Trouble TTC
Options

Progesterone level 2-3dpo?

I feel silly asking this, but my ob/gyn is confusing me. I know a progesterone level should be done 7 dpo, but my ob/gyn (going to an RE next month) insisted that it should be done on CD21 regardless of ovulation time. I got a VERY positive OPK on CD 18 late at night at around 10pm and it was the first time the test line has ever been a lot darker than the control line, so I was pretty sure I ovulated. They just called and said my level was 5.6 so it indicated I hadn't. When I asked about only being 3 dpo she said she didn't think it mattered, but isn't the reason for testing at 7dpo because that's when it peaks? Is 3 dpo too soon to tell anything? Does anyone know how 5.6 sounds? Sorry to post and run, but have to run to a meeting!
photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg

Re: Progesterone level 2-3dpo?

• Options
    3 dpo is definitely too early to do a P4. Ask for a redraw at 7 and find another OB!
    My Blog

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    SAIF Always Welcome
    Diagnosed with PCOS: 10/03, On BCP to "treat" until: 7/09
    Provera to end Cycles 1-9 (anovulatory)
    Cycle #4 & 5: Clomid 50 mg FAIL
    RE Visit: 2000 mg Metformin
    Cycle 6:Forced Break, looking for androgen secreting tumor
    Cycle 7:Clomid CD 3-10, 12-17 FAIL
    Cycle 8: Clomid CD 3-10, Bravelle CD 12-24 Hyperstimmed
    New RE: Put on Byetta, lost 23 lbs
    Cycle 9: Financial Break
    Cycle 10: Femara CD 3-7, IUI CD 17 BFP on 2/14/11, m/c 3/7/11
  • Options

I believe over 5 does indicate you ovulated and since it is probably very early after when you did this number would be lower than it would be at 7DPO.  I would def. request to go back in for another test in 4 or 5 days.

I agree that you should see another doctor who understands not everyone ovulates on CD14.

TTC since 07/2009
    Me: PCOS, Blood/Immune Issues DH: Low all 3
    Jun.- Sep. 2010 IUI#1-#3 = BFN
    Oct. 2010 = IVF #1 = B/G Twins (passed away Feb. 2011)
    May 2011 = Myomectomy and trans-abdominal cerclage (TAC)
    Sep. 2011 = Surprise BFP = C/P
    Feb. 2012 = sFET #1 = BFN
    Feb.2012 = Hail Mary IUI #4 = BFN
    April/May 2012 = FET #2 w/our last two embies = BFP (Please let this be it!)
    Beta #1 8dp5/6dt = 234 Beta #2 10dp5/6dt = 695 Beta #3 12dp5/6dt = 1796 Beta #4 17dp5/6dt = 17,888 U/S #1 May 17, 2012 = Twins
    Baby B's heart stop beating at 9 weeks 5 days
    Our little miracle baby is a boy. :)

Baby Boy Owen and Baby Girl Avery were born too early on Feb. 13, 2011 due to a pedunculated fibroid, incompetent cervix and suspected placental abruption.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

"What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose." - Henry Ward Beecher
    SAIF/PAIF Welcome
    Lots of love and luck to my PAIF/3T/IF Veteran ladies, especially my dear friend Zookie. Congrats to Papps, Teach84 and Starbuck on their little ones.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

actually, that level at 3dpo is a good level, but I would still get rechecked at 7dpo. I have draws at 7dpo come back at less than 1, truely no ovulation.

I have had draws done every other day starting 5 days prior ovulation to 13dpo, so the levels go up and then down like a sine curve, peaking at 7dpo.

Katie, PCOS since May 2005, Fostering since November 2010 Adoption since December 2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    *PCOS bio* *Cold Hands, Warm Heart*
  • Options
    The same things happened to me last cycle before i went in to see me RE. I got my level drawn at 4dpo and it was 11 and my OB was like oh no u didnt O. So i told him that it was too early to have drawn the level and they didnt seem to think that was an issue. When i went in to the RE i told her and she said that with a level of 11 i def. O'ed. Are you temping because if u r u will see u temp spikes and that will confirm O. GL
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Actually at my OB's office they have me come back 3 days after the 2nd IUI to check progesterone.  Last cycle mine was at a 16, and they said that was good b/c they like to see it at or above 10.

I asked why it's done at 3 dpiui instead of 7, and they told me that they want to make sure that my lining is nice and "cushy".  If they wait until 7 dpiui to check and there's a problem with the number, sometimes it's too late to correct it.  By checking it earlier they have a better shot at fixing any problem that may come up.

It's standard practice there to check it at 3 dpiui.  GL.

Mr. & Mrs. UMich! July 2006! :-)
    DX: High FSH/DOR
    It took 44 cycles, just over 3 years, 6 failed IUI's in MI, and 1 round of IVF at CCRM to get our BFP!

Beta #1 (9dp5dt) = 206, Beta #2 (11dp5dt) = 438
    1st u/s @ 6w5d = 11/11/11 = ONE little bean! HB 120bpm!
    ?Our Baby Boy Born June 26th, 2012?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. I REALLY do not like this place and already requested my records to move on to a different OB, aside from the RE. The nurse could not answer any of my questions and said the Dr. would call me tomorrow and go over them and talk about starting 100mg of Clomid next cycle. I told her that the Dr. was welcome to call, but that I had scheduled an appt. at an RE and wasn't comfortable taking Clomid without monitoring. Her words were, "Oh, well talk to the Dr. about that. I'm sure she would be more than happy to do a monthly vaginal exam to check for cysts." urmmmm... So I said well what about a baseline ultrasound to check for cysts since we know I have a problem with cysts and then another one to check follicle development, etc. etc. and I could tell it was all jibberish to her. Tomorrow I will be 8-9 dpo (I guess I'm not still completely sure which since it was so late in the day) so I think I'd like another one to check.
  • Options
    imagenickcrazy16:
    Are you temping because if u r u will see u temp spikes and that will confirm O. GL
    Nah. I'm sure I should be, but I got tired of temping every morning after about a year and the temps were all showing me not ovulating.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"