Baby Names

too redneck?

So..we live in a really small farm town in Kentucky...we are rednecksLol! We are having a boy and having trouble deciding on a nameI have always thought I would want my sons middle name to be Caleb, after my grandfather. BUT not only does it not seem to flow well with other names we like MILs brothers name is Caleb and they are vain enough to think its after him. Soooo, I have almost convinced myself to forego Caleb and go with Brantley Gunner. We both really like brantley but dh is stuck on gunner. I'm just afraid that because of where we live it will be consider really redneck. mil has already informed us that we can't name a kid that and that its a horrible awful ignorant name. Does anyone else think the two names together are horrible?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: too redneck?

• NMS and definitely sounds like the name of a country singer, but I've heard worse.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Caleb is a cute name. If you like it, you should use it.

I have no idea what to do with Brantley, to be honest. It looks like you misspelled Bradley.

And yeah....Gunner doesn't really help.

• Loading the player...
  • Caleb is a good solid name for me, not overdone in my area, and bilbical.

Brantley - I'm not sure where this came from; it's not showing up on any of my usual name websites, and as far as I can tell, it's a county in Georgia or a new, made up name. The 'ley' gives it a slightly feminine feel - even though it seems like a boys name. (why the formlery all man name Ashley became a girls name). All that said, unless it's a family name or something really significant, it's not really my style.

Gunner is an occupation, but Gunnar is a name

https://www.behindthename.com/name/gunnar

As a middle name I don't see it doing a lot of harm. Most redneck names would fall under this blog post I think...

https://nameberry.com/blog/2010/05/26/hillbilly-names-rubes-hayseeds-and-bumpkins/

ETA: Oh wow, I just found out that Caleb means dog in Hebrew. I feel slightly disenchanted.

https://www.behindthename.com/name/caleb

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • I don't think Brantley is a good name. Gunner (eh, nms). Caleb is the best pick. Yes, Brantley Gunner sounds redneck.
  • britabbritab member
    I know a few dogs named Gunnar, so that's what I think of. What about Bradley or something similar to Caleb?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I don't hate Brantley but I do hate Gunner!

My only concern is Brantley getting shortened to Brant and I'm not sure I love that.

I think your MIL is being overly cautious. We've decided that each parent gets ONE veto off our SUPER long list but after that we don't care what they think.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • First off ignore your MIL.

I'd almost want to really name him that since she hates it! But that is just me! Ha!

I'm not hating Brantley but it's the kind of name that makes you double take....

I think it would grow on people!

For some reason Brantley Gunnar sounds kinda cool! But a lillte bit of a mouth full....

But I also keep thinking "Grantley"....almost like a mix of those names...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Brantley is definitely horrible.  Paired with Gunner...I can hear the banjos dueling quietly in the distance.  How about Bradley?
    I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • Brantley actually is a country singers name...LOL. my husband is so stuck on Gunner/Gunnar that he almost refuses to go with anything else. If we go with Caleb, we don't want him to be called Caleb, so he would be Gunner. And I really don't want that. Any ideas on different names that go with it?
  • Gunner = redneck for sure. But it's your kid, so it's up to you. GL! 
  • I love the name Caleb. Brantley and Gunnar are both awful IMO.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• I really dislike Brantley - it sounds girly and made up. 

ETA: How about Brent or Grant?

• ames71ames71 member

First, forget what the in-laws are assuming. If you both like Caleb then go for it. After you mention that it's after your grandfather a few times they should get the point. If not, I still wouldn't worry about it.

I had a female employee named Brantley a few years ago, so I associate it with a girl, but really it's more masculine sounding. Gunner doesn't strike me as "redneck" per se, but I'm not crazy about the two names together.

• sgb721sgb721 member

I'd keep Caleb for the middle name after your grandfather and I'd just be loud and clear who he's named after. Brantley Caleb is nice :)

TTC since June 2010
    5 Angels

Lilypie - (hlC0)
  • I'd go with Brantley Caleb.

Forget the Gunner part. 

• nms but if you do use gunner, i would go with the older spelling gunnar. that might help with the word association issue, but i still don't really like it much.

i'm not a fan of brantley as it sounds really trendy and made up to me but if i were to go with that, i'd do a more common middle name like harrison or some family name you have that goes better with brantley. i would try to avoid a 2 syllable name in combination with brantley.

• I love Caleb, but really dislike Brantley and Gunner.
    Married July 3, 2009 | Furbaby Trevor July 15, 2009 | Furbaby Darcy May 15, 2010 | BFP August 14, 2012 | DD April 18, 2013
  • imageizzourclue:
    Brantley is definitely horrible.  Paired with Gunner...I can hear the banjos dueling quietly in the distance.  How about Bradley?

Yes 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • If it were me... I would use Caleb and would make sure to always add "after my grandfather" when telling people his name (especially in front of MIL, just for fun.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • If it helps, I am from the South and I have heard the name Brantley my whole life... I graduated with at least 3 of them  (all boys). I don't love it really, but it's not made up. Not a fan of Gunner though... that does sound redneck. But I would just go with Caleb, IMO.
    Induction of mo/di twin boys scheduled for 2/24! Pregnancy Ticker}
  • imageizzourclue:
    Brantley is definitely horrible.  Paired with Gunner...I can hear the banjos dueling quietly in the distance.  How about Bradley?

This. I actually like Bradley. It still feels a little redneck with the middle name, but if you are okay with Gunnar, most people won't hear his middle name anyway.

• Oh my.  I live in a small town in Kentucky too and would not use this.  As a PP said, it sounds like a country singer.  Then again, people I know just named their son Remington Colt, which is waaaay worse.  I like Brantley or Gunner, but not both...maybe as a middle name for Caleb.

• Love Caleb, really hate Gunner.  
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Brantley is bad.  Brantley Gunner is really bad.  And yes, it does sound redneck to me.  Sorry.
  • First off, where in KY do you live? I'm from KY, too.

I like the name Brantley. But I think it's one of those names that I like, but wouldn't like for my own son. If that makes sense. ha It makes me think of Brantley Gilbert (whom I love).

Gunner isn't the best, I like the spelling Gunnar better. But hey, to each his own, right?!?

I love the name Caleb. I think it's super cute. What about Caleb Brantley?

Bottom line it's what YOU like...well, and of course, DH, too. So which name puts a smile on your face?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagekishabuis:
    Brantley actually is a country singers name...LOL. 

Okay, that does seem a bit redneck. Smile I like Gilbert though.

Much better than Dierks Bentley anyway.

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • I'm not seeing a whole lot of people who like Brantley Gunner, but I personally love the name! :) Congrats and GL!
    Emmett Rhys~born on October 26, 2012.
  • I like all of your names. If you want to do Caleb ignore your MIL. If you go w/ Brantly Gunner I think that's cute too. Maybe a bit redneck but then I am a redneck and proud of it so go for it. Gunner is no worse than Hunter, Stone, Remmington, Blaise or many of the other outdoorsy/redneck names going around and a bit better if you ask me!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Neither are my style but I think Gunnar Brantley sounds better than Brantley Gunnar
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"