TTC after 35
Options

Need insight...a sort of WWYD

So I am volunteering at a local hospital to keep myself busy.  Before I start this I had to get 2 TB test done. Since I had the nerve to not have my vaccination card from when I was 5 on hand (read this very sarcastically because, yes, the nurse was annoyed that at 38 I did not have this on hand) I had to also be checked to see if I was immune to mumps, measles, and rubella.

I am not immune. I had a feeling this was going to happen because with my first pregnancy I had prenatal blood work done that showed this. I was sent, by my OB, to an infectious disease Dr  who told me that it was a false reading and not to worry.  Great!

I did tell the nurse that I was TTC which she responded with 'okay well then never mind, just come back when you are no longer TTC and/or not pregnant'.   So I assume from her response that while I should be vaccinated it's not dire I get done before conceiving.

My WWYD is this: Would you call your RE and tell them this?  They have my chart from my OB so they should know about this assuming my OB sent my entire chart to him (which they would, right?).  Is anyone out there not immune and has been pregnant?  Would you get the vaccine even if that means putting off TTC another 3 months (I have been TTC for almost 3 years)? 

My immune system is sort of kick a$$..actually a little too kick a$$ since it fights the good and evil....and I rarely get sick.  I can not remember the last time I had really bad cold. 

Re: Need insight...a sort of WWYD

• Options
    I don't have any real advice per se...but I would give a quick call to the RE just to make sure you not getting the vaccine doesn't put a wrench in your plans.   GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I put a call in to my RE. I know I should just suck it up and get it done because of the (very slim) chance I could get it BUT the idea of waiting another 3 months sucks.  

I've been looking things up on line and I've a couple places that some people the vaccine doesn't work for. What if I'm one of those people.  

GAH, I swear sometimes I feel like the universe is telling me I'm not meant to be pregnant.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry you have to go thru this. I hate when cycles are post-poned. Good luck deciding.
  • Options

hopefully your RE will be able to shed a little light.  I know how torn you are, and how frustrated you'll be if you end up having to wait another 3 months.

Sorry you have to deal with this!!   I share your feeling about the universe and if there was something I could do to make it better, I absolutely would!

{{HUGS}}

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Well Rach, at least we can drink our sorrows away....I guess it's something! Bottoms up! Drinks

So I talked to my RE and I need to get the vaccine BUT it only puts it off 30 days instead of  90 days so I can live with that.  I just really wish I had gotten this done 2 years ago. Super Angry

• Options

I think if I found out I was not immune before getting KU'd, I would get the vaccine and wait the 3 months.  Once you are pregnant, your previous immune system (mine is really good too) really doesn't exist anymore.  Pregnant women are actually considered immune suppressed the same as cancer patients going through chemo.  Ruebella is pretty dangerous to get while pregnant, so I would take care of it before.  You're RE should have checked your status when you first started seeing them so I am surprised they didn't tell you so you could decide.  I got checked when I told my OB I was TTC.

BTW, I have no idea where my vaccination card even is.   

ETA:  Sorry, I didn't read all responses.  I guess you know what you are doing now.  Good you only have to wait 30 days though!  I would be asking them why they didn't check this before though. 

I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • Options
    image*Chicken*:

I put a call in to my RE. I know I should just suck it up and get it done because of the (very slim) chance I could get it BUT the idea of waiting another 3 months sucks.  

I've been looking things up on line and I've a couple places that some people the vaccine doesn't work for. What if I'm one of those people.  

GAH, I swear sometimes I feel like the universe is telling me I'm not meant to be pregnant.

Aw, this is not true.  The universe is just making sure you will be perfect and healthy when you do :) 

I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • Options
    I knew your RE would tell you to do it.  Mine did too (showed no vaccinee to chicken pox).  I did get the vaccine ( a series of two shots 30 days apart which made it about 60 days of no TTC).  For me, it was frustrating and I had to wait 60 days but I don't really think I would have ever gotten chicken pox...who knows.  Plus, my mom and grandmother remember me having it as a kid. 
  • Options

imageMDBeachbride:
    I knew your RE would tell you to do it.  Mine did too (showed no vaccinee to chicken pox).  I did get the vaccine ( a series of two shots 30 days apart which made it about 60 days of no TTC).  For me, it was frustrating and I had to wait 60 days but I don't really think I would have ever gotten chicken pox...who knows.  Plus, my mom and grandmother remember me having it as a kid. 

