Success after IF
Options

I failed the 1 hour

Now what?? I'm not happy since both of my parents have type 2 diabetes and I don't need any more signs of getting it in the future. 

I just got the message I didn't pass and the nurse said I'd get information on the next step... What should I expect with the 3 hour? What should I expect if I don't pass that one?

imageimage
Married 8.13.2005, M/C 12/8/06- 5 weeks, M/C 2/27/07- 7 weeks, M/C w/ D&C 8/10/09-6.5 weeks *Charles Lawrence born 5/2/08 @ 3:14am, 7lb 8oz, 20.5 inches. Clomid, Crinone and baby aspirin. *Alexandra Claire born 9/14/10 @ 9:52am 6lb 14oz, 20.5 inches. Femara, Crinone and baby aspirin. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: I failed the 1 hour

• Options

The 3 hour is dull! Bring entertainment like books or an i-pod. It is 4 blood draws (fasting, 1 hour, 2 hour 3 hour). If you fail 2 of the 4 draws, you fail the 3 hour and are diagnosed GD (which I was). I was diet controlled and needed no insulin or anything. It is just a diet watching your amount of carbs you eat. (15 grams of carbs = 1 carb serving) You get limited the amount of carb servings you can have per meal and snack. You also have to watch your proteins as well. The worse part for me was drawing my blood sugars 4 times a day. Never liked that part.

A lot of people fail the 1 hour and pass the 3 hour so I hope you are one of hte lucky ones.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I failed the 1hr by 1 frikkin' point. I had to do the 3hr, but passed that one just fine.

As above said well, you have more blood draws and get comfortable in the waiting room :)

Don't stress. It will be OK no matter what the results :)

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I failed the 1hr and passed the 3hr with flying colors. I took my computer with me and worked most of the time. If you have a portable dvd player, that would be a good idea too. The orange goo made me feel a little sickly the second time around, so if you need to lay down, just ask and they should have a place for you.

Henry and Papa at the farm
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Sorry!  I failed the 1 hour by ONE point!  The three hour test was rough for me.  They gave me a diet to follow for a few days...maybe a week?  Then I went in early for the test on an empty stomach.  They did a blood draw and then had me drink the glucose drink and sent me to the waiting room.  After about 5 minutes I thought I was going to puke or pass out so they put me in a private room in a recliner.  I stayed in there the whole time reading a book and felt much better.  They did the blood draws each hour and then let me eat the snacks I brought before I left.

I'm not sure what happens if you don't pass the 3 hour.  Good luck!

Clomid M/C 8 weeks 2/08 *IVF #1-DD born 3/09
    *Surprise BFP-T18 baby lost at 13w 1/10 *FET #1-DS born 2/11
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I failed the 1 hour but passed the 3 hour (diabetes runs rampant in my family as well but type 1 in my family).  I'm not sure what you can expect if you fail other than diet changes but the actual test isn't really that bad.  It's just boring, and I was hungry and thirsty by the end of it.  Bring something to eat and drink as soon as you're done or have somewhere close to stop for something.  Also bring a book or some other entertainment.  Good luck!!
    After 2 years and 6 IUIs, we did it with IVF w/ ICSI!
    BFP with no treatment!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    aww!!  bummer!!  I'm sorry that you have to go take the 3 hour one!!  It wasn't too bad...just boring to sit there...I brought my laptop and watched some tv shows on Hulu.com.  As far as if you are actually diagnosed, it really depends on whether or not your blood sugars can be controlled by diet (most are...you end up eating lots of low carb mini-meals to keep it steady)...I think most people have to check their blood sugar after eating.  Good luck skimmy!!!  When are you taking it?
  • Options

take magazines to read on the 3hr or a laptop.  I took a laptop and that made it go by so quickly. 

the 3hr sucks and is 4 blood draws.  they should just call it the 4hr although you aren't there the 4hrs.

if you fail that one, you will likely be referred to a peri/MFM for high risk care.  They give you a diet to follow, show you how to draw blood and ask you to write down your numbers and send them.  The only plus is NST (non stress tests) and the BPP (biophysical profiles - extra u/s to see your little girl). 

