only 5 cm and was ready to push an hour later!  I'm hoping to get it sooner this time so it can wear off a little, I couldn't feel a thing and it was a little hard to tell what I was doing while pushing, but I can't really complain about a completely pain free delivery!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Great job! Congrats! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"