I think the nurse mentioned two shots as well, the first one I'm getting Friday and then the 2nd one 30 days from then.  Since I have to take one month of BCP pills before starting Gonal-f it really only puts the Gonal-f off an extra month.  So instead of not starting the G-f in August I will probably start them in September. 

The good thing is that I have to take BCP during this time so my cycles will be only 28-30 days and not 37-40 days like they usually are.

Here's the part that I don't get. If I had my immunization card, they would have never tested me for this.  If it's important, and I do think it is, why don't they just test people who are over a certain age, KWIM?  I know I read it's rare to have the immunization either wear off or not take in a person but it  does happen. I'm 99.9% certain my mom had me vaccinated for all the vaccines they gave out in the 1970's and if she didn't my dad, whose is a Dr, certainly would have had me get them. So I'm obviously one of those people who it either doesn't take or it wore off.  

I'm also a bit surprised that I was not tested for this before TTC and before seeing the RE.  

• Options
    imageizzourclue:

ETA:  Sorry, I didn't read all responses.  I guess you know what you are doing now.  Good you only have to wait 30 days though!  I would be asking them why they didn't check this before though. 

I might, especially with my OB.  My Re might not have because it might have said in my chart that I had a false negative the last time I tested.

• Options
    image*Chicken*:

imageMDBeachbride:

I think the nurse mentioned two shots as well, the first one I'm getting Friday and then the 2nd one 30 days from then.  Since I have to take one month of BCP pills before starting Gonal-f it really only puts the Gonal-f off an extra month.  So instead of not starting the G-f in August I will probably start them in September. 

The good thing is that I have to take BCP during this time so my cycles will be only 28-30 days and not 37-40 days like they usually are.

Here's the part that I don't get. If I had my immunization card, they would have never tested me for this.  If it's important, and I do think it is, why don't they just test people who are over a certain age, KWIM?  I know I read it's rare to have the immunization either wear off or not take in a person but it  does happen. I'm 99.9% certain my mom had me vaccinated for all the vaccines they gave out in the 1970's and if she didn't my dad, whose is a Dr, certainly would have had me get them. So I'm obviously one of those people who it either doesn't take or it wore off.  

I'm also a bit surprised that I was not tested for this before TTC and before seeing the RE.  

Even if you've been immunized, its only good for so long.  So if you weren't vaccinated since childhood, you wouldn't have any antibodies left.  I had to be vaccinated in 2000 to start a new job (since I didn't have my shot records).  I am still immune.  Even if you had your card, your OB should still have tested your immunity since it had been so long.  Its like the tetanus shot.  Only good for about 10 years. 

• Options
    imageizzourclue:
    image*Chicken*:

imageMDBeachbride:

Even if you've been immunized, its only good for so long.  So if you weren't vaccinated since childhood, you wouldn't have any antibodies left.  I had to be vaccinated in 2000 to start a new job (since I didn't have my shot records).  I am still immune.  Even if you had your card, your OB should still have tested your immunity since it had been so long.  Its like the tetanus shot.  Only good for about 10 years. 

I agree. I was talking about the hospital for volunteer purposes, they would not have tested me if I had my vaccination card.  

• Options
    I will tell you that it's not a wait of 3 months anymore..it's only 1 month..so call your RE & get the shots now.. heaven forbid you were to get pg & get the measles or something.. GL
    IVF - 9/09 - BFN! :( IVF #2 - ER 3/16; ET 3/18 with one embryo Beta 3/30 -- BFN! :( IVF #3 - 5/10 - BFN! IVF #4 - 11/10 - BFP. m/c at 6weeks :( FET #1 - 2/11 - BFP. beta on 2/21 :) Thank you God! :) u/s on 3/7 showed TWINS! u/s on 3/11 TWO heartbeats! Couldn't be happier :)
  • Options

LOL, like you would have that on you!!

I would call the RE, just to be safe :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"