At birth, they test the baby, but they test you too..

good luck, Ihope you don't have it.  I've had it both times and this time I didn't cry when I found out.  it is manageable.

• Options
    Hopefully you'll be just fine with the 3 hour!  I had had a 2 hour while TTC #1 and did just fine, so I was surprised when I failed the 1 hr when pg.  I did the 3 hour the very next morning.  Turns out, I can pass the baseline, 2 hour (pg or not), and 3 hour with flying colors, just not the 1 hour.  In fact, I was NO where near the cutoff for the 3 hour (knock on wood seeing as I'll have to do the whole thing again in a few months!).  Also, I was allowed to leave and run errands and come back, but I think I did that just once; I know I felt woozy for a bit around the one hour mark, but then I felt great, just obviously hungry. ;)  The only reason they bother with the 1 hour is to enable people who aren't at risk not to have to take the 3 hour, but most people who take the 3 hour pass no problem.  So, it's not fun, but you will likely be just fine.  Good luck!!!
    Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
    Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
    Our early Christmas present 12/9/10
  • Options

hmm, that is interesting that alchris could leave the test to run errands. 

I was told I couldn't even walk around as they said that counted as exercise and that I couldn't do that while doing the 3hr.

• Options
    I have a message in to find out how bad I failed. The receptionist laughed at me! (not in a bad way!) I bet I have to do it next week and I am not looking forward to it as I felt like crap after the 1  hour last week. I barely passed with Charlie so I wasn't real surprised.
    imageimage
    Married 8.13.2005, M/C 12/8/06- 5 weeks, M/C 2/27/07- 7 weeks, M/C w/ D&C 8/10/09-6.5 weeks *Charles Lawrence born 5/2/08 @ 3:14am, 7lb 8oz, 20.5 inches. Clomid, Crinone and baby aspirin. *Alexandra Claire born 9/14/10 @ 9:52am 6lb 14oz, 20.5 inches. Femara, Crinone and baby aspirin. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageJGirl2005:

hmm, that is interesting that alchris could leave the test to run errands. 

I was told I couldn't even walk around as they said that counted as exercise and that I couldn't do that while doing the 3hr.

It *might* have been just because I had passed easily at the 2 hour mark that they weren't worried about the 3 hour, but in all honesty I don't remember in what hour stretch (more like 45 minutes) I was gone as I stayed in the office the other two hours.  BUT, I also knew in advance that I'd be able to leave, so I don't know if there were any conditions or not.  I think I just went to Costco and back -- it wasn't a lot of time.  (Hmm, or maybe it was Target...I don't remember being bummed that I couldn't have any free samples, hee hee.)  Yikes, I guess 3 years is a long time in some ways!

Skimmy, UGH on not hearing back as you go!  I knew within 3 minutes of each draw, which was so reassuring.

Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
    Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
    Our early Christmas present 12/9/10
  • Options
    They called back... I had a 141 and their cutoff was 135 AUGH!!!!!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Hey Skim I barely failed like you with Trig and I passed the 3 hour with flying colors. It's just boring sitting there so bring a book, computer, or whatever. Good luck!!!
  • Options

Bring something to entertain yourself at the 3 hour!

I failed the 1 hour (PCOS) and passed the 3 hour with flying colors.

GL!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Savannah
    image.
    Callista
    Baby Trail Blog
    "Someday we will look at our babies and know it will be worth it. If it was easy, we would not have had our babies, the babies we were meant to have." From Amy052006
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Same thing happened to me this time. The worst part about the 3 hour to me was the drink-- it's yucky. Lots and lots of people pass the 3 hour after failing the 1 hour-- I did and I hope you will too!

Honestly, it wasn't all that bad to have 3 hours totally to myself with nothing to do but read a book!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"